2A WEST CONTENDERS

Overland

Very little discussion this offseason on the 2A teams out west. There has been much discussion on the teams in the East. So who is the favorite to make a run out of the west and make it to Chattanooga? 

Region 5: Watered down after Lewis Co and Eagleville departed. Forrest or Summertown could be sleepers. 

Region 6: Lewis Co/ Riverside winner should be favored. Can Adamsville make a run?

Region 7: Huntingdon and Westview are getting all the hype. Union City returns to greatness?

Region 8: Who knows what's coming out of Memphis this season. 

Cascade High School (Bell Buckle, TN)
Forrest High School (Chapel Hill, TN)
Loretto High School (Loretto, TN)
Mt. Pleasant High School (Mt. Pleasant, TN)
Richland High School (Lynnville, TN)
Summertown High School (Summertown, TN)

Adamsville High School (Adamsville, TN)
Decatur Co. Riverside High School (Decaturville, TN)
Hickman Co. High School (Centerville, TN)
Lewis Co. High School (Hohenwald, TN)
Scotts Hill High School (Reagan, TN)

Huntingdon High School (Huntingdon, TN)
Union City High School (Union City, TN)
Westview High School (Martin, TN)

Fairley High School (Memphis, TN)
Hillcrest High School (Memphis, TN)
Manassas High School (Memphis, TN)
Mitchell High School (Memphis, TN)
Oakhaven High School (Memphis, TN)
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Overland said:

Very little discussion this offseason on the 2A teams out west. There has been much discussion on the teams in the East. So who is the favorite to make a run out of the west and make it to Chattanooga? 

Region 5: Watered down after Lewis Co and Eagleville departed. Forrest or Summertown could be sleepers. 

Region 6: Lewis Co/ Riverside winner should be favored. Can Adamsville make a run?

Region 7: Huntingdon and Westview are getting all the hype. Union City returns to greatness?

Region 8: Who knows what's coming out of Memphis this season. 

Cascade High School (Bell Buckle, TN)
Forrest High School (Chapel Hill, TN)
Loretto High School (Loretto, TN)
Mt. Pleasant High School (Mt. Pleasant, TN)
Richland High School (Lynnville, TN)
Summertown High School (Summertown, TN)

Adamsville High School (Adamsville, TN)
Decatur Co. Riverside High School (Decaturville, TN)
Hickman Co. High School (Centerville, TN)
Lewis Co. High School (Hohenwald, TN)
Scotts Hill High School (Reagan, TN)

Huntingdon High School (Huntingdon, TN)
Union City High School (Union City, TN)
Westview High School (Martin, TN)

Fairley High School (Memphis, TN)
Hillcrest High School (Memphis, TN)
Manassas High School (Memphis, TN)
Mitchell High School (Memphis, TN)
Oakhaven High School (Memphis, TN)

I can say 7 is a train wreck as far as travel for the fan bases go ! UC will compete in a region that will be extremely weak, Westviews type of ball gives UC trouble so I honestly see it shaking out as follows

1 Westview Martin

2-3 Stangs or Tornadoes

4- Camden

5 Houston Cty

6 GC

just a from the hip opinion, in reality I except Camden to become a contender within a couple years , I really dont know what UC will be but they can never be just overlooked, I am leaning towards Stangs at 2 but time will tell! Martin will give 2 A fits with the passing game IMO !

15 hours ago, Yeti said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was either Westview or maybe Riverside. Just an uneducated guess from an East side fan. I picked those because they could meet in the semis and whoever wins represents the West. 

Riverside has been well coached and very solid under Frost, your prediction knowing what we know now looks spot on honestly ! Talk about 2 teams that could meet in the playoffs being the opposite style from each other is a understatement 

2 hours ago, PeabodyPride said:

Riverside has been well coached and very solid under Frost, your prediction knowing what we know now looks spot on honestly ! Talk about 2 teams that could meet in the playoffs being the opposite style from each other is a understatement 

Lewis always has a good season it seems, but some of that seemsto be attributed to an easy schedule or they just really buckle in the playoffs. Riverside has been pretty good the last few years but lack an offense to match their defense. Forrest seems to be really good one year and just above average the next. With Waverly gone its really hard to say. Huntingdon is well known for being a really competitive team but offensive play calling or style seems to kill them in most big games from what I've read. You never know when a Fairley or McKenzie type team will pop up from that side though. Wonder who the Dark Horse might be this year. I looked up Westview and they will need a much improved defense to match what offense they had to be really competitive compared to what the state game teams managed to bring the last few years. Anyhow just my 2cents.

Edited by Yeti

21 minutes ago, Yeti said:

Lewis always has a good season it seems, but some of that seemsto be attributed to an easy schedule or they just really buckle in the playoffs. Riverside has been pretty good the last few years but lack an offense to match their defense. Forrest seems to be really good one year and just above average the next. With Waverly gone its really hard to say. Huntingdon is well known for being a really competitive team but offensive play calling or style seems to kill them in most big games from what I've read. You never know when a Fairley or McKenzie type team will pop up from that side though. Wonder who the Dark Horse might be this year. I looked up Westview and they will need a much improved defense to match what offense they had to be really competitive compared to what the state game teams managed to bring the last few years. Anyhow just my 2cents.

I wouldn't bet against Camden to be that "dark horse" team that you're looking for. They didn't seem to have the talent pool to challenge the top of the region coming back, but McConnell is an offensive wizard when he has the athletes to run his system...we'll just have to see what he can do with "average" kids.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

I wouldn't bet against Camden to be that "dark horse" team that you're looking for. They didn't seem to have the talent pool to challenge the top of the region coming back, but McConnell is an offensive wizard when he has the athletes to run his system...we'll just have to see what he can do with "average" kids.

I've heard Many of the Waverly faithful sing the guys praise over the years. And I had forgotten about him as a coach. I could see them make a push with talent pool. Might be a good call bud.

31 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Average coaching with great kids usually beats great coaching with average kids except in the movies. With the top teams dropping to 1A, 2A especially the West, is wide open for a change. 

2 hours ago, PeabodyPride said:

I can say 7 is a train wreck as far as travel for the fan bases go ! UC will compete in a region that will be extremely weak, Westviews type of ball gives UC trouble so I honestly see it shaking out as follows

1 Westview Martin

2-3 Stangs or Tornadoes

4- Camden

5 Houston Cty

6 GC

just a from the hip opinion, in reality I except Camden to become a contender within a couple years , I really dont know what UC will be but they can never be just overlooked, I am leaning towards Stangs at 2 but time will tell! Martin will give 2 A fits with the passing game IMO !

That region may have 3 or 4 of the top five teams in 2A west. 

It's really a shot in the dark picking the west representative in 2A. Plenty of new teams and region 8 didn't even play a snap. I'd say Huntingdon and  Westview will contend, people seem to be overlooking teams like Riverside, Adamsville and Union City too. At the end of the day I wouldn't be shocked if whoever comes out of R8 carries the flag.  Mitchell or Freedom Prep usually have good teams. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

It's really a shot in the dark picking the west representative in 2A. Plenty of new teams and region 8 didn't even play a snap. I'd say Huntingdon and  Westview will contend, people seem to be overlooking teams like Riverside, Adamsville and Union City too. At the end of the day I wouldn't be shocked if whoever comes out of R8 carries the flag.  Mitchell or Freedom Prep usually have good teams. 

I agree with this. 

5 hours ago, Yeti said:

I've heard Many of the Waverly faithful sing the guys praise over the years. And I had forgotten about him as a coach. I could see them make a push with talent pool. Might be a good call bud.

McConnell is a heck of a coach.  Camden should  have a good season this year . If he has talent to run his style of offense then they could be dangerous 

• Sad 1