2A WEST CONTENDERS

Overland

1 hour ago, PurplePower68 said:

Hopefully they won't improve that much lol. You don't see a lot of 5 star qbs in small ball in TN so he obviously is talented. 

43 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Heck they could probably stay at the level they were at and have a big season. They likely won't play a team in the reg season as good as the top 3 in 7-3A last yr. Too bad that stud OT went to Henry county. He would be that anchor they need on the OL. 

I agree he is certainly a special talent and I do agree the easier schedule and potential for easier road in the west thru the playoffs will definitely benefit them. Having said that I think they will be improved as a team. The coaching staff was doing good things. 

I’ve seen Simpson play several times his first three years, and seen big improvement every year. He has definitely not had the protection of a good O line for sure. But I don’t think there’s a throw he cannot make. If he had the line to give him some time to set in the pocket he would pick a Defense apart. He can spin it! Can hurt you with his legs as well.

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree he is certainly a special talent and I do agree the easier schedule and potential for easier road in the west thru the playoffs will definitely benefit them. Having said that I think they will be improved as a team. The coaching staff was doing good things. 

Yeah I wasn't sure what to think when they hired coach Simpsons old QB but it's looking like a good fit from the outside in. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:29 PM, RedStateReject said:

Has Coach Wolfe at West Carroll stepped down? Listed on the Teachers of West TN Facebook page is a list of position openings and one is for HS head football coach. 

On 5/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, tradertwo said:

I wouldn't bet against Camden to be that "dark horse" team that you're looking for. They didn't seem to have the talent pool to challenge the top of the region coming back, but McConnell is an offensive wizard when he has the athletes to run his system...we'll just have to see what he can do with "average" kids.

;)

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

I'd like to catch Simpson and Hutchins live this season. 

Surely you're coming to the Marion game right? You'll get to see Hutchins. He's a small back, maybe 5'9 165 to 170. I watched him squat over 500 lbs. One of our former players has sons that play on the line at McCallie and have received a lot of D1 offers and one of them holds the squat record at McCallie at 535 lbs so I think that's pretty good for a kid his size. He is shifty and if he gets into the second level of a defense it's over.

6 minutes ago, Sidelinehustler said:

It surprises me the squat record at McCallie is 535. That’s a fantastic squat, no doubt. They have had so many huge, outstanding players though. 

It surprised me some too. I just saw the video on Twitter today. It's from February and it shows the squat and the claim of a school record. Austin Gentle is the young man's name. (He and his twin brother both received scholarships to Harvard.) We were talking about it at practice tonight and we have quite a few kids that can actually do that. Definitely a lot of weight for anyone but it did surprise me that our 165lb RB can do it.

10 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

It surprised me some too. I just saw the video on Twitter today. It's from February and it shows the squat and the claim of a school record. Austin Gentle is the young man's name. (He and his twin brother both received scholarships to Harvard.) We were talking about it at practice tonight and we have quite a few kids that can actually do that. Definitely a lot of weight for anyone but it did surprise me that our 165lb RB can do it.

Definitely an impressive lift for the young man.