2A WEST CONTENDERS

Overland

7 hours ago, Wavo2004 said:

McConnell is a heck of a coach.  Camden should  have a good season this year . If he has talent to run his style of offense then they could be dangerous 

That last part is my concern with Camden mainly when it comes to a QB. Camden as far as I recall traditionally runs the football. McConnell will need a QB to run his offense but I'm that part may take time. Also might be immediate who knows. I'd like to hear from the Lion faithful on their QB outlook. 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:22 AM, Overland said:

Average coaching with great kids usually beats great coaching with average kids except in the movies. With the top teams dropping to 1A, 2A especially the West, is wide open for a change. 

Average coaching with talent may beat above average, but great coaching makes average kids into good football players. Maryville vs. Whitehaven is the example...not knocking Maryville's kids, but Whitehaven was loaded with DI/power 5 talent and GQ usually exposed a weakness in their scheme to beat them when he shouldn't have had a chance player vs. player.

Not saying that McConnell is GQ, but he's one of the best at creating mismatches on offense. As for a change from the West, Peabody moved down and Waverly moved up...some "new" favorites will emerge.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, Yeti said:

Lewis always has a good season it seems, but some of that seemsto be attributed to an easy schedule or they just really buckle in the playoffs. 

The reason is both but primarily because they don’t play anyone, especially out of Region. 

What little I know about 2A ball, I’m surprised they are not in a region with Summertown and Richland. I can’t figure out how they have not been able to get away from being in the same region as Riverside. Look for region change ups after this season. Especially if the Hickman Co teams are strong.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:40 AM, PeabodyPride said:

Riverside has been well coached and very solid under Frost, your prediction knowing what we know now looks spot on honestly ! Talk about 2 teams that could meet in the playoffs being the opposite style from each other is a understatement 

I'm surprised a bigger or more prominent football school hasn't scooped coach Frost. Seems like Riverside has a reservation for at least the quarterfinals over the past few years.

12 hours ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

The reason is both but primarily because they don’t play anyone, especially out of Region. 

What little I know about 2A ball, I’m surprised they are not in a region with Summertown and Richland. I can’t figure out how they have not been able to get away from being in the same region as Riverside. Look for region change ups after this season. Especially if the Hickman Co teams are strong.

I wasnt throwing shade by any means, albeit I believe there is some merit to what you have been saying the last few years about them. At a guess they have an easy region schedule for the most part and just don't have the talent to make deep runs. 

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Average coaching with talent may beat above average, but great coaching makes average kids into good football players. Maryville vs. Whitehaven is the example...not knocking Maryville's kids, but Whitehaven was loaded with DI/power 5 talent and GQ usually exposed a weakness in their scheme to beat them when he shouldn't have had a chance player vs. player.

Not saying that McConnell is GQ, but he's one of the best at creating mismatches on offense. As for a change from the West, Peabody moved down and Waverly moved up...some "new" favorites will emerge.

Maryville's success says more about the reliability of recruiting grades than the talent on either team. Too many times the number of stars is based on potential based on height/ weight instead of football ability. There was no talent deficiency on those teams like there is right now with the Oakland bunch. 

McConnell had great success when he had a exceptional QB, RB, and WR on the same team.  One season he had great defensive players and he fielded a great defense. He hasn't been able to duplicate it yet at his other 2 stops running the same schemes.  When the talent gap closes his winning percentage will go back up. 

Too many times especially in 1A or 2A I've seen a coach make a deep playoff run with an exceptional class and then do nothing when he gets promoted to a bigger job or he stays and can't reload. 

7 hours ago, Overland said:

Maryville's success says more about the reliability of recruiting grades than the talent on either team. Too many times the number of stars is based on potential based on height/ weight instead of football ability. There was no talent deficiency on those teams like there is right now with the Oakland bunch. 

McConnell had great success when he had a exceptional QB, RB, and WR on the same team.  One season he had great defensive players and he fielded a great defense. He hasn't been able to duplicate it yet at his other 2 stops running the same schemes.  When the talent gap closes his winning percentage will go back up. 

Too many times especially in 1A or 2A I've seen a coach make a deep playoff run with an exceptional class and then do nothing when he gets promoted to a bigger job or he stays and can't reload. 

We can just agree to disagree...you're entitled to your opinion, and we'll see how it plays out. Westview was 6-24 in the three years before Mac got there, and 13-10 in two years after. They only lost to Covington, Milan, South Gibson, and Ensworth last season. Camden will improve.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

We can just agree to disagree...you're entitled to your opinion, and we'll see how it plays out. Westview was 6-24 in the three years before Mac got there, and 13-10 in two years after. They only lost to Covington, Milan, South Gibson, and Ensworth last season. Camden will improve.

13-10 with a qb recruited by D1 schools?

Edited by Yeti

On 5/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, Sequatchie33 said:

Can I get everyone’s opinion?  Does it hurt region 8 this year not playing football last year?  What’s the impact? 

I think it for sure hurts region 8 this upcoming season not playing the season before. Normally with most Memphis teams you see a lot of talented athletes that just need more coaching and developing. A year away from the game does not help those kids in a developmental stand point. It may have given them more time in the weight room, but the lack of in-game reps will be a major factor.

As for the conversation on the west representative, on paper Ty Simpson and Westview look like the easy choice, but this side of the bracket is a toss up honestly. Huntingdon & Lewis Co. will for sure make a push. Teams like Riverside and Camden could also be in the mix and who knows what region 8 will look like. Should be a fun year, but I'd put my money on Westview at this point! :thumb: