2A WEST CONTENDERS

Overland

On 5/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, Sequatchie33 said:

Can I get everyone’s opinion?  Does it hurt region 8 this year not playing football last year?  What’s the impact? 

I think if there's a team with top level 2A talent they'll be just fine and I believe the year off could do them well later in the season.  The teams with lesser and unproven talent may struggle. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

13-10 was a big step up even with the blue chip QB. As of late Westview lacks in overall talent when it comes to competing with teams like Covington, Milan, and SG. 

After I posted, I watched his highlights, He was good under pressure for sure but had great talent at the wr spot to help him out on alot of those throws. 

On 5/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, Sequatchie33 said:

Can I get everyone’s opinion?  Does it hurt region 8 this year not playing football last year?  What’s the impact? 

Absolutely it hurts the teams. In theory a team with a great coach and organization could have been in the weight room and doing speed training for two years. In reality with no guidance many kids may have gotten into other things with virtual school and no team structure.  Most R8 kids will not have participated in football activities since November of 2019. We were worried about last year's teams missing spring 2020 and not having preseason scrimmages. (BTW, will someone tell TSSAA it's completely safe for kids to scrimmage other teams outdoors.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Absolutely it hurts the teams. In theory a team with a great coach and organization could have been in the weight room and doing speed training for two years. In reality with no guidance many kids may have gotten into other things with virtual school and no team structure.  Most R8 kids will not have participated in football activities since November of 2019. We were worried about last year's teams missing spring 2020 and not having preseason scrimmages. (BTW, will someone tell TSSAA it's completely safe for kids to scrimmage other teams outdoors.)

Good post

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yeti said:

After I posted, I watched his highlights, He was good under pressure for sure but had great talent at the wr spot to help him out on alot of those throws. 

I'd like to see whatever film you watched because when I see anything on them I see a QB making fantastic reads and usually always finding the open man. You will see a receiver break one every now and then though.  I do love their length and speed but even in 7-3A they weren't top tier guys. Either way they're due for a big season this year I just glanced at the schedule..they very well could run the table in the regular season. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I'd like to see whatever film you watched because when I see anything on them I see a QB making fantastic reads and usually always finding the open man. You will see a receiver break one every now and then though.  I do love their length and speed but even in 7-3A they weren't top tier guys. Either way they're due for a big season this year I just glanced at the schedule..they very well could run the table in the regular season. 

Watched his Junior season.

1 hour ago, Yeti said:

Watched his Junior season.

1 hour ago, PurplePower68 said:

If Taye Hutchins stays healthy all year for Marion Co he will be a finalist I believe. With Simpson being a 5 star qb he may win it but #7 for us is a highlight reel. If he gets the corner it is over.

With my team being in the same region (until now) with Westview I have seen Ty Simpson up close and personal several times over the last few year. He is a special talent. You can tell he has the arm to make all the throws. Tremendous arm strength. I have seen the kid throw a Hail Mary 60 yards on the run to end the half and it made it well into the end zone. But honestly there was no talent around him. His offensive line was horrible. It made him have to run for his life most of the time. If it wasn’t for his ability to scramble and make throws on the run he would have been seriously injured by now. Also, until this past season the Westview defense has been horrendous. That was the biggest improvement I saw under this latest coaching staff was the improvement on defense. If they can continue to improve on defense and his O line can give him SOME time, they have the potential to win a lot of games. But those two areas need a ton of work. 

17 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

With my team being in the same region (until now) with Westview I have seen Ty Simpson up close and personal several times over the last few year. He is a special talent. You can tell he has the arm to make all the throws. Tremendous arm strength. I have seen the kid throw a Hail Mary 60 yards on the run to end the half and it made it well into the end zone. But honestly there was no talent around him. His offensive line was horrible. It made him have to run for his life most of the time. If it wasn’t for his ability to scramble and make throws on the run he would have been seriously injured by now. Also, until this past season the Westview defense has been horrendous. That was the biggest improvement I saw under this latest coaching staff was the improvement on defense. If they can continue to improve on defense and his O line can give him SOME time, they have the potential to win a lot of games. But those two areas need a ton of work. 

Hopefully they won't improve that much lol. You don't see a lot of 5 star qbs in small ball in TN so he obviously is talented. 

46 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Heck they could probably stay at the level they were at and have a big season. They likely won't play a team in the reg season as good as the top 3 in 7-3A last yr. Too bad that stud OT went to Henry county. He would be that anchor they need on the OL.