Region 4-5A

Rhea Co.

With Spring Football wrapping up for most teams in the region, it should be a competitive region with McMinn, Ooltewah, and Howard coming into the region. I know McMinn graduated Jalen Hunt but return Jayden Miller at QB. Typically McMinn has a stout Oline too. Play solid defense year in year out. 

It will be interesting to go see what Coach Shannon Williams will do again at Ooltewah. He has a decent run there last time.

John Starr at Howard is bright up and coming coach. It will be interesting to see how they handle the move up to 5A.

Then Walker Valley graduated quite a few play makers but Coach Drew Akins is a great coach that develops great talent there.

Then Rhea County picked up Derrick Davis from McMinn Central and Wattenbarger  from Sequatchie. Rhea returns quite a bit on both sides of the ball. Plus I’m excited to see the freshmen from last year and see how they improved in the offseason. Then the freshman class that is coming in has some impressive talent. 

Preseason prediction

Rhea 

McMinn

Walker Valley 

Ooltewah 

Howard 

Edited by Rhea Co.

My opinion (and everyone knows what opinions are like) - this will be a rebuilding year for McMinn.  We lost so much talent last year to graduation.  There are some good young players coming up, but I think if they can pull off a 2nd or 3rd place finish they'll have had a good year.  It's next year that I'm getting excited for, with Miller coming back for his senior year and giving the younger guys another year to develop and get stronger.  

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rhea Co. said:

Rhea Co is replacing our turf with new field turf. Also once that is done construction on the field, a new 50 yard indoor practice facility is going to be built. 

I'm not educated on the specifics of turf fields - is there any sort of "padding" that is installed under the turf?  I have 2 boys that play and they seem to think some fields are a bit softer than others.

54 minutes ago, Martymcfly said:

I'm not educated on the specifics of turf fields - is there any sort of "padding" that is installed under the turf?  I have 2 boys that play and they seem to think some fields are a bit softer than others.

Most of the high quality newer ones are underfilled with pelletized tire rubber and sand.  I think they're more forgiving than dirt in some cases.

11 hours ago, Martymcfly said:

Yeah like guthook said the top layer in the grass is a lot of little rubber granules, then under the turf is more rubber pieces and sand that is on top of fine stones and gravel. It’s nice to have the company that makes our playing surface just down the street. 

1 hour ago, Haydiboy said:

Must be nice in mcminn county they are consolidating a few of the schools 

Riceville elementary will be a middle  school for riceville,Rodgers creek and Calhoun. (They'll still  have their elementaries  besides rice ville)

Mcminn central is about to be k-12 and supposed to hold 1800 kids which sounds like an awful idea to me

And ek baker and niota will be consolidated into  one  k-8 school  

Awe man, hate to hear that!