York Football 2021

option76

On 6/12/2021 at 12:50 PM, ChineseFlu said:

With small rural communities the head coaches are usually stuck with whoever was there before.  They don't get to bring in their staff.  That is one reason hiring former alumni is usually a good thing.  They will kind of know who in the community might be a good volunteer coach where is an outsider is truly at the mercy of whoever gets to them first and recommendations of people they don't know.  It is a tough situation for smaller schools with limited funds.

Good point

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, lyonheart said:

Did YAI pick up any athletes from Pickett?  Heard today their program got the plug pulled.

Very few kids over the years have chose to come up the mountain to play.  I would think Livingston would stand a better chance at picking up players.  

6 hours ago, option76 said:

Very few kids over the years have chose to come up the mountain to play.  I would think Livingston would stand a better chance at picking up players.  

Not to sound mean but regarding football did Pickett really have much to offer?

10 hours ago, crow said:

I will say the kids that I can think of that came from Pickett County contributed during their time of playing here. The senior that graduated last year that moved here from Pickett his Jr year contributed both years. So I guess to answer you question yes Pickett county does have some football players. 

2 hours ago, option76 said:

I will say the kids that I can think of that came from Pickett County contributed during their time of playing here. The senior that graduated last year that moved here from Pickett his Jr year contributed both years. So I guess to answer you question yes Pickett county does have some football players. 

Fair enough. Just never known them to put together much of a team. They’ve always struggled a lot. Now basketball is a different story.  

if the talent is there why do you think the results on the field was so bad? I have zero first hand information on them other than seeing schedules and win/loss records for the last couple of decades or hearing their score on the radio when Oakdale or someone else around here would play them. 

4 hours ago, crow said:

Fair enough. Just never known them to put together much of a team. They’ve always struggled a lot. Now basketball is a different story.  

if the talent is there why do you think the results on the field was so bad? I have zero first hand information on them other than seeing schedules and win/loss records for the last couple of decades or hearing their score on the radio when Oakdale or someone else around here would play them. 

They have no feeder program at all. Freshman year of high school is the first experience a child has.   The kids playing are just learning the game 

1 hour ago, option76 said:

They have no feeder program at all. Freshman year of high school is the first experience a child has.   The kids playing are just learning the game 

Ah, wasn’t aware of that. That’ll surely make a big difference. 

4 hours ago, UCPrepShowcase said:

High schools can only co-op with one school.... York Co-ops already with Clarkrange... Pickett kids would have to go to LA if they wanted to co-op anywhere.... that's been tried in the past but never worked out.... 

Pickett wouldn’t be able to co-op to Overton county either (different counties as well).  Only way they could play anywhere this year is get a hardship through Tssaa 

Edited by option76