Henry County Patriots 2021

BigRed88

22 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Wow, it just hit me that this is gonna be the 10th anniversary of our 1st state championship team. Crazy. Doesn't feel like it's been that long. 

And what a TEAM it was!! 

Funny I was just thinking this same thing as I was making something for a social media post tomorrow. That was a special team!! Najee Ray and Shaquille Allen!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, PatriotNation said:

Funny I was just thinking this same thing as I was making something for a social media post tomorrow. That was a special team!! Najee Ray and Shaquille Allen!! 

Yes sir!! 

Was a very special bunch. Not only Ray and Allen, but I believe it had something like 11 players total sign football scholarships at some level or another. Andrew Jelks (Vandy of course, now an up-and-coming coach in his own right) was probably the "star" of the team, but he was joined by Jimmy Camper, Mason Peale, and Scottie Alexander along the offensive line. Between them and fullback Caleb Counce (UT Martin), I don't think I've ever seen running lanes opened so wide.

Randall Dunlap, Louis "Rock" Long, and Mar'trel Kendall, who combined to form the greatest D-line unit Henry County has ever had, swarmed, harassed, and gang-tackled practically every QB and RB on the schedule that year. All 3 played small college ball. They were joined by a LB corps consisting of Brad Owens, Dennis Tharpe Jr, Matt Craig and Ontario Ward among others that did NOT enjoy playing 2nd fiddle to the line in front of them. They made a name for themselves.

Then of course the secondary. Man...the secondary. Still (IMO) the best secondary we've ever fielded. Storme Hilliard was for my money the best safety we've ever had. Dude LIT people up all year long from his hard-hitting, free safety position. He landed some hits that would probably be illegal now.  He was joined by LaQuan McFereen at SS, and Trey Cowans and Felix Adams at CB. Both were incredible cover corners.

Then our kicker, Kyler Ainley, who hit the game-winning field goal in the state title game, who went on to play at Belhaven University. 

Man, what a great team that was.    

Edited by MSURacer
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Yes sir!! 

Was a very special bunch. Not only Ray and Allen, but I believe it had something like 11 players total sign football scholarships at some level or another. Andrew Jelks (Vandy of course, now an up-and-coming coach in his own right) was probably the "star" of the team, but he was joined by Jimmy Camper, Mason Peale, and Scottie Alexander along the offensive line. Between them and fullback Caleb Counce (UT Martin), I don't think I've ever seen running lanes opened so wide.

Randall Dunlap, Louis "Rock" Long, and Mar'trel Kendall, who combined to form the greatest D-line unit Henry County has ever had, swarmed, harassed, and gang-tackled practically every QB and RB on the schedule that year. All 3 played small college ball. They were joined by a LB corps consisting of Brad Owens, Dennis Tharpe Jr, Matt Craig and Ontario Ward among others that did NOT enjoy playing 2nd fiddle to the line in front of them. They made a name for themselves.

Then of course the secondary. Man...the secondary. Still (IMO) the best secondary we've ever fielded. Storme Hilliard was for my money the best safety we've ever had. Dude LIT people up all year long from his hard-hitting, free safety position. He landed some hits that would probably be illegal now.  He was joined by LaQuan McFereen at SS, and Trey Cowans and Felix Adams at CB. Both were incredible cover corners.

Then our kicker, Kyler Ainley, who hit the game-winning field goal in the state title game, who went on to play at Belhaven University. 

Man, what a great team that was.    

Man!!! Just hearing those names again will give any Henry County fan goosebumps!! That really may have been the best team EVER at HC! 2013 was an awesome and resilient team but 2011 was really a team full of dogs that would not be denied! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, MSURacer said:

Wow, it just hit me that this is gonna be the 10th anniversary of our 1st state championship team. Crazy. Doesn't feel like it's been that long. 

And what a TEAM it was!! 

I think it would be great if the school could get as many players that were on that team to come to one of the games this year and recognize them on the field with the gold ball.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gr8tn08 said:

I think it would be great if the school could get as many players that were on that team to come to one of the games this year and recognize them on the field with the gold ball.

YES!!! This is a great idea!! Any game would be great for them to do this but either the Summit game or the first playoff game would be absolutely amazing! Talk about getting the crowd fired up!!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gr8tn08 said:

4 hours ago, PatriotNation said:

YES!!! This is a great idea!! Any game would be great for them to do this but either the Summit game or the first playoff game would be absolutely amazing! Talk about getting the crowd fired up!!!

I agree that would be a cool way to honor them. I figure the school is planning something. In the past, they've hosted similar celebrations.

In 2008 they honored the '85 team at one of our playoff games after we finished 10-0, and I believe they did the same thing for the '92 team in 2006 when we hosted the semifinals.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gr8tn08 said:

I really don't see how they are going to be finished in time unless the company installing the turf is ready to go as soon as the dirt work is finished. 

Yeah the day i had posted that, they had done a lot of gravel work. From everyone I been talking to, everybody is worried if it will be ready to go or not by Week 1. We have the jamboree August 13th supposed to be at Patriot Stadium. That looks seriously doubtful to me. Idk it's been one heck of a long process. 

59 minutes ago, PatriotNation said:

Yeah the day i had posted that, they had done a lot of gravel work. From everyone I been talking to, everybody is worried if it will be ready to go or not by Week 1. We have the jamboree August 13th supposed to be at Patriot Stadium. That looks seriously doubtful to me. Idk it's been one heck of a long process. 

Ravenwood, Centennial and Fairview are all getting turf also . I hope the company installing ours isn't the same one because they aren't finished with theirs either.

• Like 1