Wrestling Football Players....

Sommers

"Kids and parents need to understand just how much Wrestling enhances a football prospects resume, rankings and recruitment by D1 coaches.  

College coaches especially D1 coaches really like big lineman who have a wrestling background.  
I think as a sport we really do a poor job of communicating that fact to our big kids across the state at a young age." CT poster Durdon

"Just wanted to try to take a look at Adam," Vrabel explained of the signing of Coon when the coach spoke with the media on Thursday. "I followed his wrestling career for a while. Something we looked at and, again, I was a part of as a player taking a former wrestler and they developed into an offensive lineman with Stephen Neal."

Vrabel played with the New England Patriots from 2001 to 2008 and Neal played for them from 2002 to 2010. Just like Coon, Neal played high school football but never in college, concentrating and flourishing in wrestling.

"Wrestlers, especially at that elite level, have unbelievable balance, core strength, things that I think would translate well to an offensive lineman," Vrabel said.

Coon, having claimed Greco-Roman and freestyle championships and medals throughout a decorated college and Team U.S.A. tenure, notably was a two-time NCAA finalist (2015, 2018), a 2018 Senior world silver medalist, two-time Senior World Team member and a 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials runner-up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/can-titans-ol-adam-coon-be-the-next-stephen-neal

I'm glad that someone started this topic.  I absolutely believe that sports can play hand-in-hand with helping another.  At Fairview the Football program has won 100 games since the start of the 2010 season (100-33 Overall) during that 11 year run of success. 

Most schools offer Basketball during the Winter and Baseball/Soccer during the Spring.  At some schools if "Football players" don't excel at those sports then they begin the off-season weight program in January upon returning from Christmas Break.  Our Basketball and Soccer programs have been highly successful in past years.  Our Baseball program just experienced one of the school's most successful seasons.  

The majority of our Football players compete in Wrestling during the Winter and then run Track and Field during the Spring.  Fairview High School has produced State Champions and competed for State Championships at both sports biggest stages and we've had several players attribute their growth and progress as Football players to what they did in other sports seasons.  

I feel like a lot of coaches nowadays cringe at the thought of "their players" being actively involved in other sports.  At Fairview, for those who have seen, our weight room is a tremendous facility for a high school program and our head strength and conditioning coach is one of the best in the business.  The players who do attend off-season workouts from Day 1 will grow and progress as athletes.  

At the same time though our other sports programs (Basketball, Wrestling, Track and Field, Soccer, Baseball, Etc.) are also a big part of our team's growth from one year to the next and they all play a role in watching our guys progress as athletes.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:28 PM, WilleTheWildcat said:

I have always wondered why Oak Ridge never had a team. I'm sure there is a reason.

There was talk in the early 80's about Oak Ridge starting a program.  They even had the Orange & White match of The University of Tennessee at OR one season.  The primary reason that OR has never started a program is that the football coach has never demanded that a wrestling program be started.  The honest truth is that most football coaches are control freaks and don't want to share athletes with the other high school sports programs in the school.  Talk about supporting multi-sport athletes sounds good but very few coaches are sincere when making those statements.  If the football coach really wanted his players to participate in other sports he would tell them that he expected them to wrestle, play basketball, soccer, etc...  Talk is cheap but true actions are what makes things change!

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, cbg said:

There was talk in the early 80's about Oak Ridge starting a program.  They even had the Orange & White match of The University of Tennessee at OR one season.  The primary reason that OR has never started a program is that the football coach has never demanded that a wrestling program be started.  The honest truth is that most football coaches are control freaks and don't want to share athletes with the other high school sports programs in the school.  Talk about supporting multi-sport athletes sounds good but very few coaches are sincere when making those statements.  If the football coach really wanted his players to participate in other sports he would tell them that he expected them to wrestle, play basketball, soccer, etc...  Talk is cheap but true actions are what makes things change!

A great example of a great wrestler and being a great football player is Scott Wells a former Brentwood Academy athlete. He not only was an undefeated wrestler but went on to be a great player at the University of Tennessee and then an 11 year pro career as an offensive center for the world champion Green Bay Packers. He was an all -pro selection also. His ability to play college and pro is his understanding of leverage in blocking. Wrestling no doubt allowed him to be a great football player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, runtheball said:

A great example of a great wrestler and being a great football player is Scott Wells a former Brentwood Academy athlete. He not only was an undefeated wrestler but went on to be a great player at the University of Tennessee and then an 11 year pro career as an offensive center for the world champion Green Bay Packers. He was an all -pro selection also. His ability to play college and pro is his understanding of leverage in blocking. Wrestling no doubt allowed him to be a great football player.

This was Iowa OL in 2019.

EDZOB8jWkAAyYFm?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, STARSNBARS said:

Hit cain allsew lead two lifelong carears......(Bow yourns haids).....:popcorneater:

As good as the football program is at Maryville there is absolutely no reason that they should not have a Top 10 wrestling program every season.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cbg said:

As good as the football program is at Maryville there is absolutely no reason that they should not have a Top 10 wrestling program every season.  

Murvil has so many good athletes that we prefer kids to specialize. I do think the rasslin team wins some.

9 hours ago, cbg said:

I agree 100%.

RWR!

• Upvote 1