Wrestling Football Players....

Sommers

16 hours ago, strongx said:

Murvil has so many good athletes that we prefer kids to specialize. I do think the rasslin team wins some.

We win more than a few. To answer cbg's point, until recently the football coaches weren't too keen on sending players our way but in no way do we prefer specialization. That why I made it a point to build our K-8 feeder club with a ton of kids from the Bears and Rebs. Look at our current HS football roster and you'll see a bunch of former and current wrestlers. So this year and from here on out cbg will see us in the Top 10 if not higher.

Edited by JSamson7
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

We win more than a few. To answer cbg's point, until recently the football coaches weren't too keen on sending players our way but in no way do we prefer specialization. That why I made it a point to build our K-8 feeder club with a ton of kids from the Bears and Rebs. Look at our current HS football roster and you'll see a bunch of former and current wrestlers. So this year and from here on out cbg will see us in the Top 10 if not higher.

back in better days of high school sports any coach who told a kid he could not play another sport would not even happen. coaches wanted players in other sports and players were encouraged to play other sports and also wanted to. tssaa calendar and by laws would not even allow sports out of season to do anything anyway. in some schools the principal would dismiss any coach that tried to encourage a kid specialize. of course then most all principals were former coaches and we all know how much better schools were then. that is another subject though.

Edited by runtheball
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, runtheball said:

back in better days of high school sports any coach who told a kid he could not play another sport would not even happen. coaches wanted players in other sports and players were encouraged to play other sports and also wanted to. tssaa calendar and by laws would not even allow sports out of season anyway. in some schools the principal would dismiss any coach that tried to make a kid specialize. of course then most principals were former coaches and we all know how much better schools were then.

Although I love my HC (Hammontree) at Maryville, he was not one who liked any of our players wrestling. Every day he tried to talk me out of wrestling and cutting weight. I get it, but at the same time I disagree with his philosophy.

If you look at our current lineup from 145 pounds and up they will almost all be football players. A couple stopped playing football to focus on wrestling, but the rest of them we share with football on a daily basis.

Edited by JSamson7

1 minute ago, JSamson7 said:

Although I love my HC (Hammontree) at Maryville, he was not one who liked any of our players wrestling. Every day he tried to talk me out of wrestling and cutting weight. I get it, but at the same time I disagree with his philosophy.

If you look at our current lineup from 145 pounds and up they will almost all be football players. A couple stopped playing football to focus on wrestling, but the rest of them we share with football on a daily basis.

thank goodness wrestling now has a limit on weight loss and time to safely loose the weight. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, runtheball said:

thank goodness wrestling now has a limit on weight loss and time to safely loose the weight. 

Best thing that ever happened to wrestling. Now if we could do a reverse in football of not putting excessive fat on 5’9 to 6’1 linemen that will never step on a college football field.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2