open dates

fredjones

Even though George Quarles,David Ellis and Jim Gaylor left Maryville. Maryville still has a great coaching staff. I wouldn't trade them for no one. As great as George was he only had to coach against a Kevin Creasy coached Oakland team twice. A lot of years George went up against  teams in the semifinals that were nowhere close to Maryville's level. Derek has to put up with Oakland. Oakland and Alcoa were way more talented than Maryville last year. Especially Oakland.  The Oakland team last year was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team play.  Oakland was already going to be good last year but getting Jordan James and Isiah Horton made them unbeatable.

2 hours ago, REBELRON said:

Even though George Quarles,David Ellis and Jim Gaylor left Maryville. Maryville still has a great coaching staff. I wouldn't trade them for no one. As great as George was he only had to coach against a Kevin Creasy coached Oakland team twice. A lot of years George went up against  teams in the semifinals that were nowhere close to Maryville's level. Derek has to put up with Oakland. Oakland and Alcoa were way more talented than Maryville last year. Especially Oakland.  The Oakland team last year was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team play.  Oakland was already going to be good last year but getting Jordan James and Isiah Horton made them unbeatable.

They're also getting back Robby Washington, who's starting to rack up offers from the camp circuit

On 7/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, REBELRON said:

Cleveland's 1993 team would smoke Oakland's team last year. That team is the best to have ever played against is, PERIOD.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Great post. David Ellis was the best line coach in the state of Tennessee and you can tell the difference. Gaylor was also a great coach. I was always told when Gaylor and Ellis left you would see the difference. My personal opinion being here for half a century is that I feel GQ may have made the move because he was seeing the junior high go from 65 players to 30 overnight which would cause drastic effects at the high school in coming years. Derick Hunt is a good coach and I don't know anyone else I would rather have but after the Oakland loss last year and watching that team just totally quit I saw that 30 player junior high finally come into play. If I were head coach at the high school I would do everything in my power to put a new head coach in at the junior high and do some upgrades on my coaching staff. Maryville can always go 13-0 right up until the Oakland game with what they have but until those things are done that is what the future may hold.

Thankfully you're not the head coach, I will take our current staff over any team's all day-every day.

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

Cleveland's 1993 team would smoke Oakland's team last year. That team is the best to have ever played against is, PERIOD.

Here is why I put Oakland team from last year over 93 Cleveland. Both teams were awesome. Both teams beat Maryville by 42. Difference is 93 Cleveland beat a 5-5 Maryville team 70-28.  Score was 28-21 halftime Cleveland.  Maryville played tough 1st half. The Oakland game last year was 49-7 and it was never close.  Maryville was 13-0 going into that game with big wins over 3A Champ Alcoa,McMinn County and Dobyns Bennet. Maryville 2020 was a much better team than the 93 team was. Oakland beat Maryville the way Maryville usually beats Heritage.

Pearl Cohn 1997 is the best team we've played. That would have been the best athletes Maryviile has ever faced. If they had a decent coach they could of beat us 100-0. They set a record for penalties in that game was our saving grace. John Henderson and Santonio Beard who went to Alabama were just a few of the big name players on that team.

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Pearl Cohn 1997 is the best team we've played. That would have been the best athletes Maryviile has ever faced. If they had a decent coach they could of beat us 100-0. They set a record for penalties in that game was our saving grace. John Henderson and Santonio Beard who went to Alabama were just a few of the big name players on that team.

Cleveland had way more athletic talent on that '93 team than Pearl's '97 squad. Pearl Cohn lost 4 games in '96 when they won it all the 1st time against Knoxville Halls then they lost to a mediocre Father Ryan in their 1st game of the '97 season. The Cleveland teams from '93 to '96 won 54 straight games all before the public/private split was even in place.

Outside of John Henderson, Cleveland had better players at every position. There were so many guys on their roster had they stayed out of trouble, better grades, etc would have been on major college rosters. Their '93 title was also against a loaded Brentwood Academy squad that was better than any team Pearl Cohn put on the field in '96 or '97.

So I'm sorry, there's no way either of you will convince me that a 1 loss '97 PC team or last year's Oakland team (as good as they were) could beat the '93 Cleveland team who beat almost everyone for 4 straight years.

9 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Cleveland had way more athletic talent on that '93 team than Pearl's '97 squad. Pearl Cohn lost 4 games in '96 when they won it all the 1st time against Knoxville Halls then they lost to a mediocre Father Ryan in their 1st game of the '97 season. The Cleveland teams from '93 to '96 won 54 straight games all before the public/private split was even in place.

Outside of John Henderson, Cleveland had better players at every position. There were so many guys on their roster had they stayed out of trouble, better grades, etc would have been on major college rosters. Their '93 title was also against a loaded Brentwood Academy squad that was better than any team Pearl Cohn put on the field in '96 or '97.

So I'm sorry, there's no way either of you will convince me that a 1 loss '97 PC team or last year's Oakland team (as good as they were) could beat the '93 Cleveland team who beat almost everyone for 4 straight years.

Since we're playing time travelers, do we get to claim Coach Harris since he played the same time period? If so, I like my chances. After 2008, Benny doesn't want any part of Oakland

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Since we're playing time travelers, do we get to claim Coach Harris since he played the same time period? If so, I like my chances. After 2008, Benny doesn't want any part of Oakland

No, he's a Rhea County boy. I'll tell him you put in a good word though.