Powell getting a big boost

JustinBuck

I have wondered about Powell since Oak Ridge has to compete against them. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth worrying about the accusations of recruiting. If they do cheat then any State Titles they win will taste bitter in their own mouths and if they are clean then great job Panthers. Really, all you can do is cheer for your team. As far as I know Powell is clean.

Yet another wild Willie story...I was recruited to play for an Oak Ridge Boys Club Tee Ball team. My neighbor was a coach and he asked my Dad to request I be placed on his team. Dad did it and I played for my neighbor. After a few games word got out that I was recruited and "ADULTS" began calling for me to be put off the team. It scared the heck out of me but nothing ever happened. The next summer I played Church league softball instead of BC baseball.

3 hours ago, Tadvols said:

NO Doubt  ...  How do you go from a 8th grade REC league coach to a Offensive Coord of a 5A  school in Powell  .. after CAK let him go .. he sold CAK on bringing players in ... so then Lowe took him up on the offer  ... he is pulling kids from all over .. legal recruiting or not   .. but we will see what it gets them  .. it hasnt paid off yet  ...  but yea there is something fishy going on for sure  ... but Lowe is all about the wins ..  he dont care how he has to go about it . 

Jones gets to know those kids from Future Stars and they all seem to like him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I have wondered about Powell since Oak Ridge has to compete against them. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth worrying about the accusations of recruiting. If they do cheat then any State Titles they win will taste bitter in their own mouths and if they are clean then great job Panthers. Really, all you can do is cheer for your team. As far as I know Powell is clean.

Yet another wild Willie story...I was recruited to play for an Oak Ridge Boys Club Tee Ball team. My neighbor was a coach and he asked my Dad to request I be placed on his team. Dad did it and I played for my neighbor. After a few games word got out that I was recruited and "ADULTS" began calling for me to be put off the team. It scared the heck out of me but nothing ever happened. The next summer I played Church league softball instead of BC baseball.

I thought I remembered a recent ruling by tssaa on them, but I can't remember...

Edited by Knoxemdown

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Jones gets to know those kids from Future Stars and they all seem to like him.

Yea he gets to know them .. gets to know parents too, gets phone numbers of all players etc ...  but its legal  . TSSAA dont care  ..as long as they get their cut .....   LOL 

12 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

This does seem a pretty clear violation, Don't really understand how it's not.

The loop hole is it has to be before 7th grade.  per the TSSAA by-laws it's " Any initial contact or prearranged contact by a member of a coaching staff or representative of the school and a prospective student-athlete in the seventh grade and above" is viewed as recruiting.  If he talks to them at the Rocky top League or Future Stars game as a 6th Grader then by the TSSAA thats not recruiting

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Swipes said:

The loop hole is it has to be before 7th grade.  per the TSSAA by-laws it's " Any initial contact or prearranged contact by a member of a coaching staff or representative of the school and a prospective student-athlete in the seventh grade and above" is viewed as recruiting.  If he talks to them at the Rocky top League or Future Stars game as a 6th Grader then by the TSSAA thats not recruiting

He talks to them after that as well tho.

19 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

He talks to them after that as well tho.

By TSSAA Rules he can as long as  initiated contact is before they are in 7th grade.  7th grade on a coach can't initiate contact the parents would have to initiate the contact with the coach or administration of the school.  There isn't a rule about continued contact after the initial contact that I can find

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

By TSSAA Rules he can as long as  initiated contact is before they are in 7th grade.  7th grade on a coach can't initiate contact the parents would have to initiate the contact with the coach or administration of the school.  There isn't a rule about continued contact after the initial contact that I can find

If they contact the coach, the rules say that should be referred to the administration.  So here is my next question.  Are sport specific camps for 7th and 8th graders by a HS program a  recruiting violation?  

2 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

If they contact the coach, the rules say that should be referred to the administration.  So here is my next question.  Are sport specific camps for 7th and 8th graders by a HS program a  recruiting violation?  

Good question to ask the TSSAA.  I think if it is offered to everyone and not initiating contact with a specific 7th or 8th grader then it wouldn't be a recruiting violation.  High Schools hold camps all the time for specific sports and have for decades now. 

• Like 1