Powell getting a big boost

JustinBuck

1 hour ago, JAG37849 said:

No dog in the fight here anymore, but what exactly are you saying got swept under the rug and by who? Powell academic administrators aren't going to risk their jobs for athletic success especially after their paperwork hiccup cost them a couple of years ago with the tailback they brought in when West and SD called crying bc they were gonna get beat.

It's played out and petty to say that there is corruption at the administrative level without having any evidence to support it. "Too many confirmations for it not to have happened." Give me a break. It's not the wild west, and it's not college football. If something happened, the adults involved in the administration at Powell would handle it along with Knox County. Get a grip.

He's obsessed.  He believes that the administrators at Powell and the powers that be in the KCS Central Office are engaged in some kind of conspiracy to look the other way at Powell.  

But I do disagree with you on one point. It is the wild wild west now in Knox County.  The entire county.  

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

He's obsessed.  He believes that the administrators at Powell and the powers that be in the KCS Central Office are engaged in some kind of conspiracy to look the other way at Powell.  

But I do disagree with you on one point. It is the wild wild west now in Knox County.  The entire county.  

Well you're right about that as far as the recruiting trail goes. But that was all fine and good when it wasn't Matt's cocky self winning the recruiting wars. No one was complaining about the kids leaving Powell's zone when PHS was going 5-6 and making first round exits.

Go to Tarleton or Shumpert when there's a championship game going on in middle school ages.....whatever team you support....they'll have a coach there. That's just the way of the world. But the county isn't giving anyone a pass because they run real fast or throw it real far...and they certainly aren't giving away get out of jail free cards because you wear a Powell jersey. Ask those kids who didn't get to go to the playoffs their senior year because of a paperwork issue. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JAG37849 said:

Well you're right about that as far as the recruiting trail goes. But that was all fine and good when it wasn't Matt's cocky self winning the recruiting wars. No one was complaining about the kids leaving Powell's zone when PHS was going 5-6 and making first round exits.

Go to Tarleton or Shumpert when there's a championship game going on in middle school ages.....whatever team you support....they'll have a coach there. That's just the way of the world. But the county isn't giving anyone a pass because they run real fast or throw it real far...and they certainly aren't giving away get out of jail free cards because you wear a Powell jersey. Ask those kids who didn't get to go to the playoffs their senior year because of a paperwork issue. 

Hammer.  Meet.  Nail.   

22 minutes ago, JAG37849 said:

No one was complaining about the kids leaving Powell's zone when PHS was going 5-6 and making first round exits.

Spot-on. I've been arguing that point for years. Funny that we've been having this back-and-forth with Cat, but Joel Helton pillaged the Powell zone throughout the late 90s and early 2000s, all under the guise of "No Child Left Behind."

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Spot-on. I've been arguing that point for years. Funny that we've been having this back-and-forth with Cat, but Joel Helton pillaged the Powell zone throughout the late 90s and early 2000s, all under the guise of "No Child Left Behind."

Don't forget about the infamous Hunter's Ed class.  

Joel was one of the best at recognizing and bringing in talent, and I mean that as an absolute compliment.  One of my favorite coaches to have ever interacted with.  

At one time in the early part of the 2000s I counted 7 starters at Central who were zoned Powell, but to be fair one of them was Joel's son, so I'll say 6 in reality.  

• Upvote 1

Wow now we are getting on here calling out a man who has passed away for recruiting, but I’m the one in the wrong? Just to clarify my “accusations” as some would call them, at the end of the school year, last month or so, two of Powell’s WRs were caught by either Coach or admin with Marijuana on school grounds. Both SHOULD have been kicked out of school for 365 on the ZERO tolerance policy. But magically, as it usually does at Powell, nothing happened. So if it’s not sweeping something under the rug, what do y’all call it??? And btw just for the record, West and SD might have hand a hand in turning Powell in over the RB a few years ago, but they weren’t the main school involved. If you don’t believe me, go ask ol Coach Lowe who really burned them. HINT: it wasn’t Central…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Wow now we are getting on here calling out a man who has passed away for recruiting, but I’m the one in the wrong? Just to clarify my “accusations” as some would call them, at the end of the school year, last month or so, two of Powell’s WRs were caught by either Coach or admin with Marijuana on school grounds. Both SHOULD have been kicked out of school for 365 on the ZERO tolerance policy. But magically, as it usually does at Powell, nothing happened. So if it’s not sweeping something under the rug, what do y’all call it??? And btw just for the record, West and SD might have hand a hand in turning Powell in over the RB a few years ago, but they weren’t the main school involved. If you don’t believe me, go ask ol Coach Lowe who really burned them. HINT: it wasn’t Central…

Cat, I had a lot of respect for Joel, as a leader, coach, and educator. And it was very unfair the way his tenure at CHS ended. But I think it's only fair to call a spade a spade, not trying to speak ill of the dead.

17 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Cat, I had a lot of respect for Joel, as a leader, coach, and educator. And it was very unfair the way his tenure at CHS ended. But I think it's only fair to call a spade a spade, not trying to speak ill of the dead.

No need to even try, Nut.  Some people have an alternate view of reality and live in a world where their side can do no wrong and everybody else is a cheater. 

Besides, I don't think either of us accused Joel of wrongdoing.  Athletes and non athletes alike transferred in to schools they weren't zoned to in those days in huge numbers in Knox County for many reasons, just as they do today. Joel knew the rules and made them work in his school's favor. 

And I'll say once again, I am a proponent of parental choice in education, be it public or private schools.  Nothing wrong with kids going out of zone as far as I am concerned. 

5 hours ago, JAG37849 said:

No dog in the fight here anymore, but what exactly are you saying got swept under the rug and by who? Powell academic administrators aren't going to risk their jobs for athletic success especially after their paperwork hiccup cost them a couple of years ago with the tailback they brought in when West and SD called crying bc they were gonna get beat.

It's played out and petty to say that there is corruption at the administrative level without having any evidence to support it. "Too many confirmations for it not to have happened." Give me a break. It's not the wild west, and it's not college football. If something happened, the adults involved in the administration at Powell would handle it along with Knox County. Get a grip.

Oh its true .. thats a fact  .. no allegations  .. because they were caught with Marijuana and there is no doubt .. I have too many sources .. so somebody has changed a story somewhere . . But make no mistake the fact is they were caught  .. no tolerance means no penalty to Powell 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Tadvols said:

Oh its true .. thats a fact  .. no allegations  .. because they were caught with Marijuana and there is no doubt .. I have too many sources .. so somebody has changed a story somewhere . . But make no mistake the fact is they were caught  .. no tolerance means no penalty to Powell 

So we both literally were told the same thing by multiple different sources on the SAME incident but we are the ones making up stories Tad? Lol no what it is, is these Powell people who know so much don’t even know the BS going on in their own backyard. Lowe and more importantly Josh Jones are doing a heck of a job covering up these illegal activities going on down there.

9 hours ago, Tadvols said:

It's amazing what you can find on the interwebz these days, Tad.  

Found this picture of you talking to one of your sources.  My source says it's a Bobcat you are talking to about your conspiracy theory, but I can't get that confirmed by two other sources.  

Tin foil hat 2.jpg

9 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

So we both literally were told the same thing by multiple different sources on the SAME incident but we are the ones making up stories Tad? Lol no what it is, is these Powell people who know so much don’t even know the BS going on in their own backyard. Lowe and more importantly Josh Jones are doing a heck of a job covering up these illegal activities going on down there.

Cat, your beef is with one or two folks on here, so stop making generalizations about "these Powell people." I haven't addressed those allegations because I don't know anything about any of that. I'm not connected with anyone currently inside the walls of that school. Heck, I don't even live in Powell (or north Knox County) anymore. I would even argue that most members of the Powell community wouldn't have a clue about the details of a story like that. All of that said, if your story is true, that's incredibly disappointing.

However, you'll have to excuse some of my skepticism, given the ax that you and Tad are constantly grinding. I'm not saying you are both wrong in this instance (I don't have a clue), but you have to admit that if Matt Lowe saved a child from a burning building, you and Tad would argue that Matt is no hero (probably because he started the fire).