2021 Single A Discussion

Rockstar89

We are in the TSSAA Dead Period, but practice & scrimmages/play days will be here before we know it! Use this thread to discuss Single A Volleyball for 2021. Who are your favorites headed into the season?

Summertown and Loretto should both be stout again, but you can't count out Sale Creek, Watertown, Harpeth, Hickman Co. and single A newcomers Camden. They could all make some noise this year. 

Edited by Rockstar89

• 1 month later...

Small school playday at McEwen this past weekend. Harpeth look decent early…beat Nashville Christian and Valor and split sets with Creekwood - a team that is prime to make some noise in AA with Portland and Nolensville moving out of thier side of the brackets in post season play. 

• 4 weeks later...

Small school ball looks like it will be very competitive this year! Some of the teams Camden and Harpeth beat were AA state teams from the last few years. (Lexington, Covington, Milan). Of course Camden themselves went to AA state several times thru the years, but have now dropped to single A. Hickman beat Chester Co. in their finals and I believe they were also AA state attendees just a couple of years ago. 

Edited by Rockstar89

23 hours ago, Bulldogfan24 said:

Very impressive win last night for Hickman County. They were down 2-0 to Camden and came back to take the win. The 2 set wins by Camden were 26-24 and 28-26 very close. The next two weren't close 25-15 and 25-18. The final was competitive 15-11.  

Everyone knew this was gonna be a marquee matchup. I actually thought Camden would have won. They have great coaching and I thought they would find a way to win. Kudos to HC for pulling it out. Terrible call at the end of that match though. Camden ball clearly in that would have extended the set, but hey...what are you gonna do? They miss them sometimes. District & Region tournaments are gonna be insane this year. 

Edited by Rockstar89

It's not a perfect ranking system, but unapproved website lists: Summertown (1), Hickman County (2), Loretto (3), Camden (6) and Harpeth (8) all in the top 10 in the state in Single A. Only 2 of these teams will advance to the state tournament. Three good teams are gonna be left on the outside looking in. One team in Region 5-A won't even advance to the finals. There are gonna be some really disappointed kids come October because I honestly believe on any given night "anybody could beat anybody".

I think Summertown could be the exception. They easily sit at the top of the pile. They have played a pretty tough non conference schedule and handled it with relative ease. 

Hickman County's only loss is to a good Lexington team, who Harpeth beat. They haven't had a ton of other competition, but they are consistent, and play super hard. To come from behind down 0-2 to Camden and pull it off shows they have fight as well.

Loretto is always tough. Karley Weathers is an absolute beast who can hit from every position on the floor and take over a game like no other small school player I have ever seen. So they shouldn't be counted out based solely on her being on the floor. 

Camden is a very fundamental team. They have great coaching and are always ready to do battle. The rematch with Hickman Co. down there will be a barnburner I am sure!

Harpeth has losses to Hickman County and Camden, but both were close, hard fought matches. With a couple of plays here and there they could have gone the other way. They have two good wins against AA top 5 schools Lexington & Creek Wood (who Hickman Co beat too). Even though they are the farthest down the list I def. wouldn't count them out. 

Others not mentioned here that probably WILL make the tourney are South Greene (lots of state tourney experience), and Watertown (always tough).

I love this time of year! As we come to the end of the season it will be fun to watch who rises to the top of the pile! 

Edited by Rockstar89