Favorites in Class A

thetruth1

2 hours ago, Richmond30 said:

She is definitely the front runner. Who else in A will be in the conversation?

The Davis girl at McKenzie is the real deal.  She may not win this year, as Darby will have much more name recognition throughout the state, but she's definitely in the conversation.  

3 minutes ago, maddams said:

The Davis girl at McKenzie is the real deal.  She may not win this year, as Darby will have much more name recognition throughout the state, but she's definitely in the conversation.  

Davis plus the Reynolds kid from McKenzie are big-time players. Their stats are not going to wow you because their team is so talented and play unselfish. I'm going out on a limb and saying McKenzie runs Greenfield out of the gym this year!

13 hours ago, Greenfieldfan said:

That’s not really going out on a limb.  It was a 33 point game last year McKenzie should win again this year.

I will say this. You live and die with the three. You better have a post player that can finish or at least a player a team has to defend. Because somebody along the way will handle pressure and cut back your transition offense and make you score in the half court. McKenzie has a great team but they better have some sort of an inside presence. 

The game is evolving into more and more of a perimeter game and especially behind the three point arc.  The ability of the NBA guys to shoot from long range has progressed so far with guys like Curry and Lilliard.  30 years ago I just didn’t see three pointers being made with such as they are now.

That being said a solid post game can go a long way because many folks don’t know how to defend the post well anymore.  So for may taste, I still like a good point guard and a string post game.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:32 AM, pioneer42 said:

I will say this. You live and die with the three. You better have a post player that can finish or at least a player a team has to defend. Because somebody along the way will handle pressure and cut back your transition offense and make you score in the half court. McKenzie has a great team but they better have some sort of an inside presence. 

Yes. Yes. And yes again!  Exhibit A: Loretto game.  We had 2 scorers in that game and no one else because Loretto did exactly what Pioneer said.  They extended on defense.  Took away our shooters and we had no answer inside. 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:32 AM, pioneer42 said:

Briley Auvenshine and Peyton Ognibene may be our inside options this year. 

12 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

Yes. Yes. And yes again!  Exhibit A: Loretto game.  We had 2 scorers in that game and no one else because Loretto did exactly what Pioneer said.  They extended on defense.  Took away our shooters and we had no answer inside. 

11 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

Briley Auvenshine and Peyton Ognibene may be our inside options this year. 

North Green is not quite as long as Loretto and are not terribly quick but have good fundamentals and have some size and always seem to be in the right spot in the paint and up top. We were 3-21 from 3 point land against them. McKenzie will be tough and probably pre-season number 1 and deserving, but there will be some challengers.