10th Annual Ed Cressel Classic

10th Annual Ed Cressel Classic
January 14 & 15, 2022
Virginia High School
Bristol, VA

42 teams now committed from over 5 states.  We will keep taking teams due to the fact that we can run a 32 or a 64 man bracket.  We will utilize both gyms this year and should be able to fit 7 or 8 mats down total.  Please email me at jshuler@bvps.org if you are interested in the tournament.  If you want to see the level of competition the tournament brings then just pull it up on trackwrestling.com.  Below are the teams committed for the 10th annual tournament.

Virginia High
Tennessee High
Central, VA (Wise)
George Wythe, VA (Wytheville):
Grayson County, VA
Rockbridge County, VA
Castlewood HS, VA
Blacksburg, VA
Galax, VA
Chilhowie, VA
Marion, VA
Union, VA
Northwood, VA
Patrick Henry, VA (Glade)
Honaker, VA
Holston, VA
Shady Spring, WV
Richlands, VA
Tazewell, VA
Fishburne Military School, VA
Rustburg, VA
Roanoke Catholic, VA
John Battle, VA
Graham, VA
Lebanon, VA
Abingdon, VA
Volunteer, TN
Amherst County, VA
Oak Hill Academy, VA
Cleveland, TN
Spring Valley, WV
Wirt County, WV
Avery County, NC
Cave Spring, VA
Georgetown Prep, MD
Sullivan East, TN
Carroll County, VA
Dobyns-Bennett, TN
Ravenswood, WV
Lee, VA
Pulaski County, VA
David Crockett, TN

16 minutes ago, BearcatWrestling said:

They will definitely be one of the teams to watch.  They were really tough 2 years ago and a fun team to watch.  As a coach and as the tournament director I am excited to see them return.  

The HWT Andrews won his 3rd state championship and finished 2nd in this tournament got beat by Hamilton at 220. The 132 pounder Shell won his 2nd state championship and won this tournament.Those will be the 2 to keep a eye on.

Edited by Appvol

• 4 weeks later...

Excited to announce the addition of Rural Retreat to the Ed Cressel Classic. This is a huge addition to an already very tough tournament. Also, I know some of you already know I have taken the head coaching job at Tennessee High School. We will STILL have the Ed Cressel Classic each year. With the help of Viking Wrestling Club and Virginia High’s new coaching staff we will work together to continue this tournament as long as possible.  Below is my new email address if you need to contact me.

Thanks,

Josh Shuler

Head wrestling coach - Tennessee High School

Co-Tournament Director - Ed Cressel Classic

ShulerJ@btcs.org

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

I have never been to a wrestling tournament.  I may make this my first on Saturday.  Would go Friday, but D-B plays Boone tomorrow night in hoops.  What can I expect as a first timer?

I will be there. I went to Avery back in the day. Went 2 years ago it was a really good tournament. Avery has 2 kids committed to App St. The 138 and HWT.

• Like 1