Gary Rankin vs. George Quarles

chs1984

It’s a rare occasion that would cause me to start a new thread on here, but I accidentally stumbled onto a 10 year old thread on a competing site (don’t worry Mr. moderator, I’m not going to name the site but I will say that IMO the posters and site were inferior to Coach T.) that compared Coach Rankin and Coach Quarles. The best post on the site pointed out that they would like to see how both coaches would fare in a state that played superior high school football than what is played in Tennessee. Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

It’s a rare occasion that would cause me to start a new thread on here, but I accidentally stumbled onto a 10 year old thread on a competing site (don’t worry Mr. moderator, I’m not going to name the site but I will say that IMO the posters and site were inferior to Coach T.) that compared Coach Rankin and Coach Quarles. The best post on the site pointed out that they would like to see how both coaches would fare in a state that played superior high school football than what is played in Tennessee. Thoughts?

Quarles would succeed at any level, not sure the same could be said about the other guy.

• Like 1

This is a great question. It would definitely have been fun if these two guys coached at big time schools in a state where football is a higher priority, then it is in Tennessee. 

I don’t think it has a simple answer, though. They are both outstanding football coaches. I think you can truly make an argument for either one. That’s a boring answer, but it’s just my opinion. 

14 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Quarles would succeed at any level, not sure the same could be said about the other guy.

I agree to some point. IMO, I think Rankin bring's a lot to the table in discipline, practice layout and preparation, and game planing. His offensive style leans more toward a larger school, dominant Offensive Line system, Hence, 2009 and 2010.

Alcoa, a 3A program needs to create balance Offensively to be competitive against larger teams for 4 quarters. I think you will see that more moving forward. Similar to the Game plan and play Alcoa used in the 2020 Championship game.

13 hours ago, HTV said:

The only real comparison is what they did head to head.  

And that one isn't even close. 

I know the murvul peps don't like this, but true to the core. 6A vs 3A. It is not a even playing field. fact.

In years where Alcoa can compete or have an edge at the line of scrimmage, Alcoa has won. 

Bottom line, Depth has been a big factor.

35 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

I know the murvul peps don't like this, but true to the core. 6A vs 3A. It is not a even playing field. fact.

In years where Alcoa can compete or have an edge at the line of scrimmage, Alcoa has won. 

I agree on the 3A vs 6A comparison. I wish we would could find a powerhouse 6A team to play and drop the 3A team. I know it’s just a hype game and a moneymaker. It truly isn’t fair for the smaller schools to play Maryville.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

Except for last year, truth is that Alcoa doesnt play anyone game in and game out that even has a remote chance of beating them.  No disrespect intended to the teams they play but beating ip on Scott co , Union co , sweetwater etc is not proving anything to anyone.  Ill quote an anonymous source here… at a camp in Fla a couple years ago a friend of mines son was being scouted and recruited by several D1 schools and many others in other divisions. My friend was a part of a conversation with several D1 recruiters/coaches and he asked them if they were looking at And “unamed” Alcoa RB and they said and I quote “no because they have no strength of schedule so we really dont know what he could do against real competition”.      As far as depth goes , yall have as many players as most 4A/5A schools so its about player development instead of 7v7 recruiting lol

Edited by GREYRIDERx

32 minutes ago, GREYRIDERx said:

Except for last year, truth is that Alcoa doesnt play anyone game in and game out that even has a remote chance of beating them.  No disrespect intended to the teams they play but beating ip on Scott co , Union co , sweetwater etc is not proving anything to anyone.  Ill quote an anonymous source here… at a camp in Fla a couple years ago a friend of mines son was being scouted and recruited by several D1 schools and many others in other divisions. My friend was a part of a conversation with several D1 recruiters/coaches and he asked them if they were looking at And “unamed” Alcoa RB and they said and I quote “no because they have no strength of schedule so we really dont know what he could do against real competition”.      As far as depth goes , yall have as many players as most 5&6A schools so its about player development instead of 7v7 recruiting lol

Alcoa only dressed 60 some odd players for the championship game. That is equal to most 5A/6A schools?  

24 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Alcoa only dressed 60 some odd players for the championship game. That is equal to most 5A/6A schools?  

You are correct BPM. There’s no equality in that. As I said earlier it’s not fair to the smaller school. I hope the power that be will look at this in the future. Alcoa would have 15-0 seasons every year if it wasn’t for the game with Maryville. 

• Upvote 1