Gary Rankin vs. George Quarles

chs1984

8 hours ago, Rebel1972 said:

Alcoa is not the same Alcoa of old with only the “small school” community talent to chose from.  I sat in the stands for many games when they had to play a lot of their players both ways. It is not the same anymore. You have just as many skilled bodies as Maryville does and more than most schools 3A or 6A.  I think Alcoa is a great team and I have a ton of respect for them until they cry “oh gosh darn we can’t compete with those big ole schools.” It doesn’t matter if you have 100 kids on your roster if they aren’t talented. If you have 11 on each side that have alittle bit of talent you are ahead of most schools no matter what class they are in.

You hear that big school excuse from Rankin.

You are absolutely right about Alcoa having talent and not the same as the old program.  That has been the goal to buid a stronger program . And, they've not done building the football program up to compete way beyond a 3A program level.

Yes,  Alcoa's success has brought skilled and talented players into the program.  But, not anymore so than other top programs in the area.

Most of  the things that Alcoa has done to go from as you describe "old" to "new"  is/was what Murvul has been doing. Simply..... kids want to play for winners.

Alcoa has great talent.  Murvul has great talent.  5 Star Preps listed his top 30 players from the ETN area. Murvul has 4 players on that list., with Burks being at the top.  Both teams are blessed with talent year in and year out.

When Rankin talks about competing against big schools, he is right. Regardless what Murvul peps think, whine and moan about when he bring it up, it is STILL fact. Talent and skill level wise Alcoa is there. No doubt.

Depth wise NO!

Fact 60 -70 is ALWAYS less than 90-100. Yes, 11 on the field,  but you have to rely heavily on 2 and 3 level players in Murvul game.

Plus, with the game always played in early September,  it is played in some of the hottest days. Brutal heat is typical for that game.

It would benefit Alcoa playing that game in October or November.

Alcoa runs their horses hard to compete in that game. The players know the importance of the rivalry and play at 110% as does Murvul.

But, you will see the affects taking its toll on Alcoa with cramps and just physically being  tired in the 4 quarters.

And, this is what Rankin talking about. It is fact. It takes a lot in game planning and play to over come.

The F5 has closed the gap and have/are making it a yearly 4 quarter battle.

IMO, I see the gap closing even more! Alcoa always schedules up in non region games to continue to elevate their play.

Even their pre season scrimmages this season, they have McCallie and a team from the Atlanta area.

Thats what it takes to have continue success against bigger 6A programs. Alcoa playing Murvul has made them better. Their success comes from doing similar things as the Rebels. 

Now, it's  time for Murvul to learn somethings from Alcoa.

With bigger, more talented teams popping up  like Oakland, you have to elevate your play and plan to overcome the numbers and talent.

Exactly what Alcoa has to do facing top level 6A teams.

8 hours ago, STARSNBARS said:

R1972 ewe brang upp sum goodur points......Plus Alcoee's 11 starturs iz way biggurer thain our littull fellurs....Thay way a lot moore onn tha houf man purr man.....:popcorneater:

Bless your little heart!

What happened when them thur Rebels put there 11 against them thur Patriots?:lol:

Don't bring up size and depth like Rankin!  :-o

Stork will have to call the funeral home again!!!:roflolk:

.......funny how that is,...when you put the shoe on the other foot....:D love it!

4 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

You are absolutely right about Alcoa having talent and not the same as the old program.  That has been the goal to buid a stronger program . And, they've not done building the football program up to compete way beyond a 3A program level.

Yes,  Alcoa's success has brought skilled and talented players into the program.  But, not anymore so than other top programs in the area.

Most of  the things that Alcoa has done to go from as you describe "old" to "new"  is/was what Murvul has been doing. Simply..... kids want to play for winners.

Alcoa has great talent.  Murvul has great talent.  5 Star Preps listed his top 30 players from the ETN area. Murvul has 4 players on that list., with Burks being at the top.  Both teams are blessed with talent year in and year out.

When Rankin talks about competing against big schools, he is right. Regardless what Murvul peps think, whine and moan about when he bring it up, it is STILL fact. Talent and skill level wise Alcoa is there. No doubt.

Depth wise NO!

Fact 60 -70 is ALWAYS less than 90-100. Yes, 11 on the field,  but you have to rely heavily on 2 and 3 level players in Murvul game.

Plus, with the game always played in early September,  it is played in some of the hottest days. Brutal heat is typical for that game.

Alcoa runs their horses hard to compete in that game. The players know the importance of the rivalry and play at 110% as does Murvul.

But, you will see the affects taking its toll on Alcoa with cramps and just physically being  tired in the 4 quarters.

And, this is what Rankin talking about. It is fact. It takes a lot in game planning and play to over come.

IMO, I see the gap closing even more! Alcoa always schedules up in non region games to continue to elevate their play.

Even their pre season scrimmages this season, they have McCallie and a team from the Atlanta area.

Thats what it takes to have continue success against bigger 6A programs. Alcoa playing Murvul has made them better. Their success comes from doing similar things as the Rebels. 

With bigger, more talented teams popping up  like Oakland, you have to elevate your play and plan to overcome the numbers and talent.

Now Bee Cee it's funny how you always bring up "non region" games. Tell me more about your region games. 

I believe they come up a little short, when it counts.

Tee Hee Hee

Tall Woman with tiny man by lowerrider on DeviantArt | Tall women fashion,  Tall women, Tall girl

6 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Depth wise NO!

You make some good points, but .............

In reality how many players actually play in any program, no matter how many bodies are represented on the roster?  35?  And that's probably a bit high for most schools.  

Point being, Alcoa's 35 are as good as anybody's 35 in the state, no matter what classification they play in.  

And an edit:  

As I have said before, I am all for parental choice in education, no matter what the reason.  As long as transfer rules are followed and the governing bodies (local school districts, TSSAA) deem a student eligible to attend a school and play sports I am all for it.  

Edited by HTV

On 7/24/2021 at 3:30 AM, BCsportsfan said:

Depth wise NO!

Excellent post!

23 hours ago, HTV said:

You make some good points, but .............

In reality how many players actually play in any program, no matter how many bodies are represented on the roster?  35?  And that's probably a bit high for most schools.  

Point being, Alcoa's 35 are as good as anybody's 35 in the state, no matter what classification they play in.  

And an edit:  

As I have said before, I am all for parental choice in education, no matter what the reason.  As long as transfer rules are followed and the governing bodies (local school districts, TSSAA) deem a student eligible to attend a school and play sports I am all for it.  

In the big games depth is key. You have to rotate players in and out, justs you see in SEC play. Even more so in early September game. 

On 7/24/2021 at 8:28 AM, MarevulBigGal said:

Now Bee Cee it's funny how you always bring up "non region" games. Tell me more about your region games. 

I believe they come up a little short, when it counts.

Tee Hee Hee

Tall Woman with tiny man by lowerrider on DeviantArt | Tall women fashion,  Tall women, Tall girl

Last season Alcoa played three 6A programs.  Two that made in to the third round of the playoffs.  One of them late in the season,  that Alcoa beat and held to less than half their season total yards and just 7 points......then Murvul struggled to beat the same team 35-28...and the games was closer than the score showed.  So, just who does not measure up? 

The only thing that REALLY came up short was the Rebels against the Patriots. Stork can tell you more about that short coming.....

On 7/22/2021 at 12:29 PM, TSSAAdaddy said:

This is accurate. I hear Alcoa talk about their reasons for not playing up, Maryville having more kids, etc.

Actually Maryville played up in the super 32 a few years ago. Some of the teams Maryville played and defeated had more than 1000 kids more in their enrollment. Didn't hear any excuses from them.

I think coach Rankin is a very good high school football coach, but even as a Riverdale fan I would have to agree that Maryville has owned him.

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

In the big games depth is key. You have to rotate players in and out, justs you see in SEC play. Even more so in early September game. 

I understand that completely.  

I also understand that most high school teams don't play more than 30-35 players when the game is still a game.  

5 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Last season Alcoa played three 6A programs.  Two that made in to the third round of the playoffs.  One of them late in the season,  that Alcoa beat and held to less than half their season total yards and just 7 points......then Murvul struggled to beat the same team 35-28...and the games was closer than the score showed.  So, just who does not measure up? 

The only thing that REALLY came up short was the Rebels against the Patriots. Stork can tell you more about that short coming.....

OK Bee Cee, I see how you bringing up these stats and comparing scores. Alcoee did come up short last year against Marevul and Alcoee can have the stat column (win). Tee Hee Hee. In the last Alcoee and Marevul game in 2019 at Alcoee, which team rushed for 250 ish and the other for 50 ish?

As far as Marevul playing Oakland the Rebels did actually lose to a great team. But the Marevul boys still hold the series lead over Oakland and dominate the combined series records with Ruco teams, much like Alcoee does their series record with Scott Co.

Tee Hee Hee

3 hours ago, MarevulBigGal said:

OK Bee Cee, I see how you bringing up these stats and comparing scores. Alcoee did come up short last year against Marevul and Alcoee can have the stat column (win). Tee Hee Hee. In the last Alcoee and Marevul game in 2019 at Alcoee, which team rushed for 250 ish and the other for 50 ish?

As far as Marevul playing Oakland the Rebels did actually lose to a great team. But the Marevul boys still hold the series lead over Oakland and dominate the combined series records with Ruco teams, much like Alcoee does their series record with Scott Co.

Tee Hee Hee

Who won the 2018 game on murvul's own field......who held murvul to just 142 total yard.....just last season?  Had Alcoa had a veteran QB last season, the Rebels would have been run off their own field.:thumb:

BTW, who has a documentary detailing the sucess of the program.....NOT murvul!:lol: