Cornersville @ Forrest

dawgswin

It's past time for a change in Chapel Hill. It was ugly and this recap will be ugly also. 

Cornersville pushed Forrest all over the field last night. There was nothing that Forrest did better than Cornersville. I don't even know where to begin. 

1. Eli made two horrible decisions, both related to scoring. 

A. In the first half he decided to play a "keeping up with the joneses" game with Cville and went for 2 after scoring a late TD in the first half. It failed. Forrest has a kicker that went 2 for 2 against Eagleville. You always take the point. Period. You do not know how the game will unfold. There were multiple scenarios where that point couldve made a difference. Ultimately, it did not, but that isnt the issue. 

B. this was by far the worst one- with a 4th and 5 from the 5, virtually an extra point, and trailing 16-6, Eli, instead of kicking the FG and pulling to within 1 score with a chance to onside, decided to go for the 1st, and it of course failed miserably. This is an egregious insult to the kids who worked their tails off. He, and this isn't even close to the first time, did not put his kids in the best position to win. 

2. Forrest, who used to be known as a physical tough team, looked like they had not practiced hitting all season. 

3. Same predictable offense. I'm not sure Forrest had 100 yds minus the gimmicky play that got them the TD. 

4. Defense collapsed on the right side (their right) on the run that led to the first TD (I thought he got in, the ref didnt), the 1st 2 pt, the 2nd Td and the 2nd 2 pt. Cville ran the same stack and Forrest looked bewildered.

5. Cason Warner wasn't dominant, but he didnt need to be. He played well and scored and did what his team needed him to do. Cville had several effective backs. I bet its nice to be Warner this am.  Imagine Forrest thinking this kid needed to be a lineman. Another example of the incompetence at The Rock. It's embarrassing and an affront to previous hard nosed teams who were well coached. This kid went across the county and kicked your butt on your home field. How does the Forrest staff live with themselves? The staff at the middle school and youth levels also have woefully misused talent, instead, choosing to play their own children at key positions. All of that funnels into this collapsing high school program. Spoiled entitled kids (not all of them, so don't freak out on me) with no clue as to real competition. That's why the best of them are leaving for CVille, Summit, and more.  

6. Eli is riding a 2019 season that he had virtually nothing to do with. Johns' kids were in peak form. Eli almost blew 2 of those games and was horrible in the Riverside game. 

7. Cville deserved to win. They were the better team from start to finish. Exactly what I expected. Watching it unfold was still sickening. 

8. Ill advised pick in his own red zone from the senior QB, and a bad unsportsmanlike penalty from another senior in the secondary did not help. Forrest continues to be undisciplined. Penalties, jawing after the whistle, etc. 

9. Swift, Burchell, and Davis have all but disappeared in the new offensive game plan after being the best 3 players on the offense last year. More mind boggling stuff.

If Forrest  1. Cannot even be competitive on their home field against their 1A cross county rival, and 2. The powers that be arent even going to consider that Eli is way in over his head, then, other than concession revenue, why have a program at all? What's the point? The kids are getting screwed, the fans are getting tortured, and the only prevailing feeling is that of disappointment and unmet potential. 

Edited by GeneralForrest

Havent been on since last season and just read through the thread. Not as crazy as I thought it would be. Both teams defenses lived up to the billing and in my personal opinion was a good game by both teams. Last drive for Forrest was one of twilight zone moments. Not sure what coach Eli said or did, but the white hat looked right at him and threw the flag for the unsportsmanlike. All in with the exception of that last drive, a good clean football game. I do agree that Forrest offense is very vanilla, but how much of that is not wanting to show much and keeping the game plan simple in week 2? Great game to watch.

7 hours ago, Jobres76 said:

Havent been on since last season and just read through the thread. Not as crazy as I thought it would be. Both teams defenses lived up to the billing and in my personal opinion was a good game by both teams. Last drive for Forrest was one of twilight zone moments. Not sure what coach Eli said or did, but the white hat looked right at him and threw the flag for the unsportsmanlike. All in with the exception of that last drive, a good clean football game. I do agree that Forrest offense is very vanilla, but how much of that is not wanting to show much and keeping the game plan simple in week 2? Great game to watch.

ive never understood this idea of  "saving plays"

what are you saving them for...the offseason? this was the 2nd best team on their schedule. 

Eli was a disaster. his going for it late in the 4th when you take the points and make it 16-9 is the worst decision of his short career, and there have been plenty. 

Rushing 

Cornersville-Mason Calahan 9-71, Ben Franklin 14-43-TD, Cason Warner 13-38-TD

Forrest-Brenton Burchell 9-77, Liam Bell 6-19, Chris Davis 4-6, Tayton Swift 1-4

So Warner was the 3rd highest rusher on his team. 13 for 38 isn't exactly Derrick Henry stats, but he didn't need those. As earlier stated, he did what his team needed to win. 

The other huge thing that stands out is that Swift and Davis (both jrs) COMBINED had few carries than Bell (soph). I cannot for the life of me understand that. Nothing against Bell, who is talented and comes from an athletic family. But why are Davis and Swift not getting the ball more? And can't Burchell carry it more than 9 times in a game?

My word  

Edited by GeneralForrest