Tha mightee Panthurs come two 825

STARSNBARS

3 hours ago, Tadvols said:

Hahahaha ... "No Discipline  " is Lowe and Powell's middle name  ...  they got players on team that should be suspended from playing but because its the 2 best WR's on team  .. they didnt do anything about  it ... it WIN AT ALL COSTS at Powell  .. and with LOWE ( Mr No Discipline )  

Dude will you get over the two players. They ain’t going to change nothing about it so move on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, edwardblake said:

Wish I could make it to this one. Maryville OL will have their hands full with Nolen that's for sure. I think this will be a competitive game though.

All I know is that the furness will be set on 90 at kickoff and be much hotter on the field. All I can say is don't let this get drawn out like the Anderson County game or Powell will live long enough to beat you.

Edited by BarneySox2007

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

I also did not realize the sheer hatred of everyone towards Powell until I've talked with friends in various areas of East TN about this game.

I think they’ve kinda got the “bad boy” stigma attached to them around the area, similar to the Miami Hurricanes in the late 80’s early 90’s, but on the HS level, of course. Not saying it’s a valid stigma by any means, but just what I perceive personally. As an OR fan, I don’t hate them by any means, although I’m not the biggest fan. But like HTV said, if you find yourself legitimately “hating” anybody simply because they’re on a football team you don’t like, then maybe that says a lot more about yourself than them. I love this game, but some folks take it WAY too personal. This isn’t life or death. With that said, I also think Lowe tends to take on that bad boy type persona in a way, so it makes him sort of a villain in a lot of circles. Whatever it is, it garners the program a lot of attention, that’s for sure. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I think they’ve kinda got the “bad boy” stigma attached to them around the area, similar to the Miami Hurricanes in the late 80’s early 90’s, but on the HS level, of course. Not saying it’s a valid stigma by any means, but just what I perceive personally. As an OR fan, I don’t hate them by any means, although I’m not the biggest fan. But like HTV said, if you find yourself legitimately “hating” anybody simply because they’re on a football team you don’t like, then maybe that says a lot more about yourself than them. I love this game, but some folks take it WAY too personal. This isn’t life or death. With that said, I also think Lowe tends to take on that bad boy type persona in a way, so it makes him sort of a villain in a lot of circles. Whatever it is, it garners the program a lot of attention, that’s for sure. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I honestly haven't had much contact with Matt, or anybody at Powell for that matter, since I retired from broadcasting after the 2017 season.  But I did spent a lot of time with him during my time at Powell and then I still stayed in contact while he was at TKA until I retired.  

Matt is a different type of personality, one that many don't understand, or even if they do he rubs them the wrong way.  He's one of those "you love him or hate him" guy.  No middle ground.  He is driven to be the best football coach he can be, and he really doesn't care what anybody thinks about him or how he coaches his team.  He's going to do it his way, like it or not.  I have never heard of a kid who played for him who didn't like him.  There are some daddies, maybe who didn't, but most of those that I know of had sons who weren't quite as good as they thought they were.  The kids seemed to handle it fine.  

There is plenty of room for coaches with differing personalities.  GQ was much different a personality than is Gary Rankin, but I don't think you can question the success of either.  Derek Hunt and Bryson Rosser are very different.  Again, both have been quite successful doing it "their way".  Caine Ballard and Scott Cummings - much different styles, but both have state championship rings as head coaches. No such thing as one size fits all.  But the one thing those guys have in common is that kids play hard for them.  Matt is no different.