Tha mightee Panthurs come two 825

STARSNBARS

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I think they’ve kinda got the “bad boy” stigma attached to them around the area, similar to the Miami Hurricanes in the late 80’s early 90’s, but on the HS level, of course. Not saying it’s a valid stigma by any means, but just what I perceive personally. As an OR fan, I don’t hate them by any means, although I’m not the biggest fan. But like HTV said, if you find yourself legitimately “hating” anybody simply because they’re on a football team you don’t like, then maybe that says a lot more about yourself than them. I love this game, but some folks take it WAY too personal. This isn’t life or death. With that said, I also think Lowe tends to take on that bad boy type persona in a way, so it makes him sort of a villain in a lot of circles. Whatever it is, it garners the program a lot of attention, that’s for sure. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Most of it is directed at Lowe more than anyone. One (non Knox Co, Blount Co. or 5A coach) said "he's gonna get what he deserves one day, and I'm going to love every second of it when he does".

12 minutes ago, Solomon said:

Most of it is directed at Lowe more than anyone. One (non Knox Co, Blount Co. or 5A coach) said "he's gonna get what he deserves one day, and I'm going to love every second of it when he does".

Sounds like a case of jealousy to me. 

If that coach has evidence, then he needs to pass it on.  There have been so many accusations leveled the last several years, yet it all seem to be baseless. 

But, if you want to believe that it's just a big conspiracy involving Powell, Knox County Schools brass, and TSSAA officials to let them get away with something like the other tinfoil hat wearers on this forum do, then so be it. 

Otherwise it appears to be nothing but sour grapes.  

But those who desire to can hate away, but I stand by what I said. 

And an edit: 

Still waiting to hear exactly how Powell is breaking the rules. 

Specifics, please. 

I'll hang up and listen for your answer off the air. 

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HTV said:

Sounds like a case of jealousy to me. 

If that coach has evidence, then he needs to pass it on.  There have been so many accusations leveled the last several years, yet it all seem to be baseless. 

But, if you want to believe that it's just a big conspiracy involving Powell, Knox County Schools brass, and TSSAA officials to let them get away with something like the other tinfoil hat wearers on this forum do, then so be it. 

Otherwise it appears to be nothing but sour grapes.  

But those who desire to can hate away, but I stand by what I said. 

And an edit: 

Still waiting to hear exactly how Powell is breaking the rules. 

Specifics, please. 

I'll hang up and listen for your answer off the air. 

I don't have a clue if he breaks a rule or not. Seems to me to be doing what Fulton was able to pull off for years. It was a genius move when he brought that OC in. Whether how he's pulling it off is against the rules or not, heck if I know. Only people that would have bona fide evidence probably don't want the TSSAA sniffing around Knox Co. at all so they keep their mouths shut.

I doubt my friend does either, but he's been in the same coaching circles. But when you are managed to not be liked or, in many cases, respected by nearly everyone in your profession for one reason or other, eventually it catches up to you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HTV said:

I honestly haven't had much contact with Matt, or anybody at Powell for that matter, since I retired from broadcasting after the 2017 season.  But I did spent a lot of time with him during my time at Powell and then I still stayed in contact while he was at TKA until I retired.  

Matt is a different type of personality, one that many don't understand, or even if they do he rubs them the wrong way.  He's one of those "you love him or hate him" guy.  No middle ground.  He is driven to be the best football coach he can be, and he really doesn't care what anybody thinks about him or how he coaches his team.  He's going to do it his way, like it or not.  I have never heard of a kid who played for him who didn't like him.  There are some daddies, maybe who didn't, but most of those that I know of had sons who weren't quite as good as they thought they were.  The kids seemed to handle it fine.  

There is plenty of room for coaches with differing personalities.  GQ was much different a personality than is Gary Rankin, but I don't think you can question the success of either.  Derek Hunt and Bryson Rosser are very different.  Again, both have been quite successful doing it "their way".  Caine Ballard and Scott Cummings - much different styles, but both have state championship rings as head coaches. No such thing as one size fits all.  But the one thing those guys have in common is that kids play hard for them.  Matt is no different.  

I've known Matt for over 30 years and that is pretty accurate, "you either love him or hate him." The type of coach he is was also the type of player he was,  was max effort/all out type player. We knew as kids that he was going to be the high school coach once Duncan decided the retire or step away from Powell because some people are born to do certain things. He connects with kids, he's adapted to todays kids personalities and what is exciting. He's created a fun atmosphere on Emory Road and it seems to be working on how it rubs others wrong. You won't see another coach come with accusations against Powell, because their own house is not in order. But again, if you're getting mad now about Powell now you've been out of the loop since the early 90's. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, strongx said:

Will murvil pressure the passer Thursday night, or will they sit in zone not giving up big play? 

What’s the O/U for total punts in this game? 3.5?

sx eye wood moove tha dessymull point two tha rite a cupple places and add a cupple moore nauts......jmo.....:popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

19 hours ago, Solomon said:

I don't have a clue if he breaks a rule or not. Seems to me to be doing what Fulton was able to pull off for years. It was a genius move when he brought that OC in. Whether how he's pulling it off is against the rules or not, heck if I know. Only people that would have bona fide evidence probably don't want the TSSAA sniffing around Knox Co. at all so they keep their mouths shut.

I doubt my friend does either, but he's been in the same coaching circles. But when you are managed to not be liked or, in many cases, respected by nearly everyone in your profession for one reason or other, eventually it catches up to you.

Totally different day in coaching now.  There is so much pressure on coaches to win and win quickly.  "Respecting" others means they are nice guys and you are beating them in this day and time, especially in Knox County.  

It's not the 70s/80s/90s any longer.  Social media has changed high school sports, and not necessarily to the better. It's all about the W and if coaches don't win and win now they don't last long.   

And you said it yourself - you have no idea.  Apparently neither does the coach whom you talked to, or else he would file a report with the proper people.  

It's funny that for years people claimed that Maryville and Alcoa had to be doing something illegal because they were winning.  I never believed that, and after seeing it closer it confirmed my beliefs.  What Powell is "guilty" of is becoming a very good program.  Some of the other programs in the area, especially in Knox County, are being outworked at the very things they have been doing in past years and they don't like it.  

Like I have said, it's simply sour grapes and those who continue to point fingers without offering one bit of evidence of wrongdoing are nothing but hypocrites.  

Edited by HTV

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Totally different day in coaching now.  There is so much pressure on coaches to win and win quickly.  "Respecting" others means they are nice guys and you are beating them in this day and time, especially in Knox County.  

It's not the 70s/80s/90s any longer.  Social media has changed high school sports, and not necessarily to the better. It's all about the W and if coaches don't win and win now they don't last long.   

And you said it yourself - you have no idea.  Apparently neither does the coach whom you talked to, or else he would file a report with the proper people.  

It's funny that for years people claimed that Maryville and Alcoa had to be doing something illegal because they were winning.  I never believed that, and after seeing it closer it confirmed my beliefs.  What Powell is "guilty" of is becoming a very good program.  Some of the other programs in the area, especially in Knox County, are being outworked at the very things they have been doing in past years and they don't like it.  

Like I have said, it's simply sour grapes and those who continue to point fingers without offering one bit of evidence of wrongdoing are nothing but hypocrites.  

Do you have any insight to the situation involving the 2 players who were allegedly caught with marijuana at school?  I believe those offenses are zero tolerance and usually leads to a 180 day suspension from that school.  Not sure the details on what happened, but both players played last week.  That incident may contribute to some of the attitudes toward Lowe and his program

56 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Do you have any insight to the situation involving the 2 players who were allegedly caught with marijuana at school?  I believe those offenses are zero tolerance and usually leads to a 180 day suspension from that school.  Not sure the details on what happened, but both players played last week.  That incident may contribute to some of the attitudes toward Lowe and his program

I've said it before, all I know is what has been thrown out there by the finger pointers.  I haven't talked to any coaches or administrators at Powell since March, so, no, I have no insight, just opinion.  

What I do know is that apparently the accusations were just that, accusations, because they are still enrolled at Powell and playing sports.  

For those who believe something different it would indicate that the Powell administration, Knox County Schools officials, and KCSD (who provides resource officers at Powell) are involved in some kind of conspiracy to allow students to escape penalties.  And why would Knox County schools favor one school over another when it comes to "by the book" discipline? Just not rational and reasonable to believe that Powell is getting some kind of special treatment here.  Why would they?   

That just doesn't make sense.  Looks to be just more finger pointing and sour grapes.  

And an edit:

If they had actually done what the finger pointers have accused and it is a 180 day book no tolerance penalty, then I would certainly be for that penalty being handed out.  Giving special treatment wouldn't be doing them any favors.  Young people have to learn what the consequences of their actions result in.  

Edited just now by HTV

Edited by HTV
  • Like 2