D2 AAA

plato

1 hour ago, PurplePanther said:

Well said.  You are so right especially when mentioning Simpson and Dietrich. Records also speak for themselves....FR HC would need to go undefeated for a few years to get to .500.

As you probably know I said nothing that is not true!  The issue that I have is that over the past several years those individuals (Board of Trust & Jim McIntyre) have refused to take the necessary steps to truly fix the football program.  Great facilities, shinny new weight rooms, and all the cliches that anyone can quote do not win football games.  Games are won with leadership, sweat equity along with really hard work and that starts at the very top.  There is a reason that MBA, Ensworth, McCallie, Baylor, CBHS and now Pope John Paul II have successful football programs.  Everyone even remotely involved with the athletic program must be pulling on the same end of the rope. At FR you have several alumni that have coached at the college level or are currently very successful coaches at the high school level.  From what I have been told most all of those individuals feel as if they have been pushed out of the picture and their opinions are not valued.  You have people making football decisions that have never played a down of college football.  Why not take advantage of alumni that are free resources?

Edited by cbg

5 hours ago, cbg said:

Both the Father Ryan  play calling decisions and clock management were atrocious.  The last two coaching hires by Father Ryan have come from the Tennessee public school ranks and that  has proven to be a poor decision by both the Board of Directors and President of the school.  In D2AAA you not only have to be a very well coached team but you must be willing to both recruit and admit the best available athletes.  The difference between the Father Ryan football program and the Father Ryan wrestling & soccer programs is the leadership.  Robin Dietrich & Pat Simpson expect to win every match/game.  That is why wrestling and soccer are in the hunt for a state championship most every season.  In football they only hope to win which is not a formula for success.  Unfortunately the football program does not have a winning attitude and therefore they do not win within their region.  Winning against non region teams and public school teams is worthless if you want to compete in D2AAA. The Board of Directors (less than 50% are alumni of Father Ryan) is responsible for the complete collapse of the football program and the Board of Directors are the only ones that have the ability/responsibility to fix the football program.  As an example just look at how quickly a dynamic coach like Trent Dilfer was able to return David Lipscomb into a championship quality program.  The question that the Board of Directors should be asking themselves is what has the region record been since the last state championship was won in 1997 and what should we do to fix the problems and right the Father Ryan football team.

Please use a better example for a coach that Dilfer. He is not all you think. Offer him some serious money and father Ryan can have him. As for me I will take a coach McCadams anyday and I am sure many real Lipscomb fans would also. Dilfer is buying a program with recruits and coach mac built a program with class. Lipscomb has no class now and that starts at the head man. He has to be the focal point of the program.    Games are won with leadership, sweat equity along with really hard work and that starts at the very top and Dilfer is none of these.

Edited by fb247
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Please use a better example for a coach that Dilfer. He is not all you think. Offer him some serious money and father Ryan can have him. As for me I will take a coach McCadams anyday and I am sure many real Lipscomb fans would also. Dilfer is buying a program with recruits and coach mac built a program with class. Lipscomb has no class now and that starts at the head man. He has to be the focal point of the program.    Games are won with leadership, sweat equity along with really hard work and that starts at the very top and Dilfer is none of these.

You may not like Trent Dilfer (I don’t know anything about him personally) but he has quickly rebuilt Lipscomb into a winner.  The days of someone like Coach McAdams (he was a great coach and man)  beating up on the little public school teams is over.  If you want to win in D2 you are going to be required to recruit and run it more like a college program.  The profile and appearance of your student body will also look much different than when Coach McAdams was coaching.  If you only want your student body profile to be that 90+% of your student body come  from upper middle class families that attended Lipscomb Elementary and Middle School you will not be able to compete against the upper echelon teams in D2 on a consistent basis.  

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

You may not like Trent Dilfer (I don’t know anything about him personally) but he has quickly rebuilt Lipscomb into a winner.  The days of someone like Coach McAdams (he was a great coach and man)  beating up on the little public school teams is over.  If you want to win in D2 you are going to be required to recruit and run it more like a college program.  The profile and appearance of your student body will also look much different than when Coach McAdams was coaching.  If you only want your student body profile to be that 90+% of your student body come  from upper middle class families that attended Lipscomb Elementary and Middle School you will not be able to compete against the upper echelon teams in D2 on a consistent basis.  

Disagree.. when you actually look past the roster reading "nashville Tn" you see that players come from all over the country. Hawaii, Florida, Nevada, California, Texas, Colorado etc. If you feel the need to recruit players from all over the country to compete in D2 AA you may not be the coach you think you are. (I say compete because he can't even beat CPA with all those recruits) don't be scared and take your talents to minimum AAA.. but realistically he should be playing Nationally with his budget and recruits. 

2 minutes ago, lineemup said:

Disagree.. when you actually look past the roster reading "nashville Tn" you see that players come from all over the country. Hawaii, Florida, Nevada, California, Texas, Colorado etc. If you feel the need to recruit players from all over the country to compete in D2 AA you may not be the coach you think you are. (I say compete because he can't even beat CPA with all those recruits) don't be scared and take your talents to minimum AAA.. but realistically he should be playing Nationally with his budget and recruits. 

Her is the questions that I would like to ask:  

1.  Why do you care where your student body comes from?  Are you not an all inclusive school that wishes to open it’s doors to everyone?

2.  What does it matter to you what his budget is for football?  Do you know how much Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, Baylor, Montgomery Bell Academy or CPA spend on football compared to Lipscomb? Does Trent Dilfer not personally raise much of the funds for his program. 

From what I am hearing around Nashville many of the old line Lipscomb families are not happy because “LIL JOHNNY” is no longer getting to play due to the football recruits that have followed Trent Dilfer into the program. Just a hunch but I seriously doubt that Trent Dilfer will be a Lipscomb next season.  He’s not going to listen to people that really don’t 

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

Her is the questions that I would like to ask:  

1.  Why do you care where your student body comes from?  Are you not an all inclusive school that wishes to open it’s doors to everyone?

2.  What does it matter to you what his budget is for football?  Do you know how much Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, Baylor, Montgomery Bell Academy or CPA spend on football compared to Lipscomb? Does Trent Dilfer not personally raise much of the funds for his program. 

From what I am hearing around Nashville many of the old line Lipscomb families are not happy because “LIL JOHNNY” is no longer getting to play due to the football recruits that have followed Trent Dilfer into the program. Just a hunch but I seriously doubt that Trent Dilfer will be a Lipscomb next season.  He’s not going to listen to people that really don’t 

As stated previously, if you want to recruit nationally, be a national team... not impressed you can't win D2 AA in state championship in Tennessee high school football (which isn't even top in country) with all those power 5 kids. Don't feed me that inclusive bull, I don't see him brining in a JV kid full ride from Utah. I could care less who he makes mad. As far as budgets go, is what it is... spend all you want, but you better win at the level your talent is equivalent to. What you should be hearing is 25+ coaches and talent from across the country should equal gold balls at the highest level and honestly a national level tram. Just saying, he ain't all you think he is and the fact that he does what he does just so he can hang 65 points on teams with local talent is sad. 

Baylor looked good against Pope Prep (JP2) from what I saw last night on the Baylor livestream. Pope's first loss of 2021.

McCallie won big over Knox Catholic. McCallie QB #14 is precise with his throws and he has the arm to match.

It's worth watching the video below to see Catholic's lone TD, which happened on a deflected pass.

As for Father Ryan, after what happened last year I'm just grateful we're having a season. It's something I'll never take for granted again.

Losing to MBA hurt, especially in such a close game. But I don't think I can stress enough how important it was to alumni I know on both sides for the series to be renewed.

It certainly was important for me, but I also have a lot of friends from Overbrook who ended up at MBA.

And I've called six FRHS/JP2 games through the years (5 Bishops Cups and the 2017 playoff win by FRHS) and certainly know/appreciate that rivalry and what it has grown into over the past 15 or so years.

But MBA is the one I care about the most. And I doubt that will ever change.

For both schools, the matchup is the last vestige of the old District 11-AAA days. And that era is gone forever.

49 minutes ago, LouPickney said:

Baylor looked good against Pope Prep (JP2) from what I saw last night on the Baylor livestream. Pope's first loss of 2021.

McCallie won big over Knox Catholic. McCallie QB #14 is precise with his throws and he has the arm to match.

It's worth watching the video below to see Catholic's lone TD, which happened on a deflected pass.

As for Father Ryan, after what happened last year I'm just grateful we're having a season. It's something I'll never take for granted again.

Losing to MBA hurt, especially in such a close game. But I don't think I can stress enough how important it was to alumni I know on both sides for the series to be renewed.

It certainly was important for me, but I also have a lot of friends from Overbrook who ended up at MBA.

And I've called six FRHS/JP2 games through the years (5 Bishops Cups and the 2017 playoff win by FRHS) and certainly know/appreciate that rivalry and what it has grown into over the past 15 or so years.

For both schools, the matchup is the last vestige of the old District 11-AAA days. And that era is gone forever.

Lou, errr Lazarus, are you back?

I watched the Baylor-Pope game and was disappointed in Pope's tackling (the 2 fumbles for TD's & penalties were upsetting).

With all the talk about best in the state, Oakland, LA, CPA, etc, how do you think McCallie stacks up?  I said earlier, still the team to beat in D2-AAA.

2 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Sir, Thank you for writing this.  I am an MBA alum and now parent and completely agree.  The MBA-FRHS rivalry was everything that is right in HS football.  I am clearly of your vintage and spent the week explaining to my son the importance of this game.  

As for the game, FRHS acquitted itself very well.  MBA has had its issues over the past few weeks but moving the ball has not been one of them.  FRHS really did an excellent job on defense...MBA did much better against McCallie the 2-time defending champ than against FR.  A lot of tough dudes out there.

My outsider comments:

--FR suffers from not having a 7th - 8th grade, which I think every other D2-AAA team has

--MBA has a ton of parochial league kids in its student body.  Way more than the 80s - 90s.  Cant believe some of the last names on our roster, including a lot of FRSH alumni's kids.  Not just the starters, but a lot of kids buried in the depth chart at MBA that would be contributors at FRHS...

anyways, great to see purple and red on the field again....I miss that game at Vanderbilt every other year.

5 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

Sir, Thank you for writing this.  I am an MBA alum and now parent and completely agree.  The MBA-FRHS rivalry was everything that is right in HS football.  I am clearly of your vintage and spent the week explaining to my son the importance of this game.  

As for the game, FRHS acquitted itself very well.  MBA has had its issues over the past few weeks but moving the ball has not been one of them.  FRHS really did an excellent job on defense...MBA did much better against McCallie the 2-time defending champ than against FR.  A lot of tough dudes out there.

My outsider comments:

--FR suffers from not having a 7th - 8th grade, which I think every other D2-AAA team has

--MBA has a ton of parochial league kids in its student body.  Way more than the 80s - 90s.  Cant believe some of the last names on our roster, including a lot of FRSH alumni's kids.  Not just the starters, but a lot of kids buried in the depth chart at MBA that would be contributors at FRHS...

anyways, great to see purple and red on the field again....I miss that game at Vanderbilt every other year.

I am of your vintage, and made some calls to some of those from my era with kids on the Big Red prior to the game!  LOL!  I moved away for a number of years and was shocked upon my return hearing that we didn't play MBA.  Glad to see the game back even if it was a loss.

I agree that this is a different era.  Ryan didn't need a middle school in the 80s/90s since the parochial league provided the pipeline.  The IPJAC game at the end of the season showcased the freshman team for FR with very few exceptions.  Those days are long gone. Kudos to Pope Prep for recognizing what was needed and laying the foundation.

5 hours ago, lineemup said:

Good grief…calm down.  I’m a parent and parents are happy.  Do you really think Trent is recruiting players from all across the country?  How would you even do that?Do you know these players? Do you think he recruited Luther? (Never one snap of varsity football).  Did he recruit Phil Dawson and his son Beau?  Did he recruit Sam Rousch from California? Believe what you want but families are moving to Nashville (in case you haven’t read the papers) and some of the ones with football players are choosing Lipscomb….and he “hung” 65 on only one local team (independence) and it could’ve been a hundred…scored 45 against FRA last night and no starters played the 2nd half.  He is not evil.  The LA community really likes Trent and Coach Mac as well.

Also, Trent is 1-2 vs CPA….not 0-10.

Tune in Thursday…should be a good one.