D2 AAA

plato

On 9/24/2021 at 8:25 AM, O3t said:

Last year, their football team was undefeated until they lost in the semi's to the overall winner, and the basketball team lost in the State finals.  If thats a down year, its really hard to have a good year.

If that 2020 BA team could play any BA team from 2010-2018, they would lose by at least 3 tds easily. Also, if you look at their schedule they were sneaking by teams and not soundly beating really anyone. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:08 PM, JRB said:

Lou- the audio part was via WHIN radio.  It was bad - and so were the defenses.  It was like watching an intramural flag football game.  BGA's RB was very shifty.  Up next for Pope, MBA. 

Thanks for the clarification re: the audio. I can empathize with equipment challenges during a broadcast.

The borderline unwatchable video quality for many schools is another issue. In some ways, it feels like high school football broadcasting peaked in 2018.

It bothers me on NFHS because that's a paid service. $10.99/month. It costs me more than ESPN+ or New Japan World, and then it looks like an SD video in 4:3 that was stretched to 16:9.

Meanwhile, there are games I called 4-5 years ago that are on YouTube in 1080p HD.

The screencap below looks like someone used a cheat code in a video game to make everyone short. Imagine being a college scout watching this. How many numbers can you read of the 22 players on the field?

20210924-BGA-JP2-NFHS-Network.jpg

I'm not picking on Pope Prep here as I respect their school and their program. Zero animosity from me. If anything, I'm mad on their behalf.

BGA/JP2 was the game I paid to watch on NFHS last night (one stream at a time per account), and I can't see how anyone involved can be happy with the product.

I want to see the broadcast samples that some of these companies are showing to high school decision-makers.

Pope Prep at MBA next week should be a great game. Pope's rushing attack vs. MBA's strong front seven will be a matchup to watch.

What's the word on the Memphis-area II-AAA schools?

Briarcrest at Ensworth will close the regular season and looks intriguing, at least on paper. Briarcrest vs. MUS this Friday should be a key game, particularly for MUS.

Christian Brothers had a 2OT loss to Briarcrest and also lost to Ensworth, but they seem to have a very potent offense.

I feel like I know next to nothing about St. Benedict. They were very hospitable the one time I called a game up there for Father Ryan (the Ryan Bossung 4-interception game) in the 2011 playoffs. But that was a decade ago.

Edited by LouPickney
  • Upvote 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:29 AM, 6one5 said:

After browsing on T for a while, I saw this post and felt compelled to make an account. I have been in the loop about what goes on at BA on the inside for over 10 years now for various reasons. The reason that BA has had players transferring over the last few years, is that the administration/Board of Trustees and headmaster have decided to start moving the school in a way that will negatively affect the school going forward athletically, especially in football. The days of BA getting guys like King Dunlap, Derek Barnett, CJ Sanders, Jalen Ramsey, Ryan Carruthers, Brandon Adams, and the long list of current and former D1 explosive athletes, are likely over for BA, at least for the foreseeable future. This started right before Ralph Potter left, but really ramped up when Coach Ab and Coach Pittman left the school, and the team is just now feeling the affects of this as it takes several seasons before these effects hit. The great teams BA had from 2015-2018 and even before that were essentially guys that came in from the UNA/Brentwood Blaze pipeline and mostly mix of working class families and wealthy families. BA recently has started to stray away from that among other things, and has led to things such as losing to CPA and Briarcrest, as well as not making playoffs in 2019. None of those things were even a possibility in previous years at the school simply due to the talent level alone on the team and other things. Also, imo Buck is not having that much of an effect on where these kids go. They want to play for a winning team and get exposure and not have to pay a lot of $$ for it, so they go to mainly public schools now or D2AA instead of D2AAA. I know for a fact that there were a few guys that were former BA players in last few years that went to NPA for training and Buck did not help any of them get offers, because they got them on their own. Private school coaches honestly do not care about things like NPA as they have a lot of things on their plate to deal with just at their own school, let alone a personal trainer

Interesting…I was around watching BA pick off all that talent out of Murfreesboro and the UNA Antioch programs back in the 90s, using local “talent influencers” (certainly not called recruiters) when everyone played in the same public (non recruiting) school league. I find it extremely ironic that the school who single handedly created the need for a private school division is now struggling athletically. 

It hasn’t been that long ago since Cody was complaining in the papers that no one locally would play them and now he is avoiding local teams he knows he will lose to.  The old saying, what goes around, comes around, truly applies here.  BA getting everything they deserve! 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, fb247 said:

Please use a better example for a coach that Dilfer. He is not all you think. Offer him some serious money and father Ryan can have him. As for me I will take a coach McCadams anyday and I am sure many real Lipscomb fans would also. Dilfer is buying a program with recruits and coach mac built a program with class. Lipscomb has no class now and that starts at the head man. He has to be the focal point of the program.    Games are won with leadership, sweat equity along with really hard work and that starts at the very top and Dilfer is none of these.

Gotta set the record a little straight with some real facts. Between MichaelMyers, you and a few others that think they know so much about LA football and Dilfer you guys need to get a little closer to the facts as you are embarrassing yourself.  For the record, all of my kids attended and graduated LA.  I had a son who played for Coach Mac and Tillman and I’ve remained very close to the program.  Also for the record, I really miss the days when you took your players who were at your school from Kindergarten and you line up and play football.  Coach Mac was the best at that!  He wanted to take our kids and win.  BUT, if you know your facts, in his last few years of coaching, he wasn’t having the success with the same recipe.  He used to beat teams like CPA who clearly had more talent, but as their talent pools continued to grow, LA wasn’t able to compete any longer. Tillman took over and things got worse as the only recipe he knew was the one handed down from Mac. Moving into the private school division was a tough transition for LA as they had no talent and had no idea how to market their program to attract student athletes as it wasn’t in our DNA.   Fast forward through a series of events and Dilfer becomes the new head coach at LA.

1.  Agree he had and still has a lot to learn as a HS football coach and is learning how to deal with HS age players vs NFL age players.  I’ve seen a major change in the last 3 years. 
2. Agree he carries himself with a lot of confidence bordering on arrogance as he had to be that guy in the NFL.   He’s certainly not the only local HS coach that is overly confident. 
3.  All said tho, he has done things that Mac and Tillman would never been able to pull off in today’s HS football environment.  Contrary to what you guys are saying, parents are very happy. MichaelMeyers, I’m sure you have a disgruntled friend that shares some slanted info with you but I guarantee you they don’t speak for the majority. Sure there’s a few parents disgruntled because Johnny isn’t getting playing time…what private school program doesn’t deal with that.   Go criticize them! 
4. Agree Dilfer was out coached in the State championship game last year.  He even admits  he made a lot of mistakes.  So what?  Every coach who has coached has gotten out coached.  I would argue Kiffin out coached Sabin last year as Ole Miss almost beat AL where Sabin had no answer for their offense.  Sabin eventually won due to the vast talent gap but he clearly got out coached.  Who cares?  
5.  More students who have been at Lipscomb for a long time start/play than you think.  Off the top of my head I can think of at least 15 kids that start and/or play meaningful minutes
6. Dilfer raises most of the needed funds for the football budget and it’s still smaller than MBA, Ensworth, BA and CPAs.  Before Dilfer, our team was playing with annual refurbished helmets that were 15-20 years old as we had very little budget dollars to spend thanks to the University’s budget constraints.  That’s changing but he is having to work hard to make up the financial deficit. 
7. The out of town players were not recruited. That’s laughable.  You’re giving Dilfer too much credit if you  think he is really convincing the arbitrary family to pick up roots, sell their homes and move th Nashville to play HS football at LA.  Most are at LA because their local HS football programs shut down due to Covid and kids were looking for a school to attend and play last year and this year. Dilfer’s name attracted them but he 100% didn’t recruit them.  The others were two coaches sons who came because they wanted to coach with Trent as they are all long time friends. 
8.  Most of the new players are not on any financial aid. There are some on financial aid for sure, but that number is much smaller than you think. 
9.  Whether a  player comes from Michigan or California vs Greenbrier TN  or Murfreesboro, TN, I don’t understand the difference or your concern. Please explain!  
10.  Dilfer has coached 2 full seasons and you are criticizing him because he didn’t beat CPA in the state championship of his second year after taking over a program that only won 3 games in the past two seasons. Really?  How about being impressed how quickly he’s been able to turn it around?  
11.  24/7 mentioned he doesn’t show great leadership and he doesn’t work hard.  I’ve never seen a group of boys buy in to a program so quickly.  And I can confirm his teams are working harder physically and mentally than any team Mac or Tillman ever had. I can also say that Dilfer puts more time into this team than any coach I’ve ever seen.  I have no complaints of his leadership or work ethic. 
12.  As for the on-side kick when up 21-0. I have no idea why he made that decision but I have no problem with it and I think it’s a real stretch for you to complain about it.  The game isn’t out of hand at that point and he was looking to put it away quickly.  Would you have blamed FRA for on side kicking when down 21-0 or would you have criticized Dilfer for letting a team come back from a 21-0 deficit because he took the foot off the gas?  I’m betting you would!  
13.   Dilfer will be around next year.  He’s invested too much into this program and he loves it. 

Those are the real facts!  Trent is doing a great job at LA  and most of the parents appreciate what he’s doing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LetsGoToWork said:

Gotta set the record a little straight with some real facts. Between MichaelMyers, you and a few others that think they know so much about LA football and Dilfer you guys need to get a little closer to the facts as you are embarrassing yourself.  For the record, all of my kids attended and graduated LA.  I had a son who played for Coach Mac and Tillman and I’ve remained very close to the program.  Also for the record, I really miss the days when you took your players who were at your school from Kindergarten and you line up and play football.  Coach Mac was the best at that!  He wanted to take our kids and win.  BUT, if you know your facts, in his last few years of coaching, he wasn’t having the success with the same recipe.  He used to beat teams like CPA who clearly had more talent, but as their talent pools continued to grow, LA wasn’t able to compete any longer. Tillman took over and things got worse as the only recipe he knew was the one handed down from Mac. Moving into the private school division was a tough transition for LA as they had no talent and had no idea how to market their program to attract student athletes as it wasn’t in our DNA.   Fast forward through a series of events and Dilfer becomes the new head coach at LA.

1.  Agree he had and still has a lot to learn as a HS football coach and is learning how to deal with HS age players vs NFL age players.  I’ve seen a major change in the last 3 years. 
2. Agree he carries himself with a lot of confidence bordering on arrogance as he had to be that guy in the NFL.   He’s certainly not the only local HS coach that is overly confident. 
3.  All said tho, he has done things that Mac and Tillman would never been able to pull off in today’s HS football environment.  Contrary to what you guys are saying, parents are very happy. MichaelMeyers, I’m sure you have a disgruntled friend that shares some slanted info with you but I guarantee you they don’t speak for the majority. Sure there’s a few parents disgruntled because Johnny isn’t getting playing time…what private school program doesn’t deal with that.   Go criticize them! 
4. Agree Dilfer was out coached in the State championship game last year.  He even admits  he made a lot of mistakes.  So what?  Every coach who has coached has gotten out coached.  I would argue Kiffin out coached Sabin last year as Ole Miss almost beat AL where Sabin had no answer for their offense.  Sabin eventually won due to the vast talent gap but he clearly got out coached.  Who cares?  
5.  More students who have been at Lipscomb for a long time start/play than you think.  Off the top of my head I can think of at least 15 kids that start and/or play meaningful minutes
6. Dilfer raises most of the needed funds for the football budget and it’s still smaller than MBA, Ensworth, BA and CPAs.  Before Dilfer, our team was playing with annual refurbished helmets that were 15-20 years old as we had very little budget dollars to spend thanks to the University’s budget constraints.  That’s changing but he is having to work hard to make up the financial deficit. 
7. The out of town players were not recruited. That’s laughable.  You’re giving Dilfer too much credit if you  think he is really convincing the arbitrary family to pick up roots, sell their homes and move th Nashville to play HS football at LA.  Most are at LA because their local HS football programs shut down due to Covid and kids were looking for a school to attend and play last year and this year. Dilfer’s name attracted them but he 100% didn’t recruit them.  The others were two coaches sons who came because they wanted to coach with Trent as they are all long time friends. 
8.  Most of the new players are not on any financial aid. There are some on financial aid for sure, but that number is much smaller than you think. 
9.  Whether a  player comes from Michigan or California vs Greenbrier TN  or Murfreesboro, TN, I don’t understand the difference or your concern. Please explain!  
10.  Dilfer has coached 2 full seasons and you are criticizing him because he didn’t beat CPA in the state championship of his second year after taking over a program that only won 3 games in the past two seasons. Really?  How about being impressed how quickly he’s been able to turn it around?  
11.  24/7 mentioned he doesn’t show great leadership and he doesn’t work hard.  I’ve never seen a group of boys buy in to a program so quickly.  And I can confirm his teams are working harder physically and mentally than any team Mac or Tillman ever had. I can also say that Dilfer puts more time into this team than any coach I’ve ever seen.  I have no complaints of his leadership or work ethic. 
12.  As for the on-side kick when up 21-0. I have no idea why he made that decision but I have no problem with it and I think it’s a real stretch for you to complain about it.  The game isn’t out of hand at that point and he was looking to put it away quickly.  Would you have blamed FRA for on side kicking when down 21-0 or would you have criticized Dilfer for letting a team come back from a 21-0 deficit because he took the foot off the gas?  I’m betting you would!  
13.   Dilfer will be around next year.  He’s invested too much into this program and he loves it. 

Those are the real facts!  Trent is doing a great job at LA  and most of the parents appreciate what he’s doing. 

AMEN!  Can't like this post enough.....Appreciate you taking the time to write this.  I agree with everything you stated.  Sadly, it's a lost cause.....haters gonna hate.

10 hours ago, LetsGoToWork said:

Interesting…I was around watching BA pick off all that talent out of Murfreesboro and the UNA Antioch programs back in the 90s, using local “talent influencers” (certainly not called recruiters) when everyone played in the same public (non recruiting) school league. I find it extremely ironic that the school who single handedly created the need for a private school division is now struggling athletically. 

It hasn’t been that long ago since Cody was complaining in the papers that no one locally would play them and now he is avoiding local teams he knows he will lose to.  The old saying, what goes around, comes around, truly applies here.  BA getting everything they deserve! 

As much as I want you to be right, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say BA is struggling athletically.  They were the runner up in basketball last year and lost in a pretty shocking upset to MBA in the championship game.  They have everyone back on that team and I assume they will be huge favorites to win the title.  Football for this season isn't up to their normal standard but I would need to see several years in a row like this before I believe they are really down.

One thing I will say...seems like playing against them over the years--7th, 8th, 9th and varsity, the numbers that are on those teams seem way down, at least from what you would expect at BA.  That looked like as small a varsity team I have seen BA field in the 30+ years I have been closely watching them.

11 hours ago, LetsGoToWork said:

I can promise you that Cody certainly does not avoid playing anyone, even with a down team. Believe it or not the majority of families who move from other areas to go BA and that play sports come to BA on their own, BA does not go to them. I know this is the case for several players in the past. Any school within D2AAA and formerly D2AA, in a sense always "picks off" talent. Ensworth did it in Nashville and Murfreesboro for years, Baylor and McCallie do it in North Georgia/Atlanta area, and CBHS and MUS do it in NE Arkansas and North Memphis area. Even public schools do this, it is not just a private school phenomenon.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:15 PM, Ballfan4562 said:

Bummer. That’s the one thing that has been hampering Ensworth so far this season. Injuries. Hayden plays extremely tough and is in on just about every play. They are happy to have him there. 

Hayden was at Ensworth as a freshman so he's not a transfer that just came this year.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:27 AM, LetsGoToWork said:

Thank you for the well written and honest insight.  But this isn't necessary for most as it is very easy to see that MichaelMyers has serious issues with insane jealousy over what your program is doing. I've never seen a poster pick on a program harder. Thou doth protest too much.  It is personal with him and anyone without his bias can read through his rumors and ramblings very easily. I think what LA has accomplished in 2.5 seasons is astounding. ABSOLUTELY NO way it happens without bought in kids and crazy hard work. Simply impossible.