New Girls Weight Classes

cougars130

Question

1. Who voted for the new weight classes 

why not keep the same weight classes and just add a new weight class (180)  so the girls who weigh 170 last season dont have to struggle to get down to 165 and also don't get stuck wrestling someone weighing 185. you find more girls to wrestle when you give that 180 weight class. if they weigh 189 that puts them at the new weight class of 235 yet the lower weight classes have a 7 pound gap for example 100-107, 107- 114 114-120. Adding 180 as a weight class would have helped the girls growth in TN.

Am i the only person who thinks its an issue?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, cougars130 said:

Question

1. Who voted for the new weight classes 

why not keep the same weight classes and just add a new weight class (180)  so the girls who weigh 170 last season dont have to struggle to get down to 165 and also don't get stuck wrestling someone weighing 185. you find more girls to wrestle when you give that 180 weight class. if they weigh 189 that puts them at the new weight class of 235 yet the lower weight classes have a 7 pound gap for example 100-107, 107- 114 114-120. Adding 180 as a weight class would have helped the girls growth in TN.

Am i the only person who thinks its an issue?

I think they're fine, you work with what you have.

49 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

I think they're fine, you work with what you have.

if thats your answer then why even have the change in the first place? " work with what you have" translates to work with what you are given.

would it work for the boys to wrestle 165 then 185 then 235 4 weight classes are allowed between 160 - 220 yet there are only 3 weight classes for the girls with huge gaps in weight where many girls will fall between where as there was only 1 weight class last year with a huge gap 160- 180 a simple addition of 170 would have helped many.

2 hours ago, cougars130 said:

if thats your answer then why even have the change in the first place? " work with what you have" translates to work with what you are given.

would it work for the boys to wrestle 165 then 185 then 235 4 weight classes are allowed between 160 - 220 yet there are only 3 weight classes for the girls with huge gaps in weight where many girls will fall between where as there was only 1 weight class last year with a huge gap 160- 180 a simple addition of 170 would have helped many.

Weights change all the time, but I doubt that a girl who weighed 170 last season would have too many issues getting to 165 this year. I'm not even sure who is involved in making the changes but as long as we have a healthy and complete season I could care less.

4 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Weights change all the time, but I doubt that a girl who weighed 170 last season would have too many issues getting to 165 this year. I'm not even sure who is involved in making the changes but as long as we have a healthy and complete season I could care less.

exactly you could care less so why respond. you cant answer my question. I'm curious to know if the program you follow even offers a girls program. 

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

Yes we do.

Go ask the girls that are wrestling in this weight gap how they feel about it. either they have to watch their weight all year or wrestle someone 20 - 50 pounds more then they do. where a simple addition of a weight class could have helped them and girls wrestling as a whole. for the weight class to change from 103 to 100 is 3 pounds but to change 170 to 165 - 185 that's a 20 pounds gap.

Make it make sense.

Go ask the girls that are wrestling in this weight gap how they feel about it. either they have to watch their weight all year or wrestle someone 20 - 50 pounds more then they do. where a simple addition of a weight class could have helped them and girls wrestling as a whole. for the weight class to change from 103 to 100 is 3 pounds but to change 170 to 165 - 185 that's a 20 pounds gap.

Make it make sense.

I get your argument, but it is what it is. My guess was they looked at the weight class participation numbers from last year to make their decision. Not having a 170 weight class will hurt us some but you work with what you can. 

2 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

I get your argument, but it is what it is. My guess was they looked at the weight class participation numbers from last year to make their decision. Not having a 170 weight class will hurt us some but you work with what you can. 

and my question is who is this mysterious (they) you speak of and weight class participation there were alot of girls wrestling in the 170  190 weight classes the problem is there were alot of girls who could not get down to 170 but were not 189 either so if they made a 180 weight class it would have helped those girls out 177- 184 had an option to pick. 

and my question is who is this mysterious (they) you speak of and weight class participation there were alot of girls wrestling in the 170  190 weight classes the problem is there were alot of girls who could not get down to 170 but were not 189 either so if they made a 180 weight class it would have helped those girls out 177- 184 had an option to pick. 

If  you're a coach you should have received this email. It's pretty self explanatory...

Wrestling Coaches (Boys and Girls),

Change to Girls Wrestling Weight Classes

Many of you are already aware of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee’s decision to allow the state association to adopt  a 12, 13, or 14 weight class option that best suits the needs of TSSAA beginning with the 2023-2024 school year. 

Since the NFHS does not currently have standardized Girls Wrestling weight classes we have always had the flexibility to adopt our own in Tennessee.  In anticipation of the upcoming standardization of the Girls weight classes by the NFHS, TSSAA will be adopting the NFHS 12 weight class option for girls during the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.  The 12 weight classes for Girls Wrestling this season will be as follows:

100, 107, 114, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 165, 185, 235

This 12 weight class option will be evaluated at the conclusion of each year in anticipation of the 2023-2024 school year.  

Update on Boys Wrestling Weight Classes

Since TSSAA Constitution and Bylaws require that all sports abide by current NFHS rules, there is no opportunity for weight classes to change for boys this school year.  The decision on how many weight classes to adopt for the 2023-2024 school year will be discussed at this year’s TSSAA online wrestling rules meetings.

Mark Reeves
Email: mreeves@tssaa.org
Phone: 615-889-6740
TSSAA.org · TSSAAsports.com · TSSAA Portal

Edited by JSamson7

2 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

If  you're a coach you should have received this email. It's pretty self explanatory...

Wrestling Coaches (Boys and Girls),

Change to Girls Wrestling Weight Classes

Many of you are already aware of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee’s decision to allow the state association to adopt  a 12, 13, or 14 weight class option that best suits the needs of TSSAA beginning with the 2023-2024 school year. 

Since the NFHS does not currently have standardized Girls Wrestling weight classes we have always had the flexibility to adopt our own in Tennessee.  In anticipation of the upcoming standardization of the Girls weight classes by the NFHS, TSSAA will be adopting the NFHS 12 weight class option for girls during the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.  The 12 weight classes for Girls Wrestling this season will be as follows:

100, 107, 114, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 165, 185, 235

This 12 weight class option will be evaluated at the conclusion of each year in anticipation of the 2023-2024 school year.  

Update on Boys Wrestling Weight Classes

Since TSSAA Constitution and Bylaws require that all sports abide by current NFHS rules, there is no opportunity for weight classes to change for boys this school year.  The decision on how many weight classes to adopt for the 2023-2024 school year will be discussed at this year’s TSSAA online wrestling rules meetings.

Mark Reeves
Email: mreeves@tssaa.org
Phone: 615-889-6740
TSSAA.org · TSSAAsports.com · TSSAA Portal

not sure what this shows other then what i already know. so just mark reeves chose the weight classes for this year and they will change again next year and then possibly change again the 23-24 season?

10 hours ago, cougars130 said:

not sure what this shows other then what i already know. so just mark reeves chose the weight classes for this year and they will change again next year and then possibly change again the 23-24 season?

I'm not sure who made the weight classes, but it's not that big of a deal. Like I said earlier, the classes change from time to time and as a program you have to adjust.