Why does Smith County football suck now?

owlman1967

As someone that is not from the area but keeps up with high school ball across the state, why have they fallen off so bad within the last few years/decade? For years smith co was always a tough team to beat and a tough place to play especially the decade from 2002-2012. Even in the mid to late 1990s they were good and even before that. As of late though, their teams have been very subpar, players on team are down, attendance is down from what I have heard, overall support in the community for the team seems to be down from what I have heard, and the talent level is dramatically down from years past.  I get in small towns talent comes in cycles but it just seems like its getting worse not better for smith county, especially with the last really solid team being in 2017. If the fans or people from the area can clue me in I am just curious because when they were good they always were a fun team to watch.

45 minutes ago, owlman1967 said:

As someone that is not from the area but keeps up with high school ball across the state, why have they fallen off so bad within the last few years/decade? For years smith co was always a tough team to beat and a tough place to play especially the decade from 2002-2012. Even in the mid to late 1990s they were good and even before that. As of late though, their teams have been very subpar, players on team are down, attendance is down from what I have heard, overall support in the community for the team seems to be down from what I have heard, and the talent level is dramatically down from years past.  I get in small towns talent comes in cycles but it just seems like its getting worse not better for smith county, especially with the last really solid team being in 2017. If the fans or people from the area can clue me in I am just curious because when they were good they always were a fun team to watch.

We have went through much of the same at westmoreland 

It takes a lot to have a successful HS program.....  good coaching, community support, parental support, student body support, etc.      Other things factor in too, for example Boone has a lot of guys who are committed to basketball or baseball and won't play football... can't say that I blame a guy who has a chance to go to college on scholarship in another sport, don't want to risk an injury in a sport (football) that doesn't matter.     I know nothing specifically about Smith Co but my guess is some of the things listed above are going on.

It takes a lot to have a successful HS program.....  good coaching, community support, parental support, student body support, etc.      Other things factor in too, for example Boone has a lot of guys who are committed to basketball or baseball and won't play football... can't say that I blame a guy who has a chance to go to college on scholarship in another sport, don't want to risk an injury in a sport (football) that doesn't matter.     I know nothing specifically about Smith Co but my guess is some of the things listed above are going on.

Wal-Mart started selling kayaks and it has made it easier to get to the other side of the river. lol Carthage will be fine. It looks like they have some skill players in 8th grade to go with a decent size line. It will be interesting to see if the new region they are in is a blessing or a curse. 

Edited by Speeding2Live

Went from 85 dressed to little over 40 dressed. Partly coaching, partly priority like it once was. Through in politics, bad parents and spoiled kids.  Not as many kids  play football now. Thats everywhere.. Not a right of passage to play like it once was. With smaller numbers, best athlete on the field favors his team more and more. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Went from 85 dressed to little over 40 dressed. Partly coaching, partly priority like it once was. Through in politics, bad parents and spoiled kids.  Not as many kids  play football now. Thats everywhere.. Not a right of passage to play like it once was. With smaller numbers, best athlete on the field favors his team more and more. 

Loss of principal/coach Maynard 

14 hours ago, Mr. Postman1 said:

Wow! This coming from a Macon fan?  Home of the $3000 envelope to get my sona position. Lol

YOU have no ground to stand on, if this is so ,it's working. AGain u LOSE. nOT JUST ONCE BUT TWICE and gonna be 3 times. Go back to your little pea gravel pile and stutter on the radio. bye bye