Top 6A takes on top DivII-AA when Oakland Host Lipscomb Academy

Blaze45

On 9/15/2021 at 9:41 PM, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

I've seen a lot of folks on this thread post that Oakland would either have a running clock or win by 3 or 4 touchdowns.  They either think Lipscomb won't be able to score against the Oakland D or it will be a high scoring game with Oakland scoring 21-28 more points.

Can we get more specific?  Any score predictions?

35-14 Oakland.  But then again, what the heck i know.  

I would expect that the LA QB hasn't faced a lot of pressure so far this season.  Thursday he will get plenty and often I would assume.  The LA QB is obviously a very talented player and there are others on that offense as well.  In my opinion the only way for LA to win is in a shootout.  Oakland has a ground game better than most schools  if not all schools in Tennessee.  They will get their points.  Slow and methodical.  Control the pace of play.  Best way to shut down the LA QB?  Keep him off the field by clock control.  Limit his opportunities.  This is basically the way Oakland has played for the entire Creasy tenure.  

Obviously I  want Oakland to win but really looking forward to just seeing some good competitive big boy high school football with lots of D1 talent on both teams.  

4 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

So yes, I would assume he has lots of connections in the football world.  Don't know how long he has had this business but hope he does well with it.  I was just trying to find out who he was and what kind of credentials he has.  Sounds legit.  

Oh he does. Connections with great talent, college coaches and high school coaches. And most parts of it can be "legit". Anyway looking forward to seeing Buck's recruits against Dilfer's recruits.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, TTate said:

Yea…I’m curious about this as well.  The reality is that there are very few people who have seen both teams play.  All of these predictions are based on history…what we know about Oakland and what we assume about LA.  The only folks that have seen/analyzed both are probably media.  Be prepared to be shocked when you see score predictions coming out next week…much closer than you may think.

2 of 3 Tennessean writers predicted Oakland….in very close games…Kreager just went with LA 28-21

These are folks that have seen both teams play…unlike all of us :)

I’m not ready to predict an LA win yet…but will stick to my prediction of a great game and definitely no running clock

i think the score will be 34-28..could go either way.

44 minutes ago, TTate said:

Hey T…tell me about parking at Oakland…have a feeling this game will have a crazy crowd..is there parking close by?

I would suggest getting there 6pm if you want something really close around the school.   Handicap parking right next to the gates.   I volunteer on GameDays going on 6 years now and they let me park in the media/refs etc and I'm usually there by 5:45 or so.  

• Like 1

Someone asked what are Oakland's strengths, so here's my observations.  I don't think that they are all that big, but their team speed is ridiculous, especially on defense.  If you run straight at them, you can move the ball a bit, get a few first downs.  You might even finish the game with more first downs than Oakland.  But all those 1st downs are between the 20's.  You're going to have to drive 80 yards every time, and very few teams are able to do that.  Big holes close so fast because of their team speed. If you want to beat Oakland, you're going to have to break off some long runs/pass completions. They're very disciplined and well coached.  So there won't be a lot of penalties, and they always seem to be in the right place.  If you throw a lot of passes, we are going to intercept some of them.

On offense, Oakland will score just about every time they get the ball, so you will have to keep up.  They have some great backs and all of them are capable of taking it to the house from anywhere on the field.  Oakland will run all day long if you let them, but they can throw effectively when they need to.  Our QB is new this year and has gotten better every game.  I'm not convinced that he can throw it deep, but is very good at completing 10-15 yarders and moving the chains.  Horton is a world class receiver, but is not afraid to block.

I'm a homer, so my  prediction is Oakland by 14. Lets say 28-14.    If I'm wrong, and we lose this game, then I'll be bummed out about it, but I'll be glad to have had a game against better competition.  It will only make us stronger.

So, now someone from LA, please share what we can expect from your team.  What are the strengths and weaknesses? What or who should we look for?

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:13 PM, Red Rebels said:

I-Dont-Know-What-This-Means-Red-Rebels.pDoes this mean David Lipscomb wins 60-18?

8 minutes ago, FridayFootballFan said:

Food for thought to help you make your prediction

Oakland 31 - 13 over Madison Ridge Academy (MRA)

Pulaski Academy 63-39 over MRA

Lipscomb Academy 64-28 over Pulaski Academy

so, I think LA can score, but I will say Oakland by 7

I'm way ahead of you (with graphics), FFF.