Top 6A takes on top DivII-AA when Oakland Host Lipscomb Academy

Blaze45

45 minutes ago, TCRadio said:

I’m just basing this off videos posted on Twitter, but Oakland’s o-line got plenty of push when it mattered, on the score and 2 pt play, and also on the QB sneak

You are right.  When it matter the Patriots got it done!  First quarter though, Oakland only got 91 yards compared to Lipscomb's 207 yards.  That was mainly because Lipscomb's line was so big and athletic.  Lot of D1 talent

10 hours ago, Greendevil87 said:

Why did Oakland just not go victory formation first and goal from the Two. Lipscomb was out of timeouts. They would have never got the ball back the touchdown and pat kept it a one position game and gave Lipscomb the ball with a minute and a half left crazy decision

Agreed.  Maybe they thought an 8 point win looks better in national polls?

10 hours ago, arshad221 said:

It was 21-7 going into the 3rd Oakland was getting cooked and the stadium was quiet up until Jordan big run. Trent had a good game plan keeping that ball away from them. Too many busted plays and flags costed them the game. Like I said Lipscomb had the pieces. I just want to see how Oakland looks when Hewitt has to actually pass when Oakland can’t run.

Sounds like an awesome game between 2 awesome teams from this outsider.

Question So if Oakland was getting 'smoked' 21-7 going into the 3rd,,,, did LA get 'smoked' 0-22 the rest of the game? Nice how you determine when the 'smokin' starts and stops. Also sorry - Kevin38 is not coach -ha- is a Springfield guy and has been for years. He is a knowledgeable football guy that contributes to these forums.

Sounds like LA had a great game plan (and talent) with ball control, but just needed to convert one more drive to points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigRedRealist said:

Sounds like an awesome game between 2 awesome teams from this outsider.

Question So if Oakland was getting 'smoked' 21-7 going into the 3rd,,,, did LA get 'smoked' 0-22 the rest of the game? Nice how you determine when the 'smokin' starts and stops. Also sorry - Kevin38 is not coach -ha- is a Springfield guy and has been for years. He is a knowledgeable football guy that contributes to these forums.

Sounds like LA had a great game plan (and talent) with ball control, but just needed to convert one more drive to points.

The refs definitely smoked LA shout out to the ref at the end of the game getting Oakland crowd hype lifting his arms up 

You would be hard pressed to say a 10 game series between these 2 teams would be far removed from a 5-5 or 4-6 split. Very evenly matched talent wise. I was glad to be able to watch such a great High School Football game.

Pivotal moments that defined the caliber of game it was from my perspective

1. LA opening drive setting the tone early, smash mouth football (for a spread team at least)

2. Oakland defense rising to the occasion at the goal line after a costly fumble on the ensuing kickoff, very gritty & hard nosed

3. Oakland defense reaping the fruits of their labor and getting pressure to get the scoop and score, relentless aggression

4. LA's almost quarter long drive to show they can play ball control with their spread attack offense, quite impressive imho 

5. A little luck on a play that was poised to go nowhere and a couple of good athletes making a play to go up 14

6. A star being a star on a 75 yard house call, great individual effort and athleticism

7. Defensive halftime adjustment to keep LA bottled up in the 2nd half, Coaching Kudos right there

8. Lack of Offensive halftime adjustment, LA became predictable as game wore on & Oakland defense smelled blood

9. The pass interference call on the go ahead drive for Oakland, way to make the most of situational football

10. The absolute intestinal fortitude of Oakland to win it on the 2 pt. conversion. Straight gumption right there!

11. The desire of the LA offense to give themselves a chance at the 2 yard line with seconds to go.

12. The tenacity and the determination of Oakland defense to define the moment and finish the job, well done

13. In the end, a great exhibition of 2 of the best in TNHSFB, good show LA & Oakland, good show

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, arshad221 said:

The refs definitely smoked LA shout out to the ref at the end of the game getting Oakland crowd hype lifting his arms up 

LA had many opportunities to win the game.   First and goal inside the 5 twice and zero points?  3 timeouts wasted during the game because the play clock was running out?  Two of those in the second half.   Would have helped to have those on the final drive.   Not able to stop the 2 pt conversion.   Should have punted instead of the very bad field goal attempt that was blocked.   Even if it wasn't blocked it was very low percentage of making a 45 yarder.  All those yards LA racked up was great until it got to crossing the goal line in the second half. 

Lol...to suggest a ref was trying to hype a crowd is one of the more outrageous claims I've heard.  Crowd didn't need any help getting pumped late in the game.   Were they the best officiating crew I've seen over the last 6 years I've been in the press box working?  Absolutely not.  Weren't the worst either.   Lots of times if the remote for the clock isn't working I will have an official setting next to me in the box running the clock.   They don't give a rat's rear end who wins a game.  They are trying to do their jobs well and go home.   My understanding is that the head of officials for their association was there last night so they were definitely trying to mind their business.   Calls were made both ways that I didn't necessarily agree with.   

LA could have won. They didn't.   Oakland offense, defense, and special teams rose to the occasion and made the plays when it counted.   They did exactly what they were supposed to do.   They took what was theirs.   

32 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Should have punted instead of the very bad field goal attempt that was blocked.   Even if it wasn't blocked it was very low percentage of making a 45 yarder. 

As long as the FG attempt reaches the end zone in the air, it is basically as good as a punt. The other team gets the ball on the 20. Plus, you have the shot a 3 points. No way to predict it would be blocked. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

As long as the FG attempt reaches the end zone in the air, it is basically as good as a punt. The other team gets the ball on the 20. Plus, you have the shot a 3 points. No way to predict it would be blocked. 

Thanks BreadTruck28, I wasn't aware of that.   I incorrectly assumed it was like the pros and a missed attempt would be placed at the spot of the kick. Makes sense now.   I get it.