Sectionals added To State tournament

WrestlinFan

11 hours ago, CoachKramer said:

I personally like it.  At state last year every match had a pretty tough kid in it and it made watching more enjoyable to me.  

I think this way it means more to be a state qualifier.  i see a lot of comments about teams not getting any state qualifiers,  my advice is work harder and up your game - like start and get involved in a youth club, help out with the middle school team, bring in clinicians to work with your kids, make it exciting when you have home matches, for example we run out to music and wrestle under a spotlight, kids go to the mat to their own walk out song and we throw t-shirts to the crowd with each pin and make sure you have a special seating area for club and middle school kids so they can get close to the action. When i came to WCHS the program was really bad and then they moved us to region 5 and i was told not to expect to get anyone to state any time soon and my comment back was we just need to up our game and we did and became pretty competitive.

i truly believe this will make wrestling better in Tennessee and not worse 

very well said. couldn’t agree more. this will make it more competitive, and give “state qualifier”, more prestige. 

11 hours ago, Bump11 said:

very well said. couldn’t agree more. this will make it more competitive, and give “state qualifier”, more prestige. 

Why don't we just have the top eight go to state then?   Or maybe the top four? 

Stands to reason that would make it super competitive and even more prestigious.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, mat73557 said:

Why don't we just have the top eight go to state then?   Or maybe the top four? 

Stands to reason that would make it super competitive and even more prestigious.

You probably don’t want to hear this but back when everyone competed against each other (public & private) for one individual state championship every round of the 16 man bracket was though.  The eventual state champion would normally win in the round of 16 by 4 or 5 points.  The 1/4 round he would win by 2 or 3 and both the semi finals and finals would be nail bitters.  The competition was so tough that you had very few 3X and 4X state champions.  

• Upvote 1

I would like to see us grow the Sport and Opportunities not limit the numbers.

Heck let each level have their own state tournaments and does not have to be at  the same location.

If you are going to drop the number of participants them make the Site to be on a College Campus that has wrestling we now have 4 Colleges with Programs.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PUMMELKING said:

I would like to see us grow the Sport and Opportunities not limit the numbers.

Heck let each level have their own state tournaments and does not have to be at  the same location.

If you are going to drop the number of participants them make the Site to be on a College Campus that has wrestling we now have 4 Colleges with Programs.

I have been told that the D2 individual state wrestling tournament will be held on the campus of Montgomery Bell Academy.  I can assure you that the facilities at MBA are better than those at most colleges

On 9/27/2021 at 6:00 PM, cbg said:

I have been told that the D2 individual state wrestling tournament will be held on the campus of Montgomery Bell Academy.  I can assure you that the facilities at MBA are better than those at most colleges

I am not questions their Facilities.  I would just like for some kids to get the opportunity to go to a College Campus and see their Facilities and Hope a Wrestling Room.

Spark an interest to go and Wrestle for an In-State School.  

Also the College can get some free Recruiting by having it on their campus.