WEEK 7 - Oak Ridge vs Powell

CardinalGrey

19 hours ago, HTV said:

Not insinuating that Gaddis did anything wrong.  Perhaps there are questions, which is part of why he's not playing?  

It's happened at many schools before.  All the schools can go by is what parents/guardians tell them.  Sometimes school administrators and coaches are lied to, but that still doesn't make them innocent.  Got to do due diligence.  

I hope I didn't come off sounding too defensive I know you weren't attacking Gaddis. You seem to know and like a lot of coaches.  That is cool. 

20 hours ago, HTV said:

Not insinuating that Gaddis did anything wrong.  Perhaps there are questions, which is part of why he's not playing?  

It's happened at many schools before.  All the schools can go by is what parents/guardians tell them.  Sometimes school administrators and coaches are lied to, but that still doesn't make them innocent.  Got to do due diligence.  

What was  the last game he played at his previous school?  If he didn't actually move, then he has to sit out one year from that time.  

1 minute ago, DCCATVOICE said:

Oak Ridge has always crossed their T's and dotted their I's when it came to TSSAA rules. The young man you are referring to isn't eligible yet and the reasons are personal to him and his family and not involving any improprieties by Oak Ridge. Hopefully we will see him playing at some point.

So he didn't actually move?

48 minutes ago, DCCATVOICE said:

No, he has moved but there are other issues involving his eligibility. The only reason I spoke up was that it is his personal family business and it should be dropped. I'm never about parading a kid on social media about things not in his control. Hopefully for him, he will be back on the field when he is able.  

Thanks for clearing it up.  And my intention wasn't to trash a kid in any way.  I simply felt like there was something there that was preventing his playing at this point.  

But, that said, we live in a different day with social media.  Kids get on and promote themselves and talk about who is recruiting them, where they are visiting, posting their highlight videos, and generally doing a "Look at Me" on a daily basis.  .  They have opened up discussion about themselves with their promotion of themselves.  Fairly or unfairly, that's what has happened.  

And that's one of the things that hasn't been a positive of social media.  Too much there to invite scrutiny these days.  

And personally, unless I know a kid very well and have a personal friendship with he or his parents, I don't follow high school or college kids on social media.  It just seems creepy to me for a grown adult to do that.  But maybe that's just me.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I don’t really see the big issue concerning their names, unless you’re singling them out in a negative sort of way. I mean, their names are said over the loudspeakers during the games, in the football programs, and all over the papers every week, not to mention the coaches show. I do agree with HTV’s point of view though about obsessively following kids’ Twitter accounts.

Edited by SweetScience

My name hasn't come up yet but it has in the past. I am not creepy. As a former teacher who has had to make the call on Parents concerning the issue of child abuse it is a very sensitive topic. The first time a child reached out to me about abuse, I told my principal what I was going to do, made the call then drove home. I do not remember driving home my mind was in such a mess. The responsibility of being a teacher can be overwhelming. So if I seem overly sensitive about the "CREEPY" word I do not apologize. 

Other than that, I am happy, all good.

21 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

My name hasn't come up yet but it has in the past. I am not creepy. As a former teacher who has had to make the call on Parents concerning the issue of child abuse it is a very sensitive topic. The first time a child reached out to me about abuse, I told my principal what I was going to do, made the call then drove home. I do not remember driving home my mind was in such a mess. The responsibility of being a teacher can be overwhelming. So if I seem overly sensitive about the "CREEPY" word I do not apologize. 

Other than that, I am happy, all good.

Wasn't pointing fingers, and I specifically said that "unless I personally know kids or parents" I find it creep, and I don't apologize for that, either.  As a teacher, you are in a position to know them.  No problem with that.