FORREST AT MARION 2021

GeneralForrest

Marion is a very strong team. Can they challenge for Gold? Absolutely. They have skill guys, a QB who can make plays with his legs and arm, and big dudes in the trenches. Well coached, sound, disciplined. Everything they do sets up something else. They ran ran ran then the over the top stuff was there. Other than the first TD, which I thought was pretty good coverage, Forrest let receivers run right past them. When Marion's running backs got to the edge, it was sayonara.   

They are an elite 2A program. They've been that for decades. Case closed. Congrats to them for pushing thru a couple of rebuilding years and being right back in the title hunt. 

What happened last night was what was supposed to happen. An elite team toyed with a mediocre team for half a quarter, then buried them before halftime. The onslaught continued in the 2nd half. I think it was 35-3 pretty early in the 3rd. At least it felt that way. 

Marion's backs routinely got to the 2nd and 3rd levels of the D. Forrest's barely made it past the line of scrimmage. 

@ClassPrideTradition97 Is a good and faithful poster. His post above, it is technically all true. Forrest, to me, is the best team in R5. They should beat Cascade in a close game, beat MTP by 2 scores, and beat Richland fairly easily. Whether they will remains to be seen. I also don't think ER is better than Forrest. So really, last night had no impact. Swift took a hard (legal) hit and was down for a sec, but popped up and came back in. So no injuries to speak of. But R5 is HORRIBLE. Might be the worst region in the last 10- years in any class in the state. 

The check engine light has been on with this program since the beginning of last season, and really before that if you want to look at close escapes at Summertown, Moore Co (was 14-14 in the 2nd half), and Lewis, plus a disastrous coaching performance against Riverside, all in 2019. 

We can ignore the check engine light, or we can lift the hood. Of course I am gonna lift it. 

- Eli is not the man for the job. He isn't personally cut out to work with children, or young adults.  He was berating kids for this and that, never mind that his game plan was a train wreck. Marion's 2 DT's weigh a combined 50 stone (700 lbs), so Eli ran right at them all night. Completely baffling. Clock management continues to be a clusterbiff. The possession before halftime resembled an "America's Funniest Home Video" once Forrest was at 1st and Goal. 

- One of Eli's biggest failures is his inability to recruit the best athletes in the building to even suit up. The result is a very thin team in terms of depth. The youth program is also to blame. The coaches play their own kids instead of the best kids, and the result is that many of the best athletes get frustrated and quit. This year's middle school team is a miracle given that dynamic. One wonders how many of these kids will even play for Forrest in high school.   

- The Forrest community has so much potential. Chapel Hill is growing LIKE CRAZY. But there are some old dinosaurs (Lions Club, duh, the blue hairs who are so stingy with their contributions unless every detail is controlled by them) who run the show. They ran off Johns, installed Eli, and are in obvious micromanaging control of the program as a whole. We've already discussed Dippold and Warner leaving for more successful programs, the latter right across the county (should NEVER happen). Imagine this team with both of them on it. Many of the best kids and their families see the plane crash that is the high school program ahead, and they choose to go elsewhere. Everyone knows this is all TRUTH. But they allow it. They scream from the stands in frustration, then shrug and go about their Stockholm Syndrome existence as Forrest fans. 

Was this game a bad idea? In hindsight, no. Taste of a real 2A program. Good experience for the kids. Playoff level competition. But the problem is, Forrest was competitive for about 5 minutes, 

The lone exception was Liam Bell. Marion was not ready for his footwork and vision. He is still growing as a player but he has superstar written all over him. Make him your guy and do it quickly.

Bennett was timid and overwhelmed by the moment. He just didn't have the experience for a game like this. It is what it is. Burchell is obviously hurt. Swift plays hard but he has taken a beating this year. Chris Davis has exceptional ability but seems to disappear in games if he isn't plugged into the offense early. I blame the coaches for all of this. They have no clue how to put kids in position to make winning plays. It's egregious. Criminal. 

At one point last night I saw Jacob Daughrity trying to get kids to lift their heads up. I thought to myself, "Why can't HE be the coach?" A terrific Forrest athlete, young and energetic. He's pushing 30 and could suit up now and dominate and we all know it.  The kids would respect him. There's no way they respect Eli. Are you listening Lion's Club? 

Forrest d held up well pretty early and I would say that is the most we have punted all year combined.  I think as the game went on the rockets got a little worn down by that big mc line leaning on em.  Marion had 421yards of offense and the rockets had 196.  Tae Hutchins led the way with 156 yards rushing and over 100 passing also.

14 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

Marion is a very strong team. Can they challenge for Gold? Absolutely. They have skill guys, a QB who can make plays with his legs and arm, and big dudes in the trenches. Well coached, sound, disciplined. Everything they do sets up something else. They ran ran ran then the over the top stuff was there. Other than the first TD, which I thought was pretty good coverage, Forrest let receivers run right past them. When Marion's running backs got to the edge, it was sayonara.   

They are an elite 2A program. They've been that for decades. Case closed. Congrats to them for pushing thru a couple of rebuilding years and being right back in the title hunt. 

What happened last night was what was supposed to happen. An elite team toyed with a mediocre team for half a quarter, then buried them before halftime. The onslaught continued in the 2nd half. I think it was 35-3 pretty early in the 3rd. At least it felt that way. 

Marion's backs routinely got to the 2nd and 3rd levels of the D. Forrest's barely made it past the line of scrimmage. 

@ClassPrideTradition97 Is a good and faithful poster. His post above, it is technically all true. Forrest, to me, is the best team in R5. They should beat Cascade in a close game, beat MTP by 2 scores, and beat Richland fairly easily. Whether they will remains to be seen. I also don't think ER is better than Forrest. So really, last night had no impact. Swift took a hard (legal) hit and was down for a sec, but popped up and came back in. So no injuries to speak of. But R5 is HORRIBLE. Might be the worst region in the last 10- years in any class in the state. 

The check engine light has been on with this program since the beginning of last season, and really before that if you want to look at close escapes at Summertown, Moore Co (was 14-14 in the 2nd half), and Lewis, plus a disastrous coaching performance against Riverside, all in 2019. 

We can ignore the check engine light, or we can lift the hood. Of course I am gonna lift it. 

- Eli is not the man for the job. He isn't personally cut out to work with children, or young adults.  He was berating kids for this and that, never mind that his game plan was a train wreck. Marion's 2 DT's weigh a combined 50 stone (700 lbs), so Eli ran right at them all night. Completely baffling. Clock management continues to be a clusterbiff. The possession before halftime resembled an "America's Funniest Home Video" once Forrest was at 1st and Goal. 

- One of Eli's biggest failures is his inability to recruit the best athletes in the building to even suit up. The result is a very thin team in terms of depth. The youth program is also to blame. The coaches play their own kids instead of the best kids, and the result is that many of the best athletes get frustrated and quit. This year's middle school team is a miracle given that dynamic. One wonders how many of these kids will even play for Forrest in high school.   

- The Forrest community has so much potential. Chapel Hill is growing LIKE CRAZY. But there are some old dinosaurs (Lions Club, duh, the blue hairs who are so stingy with their contributions unless every detail is controlled by them) who run the show. They ran off Johns, installed Eli, and are in obvious micromanaging control of the program as a whole. We've already discussed Dippold and Warner leaving for more successful programs, the latter right across the county (should NEVER happen). Imagine this team with both of them on it. Many of the best kids and their families see the plane crash that is the high school program ahead, and they choose to go elsewhere. Everyone knows this is all TRUTH. But they allow it. They scream from the stands in frustration, then shrug and go about their Stockholm Syndrome existence as Forrest fans. 

Was this game a bad idea? In hindsight, no. Taste of a real 2A program. Good experience for the kids. Playoff level competition. But the problem is, Forrest was competitive for about 5 minutes, 

The lone exception was Liam Bell. Marion was not ready for his footwork and vision. He is still growing as a player but he has superstar written all over him. Make him your guy and do it quickly.

Bennett was timid and overwhelmed by the moment. He just didn't have the experience for a game like this. It is what it is. Burchell is obviously hurt. Swift plays hard but he has taken a beating this year. Chris Davis has exceptional ability but seems to disappear in games if he isn't plugged into the offense early. I blame the coaches for all of this. They have no clue how to put kids in position to make winning plays. It's egregious. Criminal. 

At one point last night I saw Jacob Daughrity trying to get kids to lift their heads up. I thought to myself, "Why can't HE be the coach?" A terrific Forrest athlete, young and energetic. He's pushing 30 and could suit up now and dominate and we all know it.  The kids would respect him. There's no way they respect Eli. Are you listening Lion's Club? 

You have been saying this for years. I guess I kinda agree with your post. It definitely takes a coach that motivates and pulls in those skilled players. I bet there are some good athletes that play basketball or basketball at Forrest that don’t want any part of that football program and I also bet there are some just roaming the halls.

(WASTED TALENT)

That’s what got Waverly turned back around. Matt got the job and we went from like 1-10 to 9-3 for the season and that’s because he pulled in those other Athletes and Randal is doing the same. I wish y’all luck General I really do.

14 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

How would you compare this Marion team to those Meigs teams of the past two years? You think they can beat Meigs this year? Serious question.

17 minutes ago, vandyfan1 said:

You have been saying this for years. I guess I kinda agree with your post. It definitely takes a coach that motivates and pulls in those skilled players. I bet there are some good athletes that play basketball or basketball at Forrest that don’t want any part of that football program and I also bet there are some just roaming the halls.

(WASTED TALENT)

That’s what got Waverly turned back around. Matt got the job and we went from like 1-10 to 9-3 for the season and that’s because he pulled in those other Athletes and Randal is doing the same. I wish y’all luck General I really do.

That happens everywhere though.  Marion has some kids in the halls that could help tremendously, but for whatever reason don't.  As a coach, I always tried to tell the kids to play everything they could as long as their grades were in order.  Once high-school is over, all you have is regret otherwise.

2 minutes ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

That happens everywhere though.  Marion has some kids in the halls that could help tremendously, but for whatever reason don't.  As a coach, I always tried to tell the kids to play everything they could as long as their grades were in order.  Once high-school is over, all you have is regret otherwise.

I agree bud

1 hour ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

Yep I agree there except ours play baseball instead of basketball.  Also I agree with your last statement

6 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Yep I agree there except ours play baseball instead of basketball.  Also I agree with your last statement

Most of ours do also but there are a few basketball kids probably.  That's probably the difference in our areas though as we are football/baseball and they are basketball/baseball

7 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

How would you compare this Marion team to those Meigs teams of the past two years? You think they can beat Meigs this year? Serious question.

Yes I do. Does that mean they will? No. But they have enough up front to hang for sure. I still might give Meigs a slight advantage in the trenches. Slight. Marion's skill guys are legit. Too legit. Quarters for sure and I'll be surprised if they aren't in semis. Trousdale and Meigs will have something to say obviously. 3 top tier programs. Marion could go to Cookeville and win. I believe that. 

Forrest is a 3rd tier program. Top Tier is Trousdale, Meigs, Marion. 2nd Tier would be Watertown (has been top tier before), Waverly (has been top tier before), Lewis, Riverside. 3rd tier is us, and it really doesn't matter who else. We aren't good. We thought we were top tier in 16 and 19, but really we weren't. We were 2nd tier at best. 

It's a sad reality. The talent is there to be consistently 2nd tier. It shouldn't be an every 4-6 year thing. 

7 hours ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

As a coach, I always tried to tell the kids to play everything they could as long as their grades were in order.  Once high-school is over, all you have is regret otherwise.

Outstanding. Some kids push their bodies so hard though. 1 sport ends another begins. These are growing young people. They need several weeks of NOTHING in between, and they rarely get it. 

Your "regret" quote is so spot on though.