Dobyns-Bennett @ GreenEville

KEV-O

12 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Downtown there is a building with a plaque on it that said Buffalo Bill Cody performed here. It’s on a corner across from the Federal Court House. Do you know the building or what it was?

I lived in a house on North Main with a secret room that was supposed to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, barb said:

I lived in a house on North Main with a secret room that was supposed to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. 

Whoa. That's pretty interesting right there.  A real significant part of our nation's history. 

A lot of people don't understand that East Tennessee was very much  pro Union. 

Edited by HTV

9 minutes ago, HTV said:

Whoa. That's pretty interesting right there.  A real significant part of our nation's history. 

A lot of people don't understand that East Tennessee was very much  pro Union. 

HTV, there was a book called the Bridge Burners. 7 pro unionists burned bridges to impede Southern military movement in Greeneville/Greene County. They were hanged by Southern forces. For the most part Southern arms were considered occupation forces. On the other hand a great little read is A Confederate Boy In Greeneville, another perspective.

Edited by noonesfool

10 hours ago, noonesfool said:

HTV, there was a book called the Bridge Burners. 7 pro unionists burned bridges to impede Southern military movement in Greeneville/Greene County. They were hanged by Southern forces. For the most part Southern arms were considered occupation forces. On the other hand a great little read is A Confederate Boy In Greeneville, another perspective.

Thank you.  I'll look for it.  

One of my son's West Point classmate's Dad was the Superintendent of the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site in Greeneville.  Heard some really neat stories and got to see some things that one doesn't see on the general tour.  AJ was an interesting character.  

13 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Don't remember either working for the city. I know Ron worked with my Dad at AFG (glass plant) and Don worked for the Kingsport Press. 

I sit corrected.  Now that I think about it I remembered that one of them worked for the Press.  

Loved watching those guys act back in the day.  One of the greatest rasslin' holds ever was Ronnie's Warp Ye Head Off Hold, and whenever he started "loading the boot" you knew that something special was about to happen.  

Used to drive from West Knoxville to the Tally Ward Building in Morristown to see them perform.  

21 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Normally I would agree but this year Central (2-2), Oak Ridge (2-3) and MoWest (3-2) are not that impressive.   However there was no way to know that back when the schedule was made.      This game with DB will be a barn-burner for sure.    Assuming the GREENE makes it past the Tribe the rest of the schedule will be a cakewalk, my guess is Seymour will be the toughest one left.

You are counting mo west and central's losses to Greeneville in their record. And if they had won we wouldn't be looking at Greeneville the same way. And DB and oak ridge or both good game's. You want to look at record only. And not who the team's have played. Oak Ridge is a very dangerous team. They are the toughest team left on our schedule in my opinion. GHS will be able to name the score against Seymour volunteer beat them by two touchdowns

21 hours ago, noonesfool said:

One thing I have seen and always thought the Indians did well…… they will hit you.

Ha, that's exactly what I always told my kids and their teammates about the Devils when they were either in middle school or at DB. First time I said that I believe was before a 9th grade game that came down to the very end with DB winning.That Greeneville team would be the first to play for a championship when they were seniors, but came up just short.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, noonesfool said:

I don't know if it's a true story but one of my uncle's told me years ago that we had a great grand dad who was so stubborn that he wouldn't show the Confederate army how to cross the river and was shot dead on the spot. 

22 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Normally I would agree but this year Central (2-2), Oak Ridge (2-3) and MoWest (3-2) are not that impressive.   However there was no way to know that back when the schedule was made.      This game with DB will be a barn-burner for sure.    Assuming the GREENE makes it past the Tribe the rest of the schedule will be a cakewalk, my guess is Seymour will be the toughest one left.

I guess I'm old school,I would never call Oak Ridge a cakewalk,even if they are down from normal.

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

I don't know if it's a true story but one of my uncle's told me years ago that we had a great grand dad who was so stubborn that he wouldn't show the Confederate army how to cross the river and was shot dead on the spot. 

Probably true…. The Gray were very intolerant to unionists. And if your family has a history of stubbornness (just saying) even more so.