Emory Road Rivalry - Halls @ Powell

osunut2

The OR faithful has started up the Powell-OR thread, but first the Panthers have a big non-region rivalry game this week when they host the Red Devils.

Historically, this one always seemed to be a close game, but forfeits aside, the only time this game has been decided by single digits in the past decade was in 2015 when Halls won a high-scoring affair 40-33. Halls has been tough to gauge this season, and they will certainly have their hands full with Potts and those WRs. I'm curious to see if the Powell defense can take another step forward before next week's matchup with OR.

Any predictions?

The 2 coaches don't care for each other going back to the 2011 semifinal game when then West coach Scott Cummings publicly accused Powell's defensive linemen of mimicking his QBs cadence. West had 7 or 8 false starts in the first half of that game alone, which saw Powell win 29-6 and advance on to play Henry County in the Blue Cross Bowl. 

Just something to add to the rivalry that is the Battle of Emory Road. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, osunut2 said:

The OR faithful has started up the Powell-OR thread, but first the Panthers have a big non-region rivalry game this week when they host the Red Devils.

Historically, this one always seemed to be a close game, but forfeits aside, the only time this game has been decided by single digits in the past decade was in 2015 when Halls won a high-scoring affair 40-33. Halls has been tough to gauge this season, and they will certainly have their hands full with Potts and those WRs. I'm curious to see if the Powell defense can take another step forward before next week's matchup with OR.

Any predictions?

You are "very" correct on the fact that Halls has been hard to gauge this season. If the Halls team that showed up at West plays Friday night, it might be a decent game. If the one that played Gibbs shows up, its a running clock the 2nd half. 

9 hours ago, HTV said:

The 2 coaches don't care for each other going back to the 2011 semifinal game when then West coach Scott Cummings publicly accused Powell's defensive linemen of mimicking his QBs cadence. West had 7 or 8 false starts in the first half of that game alone, which saw Powell win 29-6 and advance on to play Henry County in the Blue Cross Bowl. 

Just something to add to the rivalry that is the Battle of Emory Road. 

Surely Pal would never do anything so underhanded...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

Surely Pal would never do anything so underhanded...

The game officials didn't think so.  Not one flag in spite of continual whining from the visiting sideline.  

That was just a butt kicking that night.  Powell dominated that game from start to finish.  If you were there you saw it for yourself.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

The game officials didn't think so.  Not one flag in spite of continual whining from the visiting sideline.  

That was just a butt kicking that night.  Powell dominated that game from start to finish.  If you were there you saw it for yourself.  

Yup, I remember that game well. And I remember Cummings' pettiness afterwards. I'm not sure what was more satisfying - that win or beating him in the playoffs the following year.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Yup, I remember that game well. And I remember Cummings' pettiness afterwards. I'm not sure what was more satisfying - that win or beating him in the playoffs the following year.

Yep.  That round two game with Derek Rang's Powell team was pretty sweet. too.  

And in both of those years the local media, including the TV guys, had coronated West as the best team in Knox County and nobody, also including my friend Jesse Smithey, gave Powell a glimmer of hope in beating West either year.  

21 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

I hope Powell pours it on Halls and wins by 40 plus. Nobody down here in cleveland are fans of Cummings lol. 

That's fine, he has won every where he has been and Cleveland will be where they always are, losing in the first round of the playoffs. Cleveland has only won one playoff game since their 2013 semifinal "appearance" and I'll let you take a guess on who the coach of the team was that beat them.

22 minutes ago, thefox said:

That's fine, he has won every where he has been and Cleveland will be where they always are, losing in the first round of the playoffs. Cleveland has only won one playoff game since their 2013 semifinal "appearance" and I'll let you take a guess on who the coach of the team was that beat them.

Yep. Cleveland is reaping the the rewards of the ole be careful what you wish for because you just might get it saying. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep. Cleveland is reaping the the rewards of the ole be careful what you wish for because you just might get it saying. 

We are 4-1 could be 5-0. Very happy with the coach we have now. Cummings can’t coach out of his comfort zone of Knoxville and tucks tail and runs for a program where he has no pressure to succeed lol.