Emory Road Rivalry - Halls @ Powell

osunut2

17 hours ago, FilmCzar said:

Unreasonable defending of let's just call it "recruiters" in the greater Knoxville area.

Recruiting or no recruiting it seems like anytime Powell plays someone well coached with at least average talent they go down in flames. Going back to last year West handled them and WV spoiled their season, this year they played a tight one to open with AC and should have gone to OT with Halls, and their performance in the Jamboree stuck out to me. Bearden had the Panthers spitting blood in one quarter of action. That tells me there could be some larger foundational issues within the program. One has to wonder if the King of Emory Road has his eye on the ball.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, thefox said:

Recruiting or no recruiting it seems like anytime Powell plays someone well coached with at least average talent they go down in flames. Going back to last year West handled them and WV spoiled their season, this year they played a tight one to open with AC and should have gone to OT with Halls, and their performance in the Jamboree stuck out to me. Bearden had the Panthers spitting blood in one quarter of action. That tells me there could be some larger foundational issues within the program. One has to wonder if the King of Emory Road has his eye on the ball.

I would really like to see Matt get more involved in the X's and O's like he was during his first tenure, but unless things start to go off the rails, I don't think that will happen. I think part of what you are seeing is the result of them leaning heavily on these inexperienced coordinators. It does seem like they've been outcoached a lot these past few seasons, which is disappointing. As far as foundational issues go, I don't buy that just yet. I think this has more to do with the team's overall personality. There is some real talent there, but swagger doesn't mean much when you haven't won a single playoff game since Matt's return. If I were running the show, you better believe that I'd be reminding my kids of that humbling/sobering fact every dang day.

I'm hoping that the game last week was a gut-check, but we'll see. Defensively, they are playing MUCH better than they were in August. Personally, I think this team needs to grind out a win here or there. I get the sense that this team thinks it should be easy every week, and that's just not reality.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I would really like to see Matt get more involved in the X's and O's like he was during his first tenure, but unless things start to go off the rails, I don't think that will happen. I think part of what you are seeing is the result of them leaning heavily on these inexperienced coordinators. It does seem like they've been outcoached a lot these past few seasons, which is disappointing. As far as foundational issues go, I don't buy that just yet. I think this has more to do with the team's overall personality. There is some real talent there, but swagger doesn't mean much when you haven't won a single playoff game since Matt's return. If I were running the show, you better believe that I'd be reminding my kids of that humbling/sobering fact every dang day.

I'm hoping that the game last week was a gut-check, but we'll see. Defensively, they are playing MUCH better than they were in August. Personally, I think this team needs to grind out a win here or there. I get the sense that this team thinks it should be easy every week, and that's just not reality.

I just would like to see Powell totally dominate a team. Even in the games that they have scored a lot of points, it never seems like they step on another team's throat. They have all the talent in the world and should be able to do this. There is absolutely no reason why a team should score on them with the front 7 they have and the skill players on the back end. Although they are much improved from the start of the season (I went to their jamboree... yikes), I have always said that if Powell had a solid DC that they would be in great shape and could compete for state titles with the talent they have on the roster. I think the current guy is "okay" but if they had a stud defense (like they should, because of simple 5A offenses) that they would be playing into deep November every year. Regardless of the experience of the OC (which is very little), he has the talent to bail him out on a weekly basis. Outside of those two and Lowe, the rest of those coaches are just towel wavers and glorified hype men so they are somewhat irrelevant in the conversation, I suppose. Again, this is just what I have gathered from the footage I have viewed so far this year and in previous years. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

I just would like to see Powell totally dominate a team. Even in the games that they have scored a lot of points, it never seems like they step on another team's throat. They have all the talent in the world and should be able to do this. There is absolutely no reason why a team should score on them with the front 7 they have and the skill players on the back end. Although they are much improved from the start of the season (I went to their jamboree... yikes), I have always said that if Powell had a solid DC that they would be in great shape and could compete for state titles with the talent they have on the roster. I think the current guy is "okay" but if they had a stud defense (like they should, because of simple 5A offenses) that they would be playing into deep November every year. Regardless of the experience of the OC (which is very little), he has the talent to bail him out on a weekly basis. Outside of those two and Lowe, the rest of those coaches are just towel wavers and glorified hype men so they are somewhat irrelevant in the conversation, I suppose. Again, this is just what I have gathered from the footage I have viewed so far this year and in previous years. 

Science Hill was the one game this year where they put it all together for 48 min. They were well on their way against Karns (40-7 late in the 3rd), but they let their foot off the gas.

They've got the bodies to have a solid defense; they didn't have any beef on last year's defensive line, but they brought back almost every starter and added Walter Nolen. Their issues (especially early on) have predominately been scheme related. They've improved as the season has progressed, but I'm with you, I want to see them dominate someone. That said, they don't have many doormats on this schedule. Believe it or not, outside of Lenoir City, the only other team they play that is likely to have a losing record by season's end is Oak Ridge.

20 hours ago, HTV said:

Here we go again.  

Everybody in Knox County plays in those margins.  Period.  If you believe otherwise you are delusional. 

And I have asked a dozen times what Powell is allegedly doing to get kids there that nobody else is.  

Specifics, please.  Otherwise you are just like everybody else throwing out allegations without anything substantial to back them.  

And I repeat that I haven't talked to anybody connected to the Powell program in months, back to the early spring, so I am not in the mindset to "defend" anybody.  

So let me get this right... other schools in the Greater Knoxville Area not named Alcoa and Powell are actively recruiting players to come to their school? I think that is delusional to assume, to be honest. I am sure that coaches are out in the middle schools talking to players and building relationships... but they are not actively going and trying to get current high school kids that have established an athletic record.

What about the Powell assistants (aka towel wavers) after one of the games last year with his "you need to come play for us" comments and what not.  It is pretty well-documented that Powell does not fall in line with what the transfer rules require. That was evident when they had to forfeit several games just a few years ago. What other teams have had to do that? The Nolan kid is probably the most legitimate transfer they have gotten due to the bona fide change of address. But c'mon man, let's not even get into the kids zoned Fulton moving with their coach to CAK then moving with him to Powell when he got canned.  :bored:

Edited by FilmCzar

59 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Science Hill was the one game this year where they put it all together for 48 min. They were well on their way against Karns (40-7 late in the 3rd), but they let their foot off the gas.

They've got the bodies to have a solid defense; they didn't have any beef on last year's defensive line, but they brought back almost every starter and added Walter Nolen. Their issues (especially early on) have predominately been scheme related. They've improved as the season has progressed, but I'm with you, I want to see them dominate someone. That said, they don't have many doormats on this schedule. Believe it or not, outside of Lenoir City, the only other team they play that is likely to have a losing record by season's end is Oak Ridge.

What are you seeing schematically that they need to improve upon? Of the games that I have seen, it looks like they are asking the QB to do too much with the football. Passing concepts are taking years to develop and then the kid just runs around. Defensively, I think they need to get more creative with where they place the Nolan kid on the DL. He should never line up at the same position two times in a row. Move him around the interior and on the edge. Obviously he is hard to move and has created a ton of TFL's but they need to get him on the edge in passing situations to create some rush. It is much easier to double an interior defensive linemen than it is to isolate them on the edge vs an offensive tackle.

Oh boy, here we go again.  

HTV is gonna wanna see some facts, otherwise you're just like everybody else and cannot substantiate the allegations.

Where have you been Filmczar, we have seen this exact conversation a hundred times.

Not trying to speak for HTV, he don't need any help, but I just know what's coming next. ha ha

Edited by oridgecat

Just now, oridgecat said:

Oh boy, here we go again.  

HTV is gonna wanna see some facts, otherwise you're just like everybody else and cannot substantiate the allegations.

Where have you been Filmczar, we have seen this exact conversation a hundred times.

The six forfeited games in 2018 do not serve as strong enough evidence? Once a cheater always a cheater! I hate it for the kids. My sister in law grew up in Powell. Cheered on the little league teams at Levi Field. She's totally distraught about the way business is handled there within that football program. I will say this having known my sister in law for a long time, the culture of that athletics team is not indicative of that community. Great, tough, hard working people. The furthest thing from towel wavers and "look at me" coaches.

1 minute ago, FilmCzar said:

What are you seeing schematically that they need to improve upon? Of the games that I have seen, it looks like they are asking the QB to do too much with the football. Passing concepts are taking years to develop and then the kid just runs around. Defensively, I think they need to get more creative with where they place the Nolan kid on the DL. He should never line up at the same position two times in a row. Move him around the interior and on the edge. Obviously he is hard to move and has created a ton of TFL's but they need to get him on the edge in passing situations to create some rush. It is much easier to double an interior defensive linemen than it is to isolate them on the edge vs an offensive tackle.

Oh I was talking about defensive schematics. Guys are out of position, taking bad angles, not gap sound, etc, but that has gotten better the past few weeks. They've actually done a decent job of moving Walter around since early in the season, and now that he's in better game shape, I think they should do that even more frequently.

Offensively I completely agree. They are asking Potts to do way too much. I get that they have a lot of WR mouths to feed, but I think there were some opportunities to develop a consistent running game this season, especially with such a good offensive line, and they haven't taken advantage. It probably didn't help that Stockton got hurt early in the year, and he's been in and out of the lineup as a result. I'm also surprised we haven't seen more "simple" throws - jet sweeps and bubble screens - which is another reason I know that Matt isn't as involved with the play calling.

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

Oh I was talking about defensive schematics. Guys are out of position, taking bad angles, not gap sound, etc, but that has gotten better the past few weeks. They've actually done a decent job of moving Walter around since early in the season, and now that he's in better game shape, I think they should do that even more frequently.

Offensively I completely agree. They are asking Potts to do way too much. I get that they have a lot of WR mouths to feed, but I think there were some opportunities to develop a consistent running game this season, especially with such a good offensive line, and they haven't taken advantage. It probably didn't help that Stockton got hurt early in the year, and he's been in and out of the lineup as a result. I'm also surprised we haven't seen more "simple" throws - jet sweeps and bubble screens - which is another reason I know that Matt isn't as involved with the play calling.

Yes, I would imagine that the toughest thing about play design there is making sure that every guy gets enough touches. A good problem to have tho, I suppose. I would like to see them simplify the scheme in the passing game and get the ball on the perimeter quicker to these guys. I agree that bubbles, smokes, jets, would get that to happen in a cheap way while also not adjusting a lot of what the big boys are doing up front. Trying to generate outside the box ways to get guys cheap touches will keep the QB from sitting in the pocket and carrying the football so much. With the way he runs (totally fearless) he worries me a ton! Great kid, great family!  Nonetheless, they could run the same four plays and probably score every other series with the talent they have alone so I guess it doesn't REALLY matter. Maybe in November.

14 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

The six forfeited games in 2018 do not serve as strong enough evidence? Once a cheater always a cheater! I hate it for the kids. My sister in law grew up in Powell. Cheered on the little league teams at Levi Field. She's totally distraught about the way business is handled there within that football program. I will say this having known my sister in law for a long time, the culture of that athletics team is not indicative of that community. Great, tough, hard working people. The furthest thing from towel wavers and "look at me" coaches.

That wasn't for recruiting. It was for playing a player who didn't live in the zone and didn't sit out his required 12 months.  Somebody screwed up and Powell paid the price for it. That mistake hasn't need made again.  

And, yes.  Every school plays in the margins.  Some are simply doing it better than others right now.  Don't be a hypocrite.  

The alleged incident you referenced from a couple of years ago was investigated by the TSSAA and found to be without credibility. 

OK, again, specifics on recruiting improprieties or stop whining. 

And Powell is very much a different school than even when my kids were there 15 years ago.  Knox County redrawing the zones made it so, just as they did other zones, too.  

Edited by HTV