Battle for first in Region 1-6A: Jeff County at Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

19 hours ago, KnoxVil said:

Yep, 5A football just ain’t very good in the East this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Central representing when all is said and done.

A lot of people have written them off, but they lost to two very good teams right out of the blocks. Greeneville was a beast and Fulton is much improved this year. If I remember correctly Central had two loses in both of their championship years. They end the season with 3 tough games (SD, Halls, and West) We'll see! But DB doesn't want to look past Jeff Co.!

13 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I get taking every game seriously, but you guys have nothing to worry about in this one.

DB doesn't have the team this year to "not worry" about anybody on their schedule. I don't think anybody could say they have looked "good" in any game so far. Yeah they played Greeneville close for three quarters but ended up losing by 28. Nothing to hang your hat on there. I'm not downing the Tribe, just being honest. Losing 31 seniors leaves you with very little experience on the field. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

DB doesn't have the team this year to "not worry" about anybody on their schedule. I don't think anybody could say they have looked "good" in any game so far. Yeah they played Greeneville close for three quarters but ended up losing by 28. Nothing to hang your hat on there. I'm not downing the Tribe, just being honest. Losing 31 seniors leaves you with very little experience on the field. 

Yeah, but just win the Science Hill Super Bowl in a  few weeks and all will be good

58 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Yeah, but just win the Science Hill Super Bowl in a  few weeks and all will be good

I think it is different in Kingsport than other places. Yes absolutely we must beat Science Hill, but unlike other schools if we beat them but lose every other game its not a good situation. In 2018 we beat them and went 4-6, our fanbase was ready to fire Joey before he could really get started. If Science Hill goes 4-6 and beats us, thats a great season. Just my 2 cents

53 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

I think it is different in Kingsport than other places. Yes absolutely we must beat Science Hill, but unlike other schools if we beat them but lose every other game its not a good situation. In 2018 we beat them and went 4-6, our fanbase was ready to fire Joey before he could really get started. If Science Hill goes 4-6 and beats us, thats a great season. Just my 2 cents

That's a good point about season expectations, every school is different in what they consider a successful year or lack thereof.   Elizabethton and Greeneville think anything less than 10-0 is not success.   Some schools just want to beat their rival and no other games really matter.   For some if they can get a playoff game that equals success.    We could probably create a separate thread on this topic.    I would be interested to see what fans of other schools consider a successful season.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

That's a good point about season expectations, every school is different in what they consider a successful year or lack thereof.   Elizabethton and Greeneville think anything less than 10-0 is not success.   Some schools just want to beat their rival and no other games really matter.   For some if they can get a playoff game that equals success.    We could probably create a separate thread on this topic.    I would be interested to see what fans of other schools consider a successful season.

Science Hill is different than any other school I know of. For such a large school with a lot of top notch athletes year in and year out they don't have a large fan base following in football. It truly does seem like beating DB is 70% of their season. I remember when they hired the coach that was before Carter they stated publicly that they were first looking for a coach that could beat DB. When that coach failed to beat DB he got fired and they hired Stacy Carter who had never won over the Indians. Now Carter beats DB every year but can't beat anybody else. And it looks like their happy as can be with it. 

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Science Hill is different than any other school I know of. For such a large school with a lot of top notch athletes year in and year out they don't have a large fan base following in football. It truly does seem like beating DB is 70% of their season. I remember when they hired the coach that was before Carter they stated publicly that they were first looking for a coach that could beat DB. When that coach failed to beat DB he got fired and they hired Stacy Carter who had never won over the Indians. Now Carter beats DB every year but can't beat anybody else. And it looks like their happy as can be with it. 

You are so right about the fan base in JC.   I have been over there and the Boone side is standing room only, the SH side has tons of open seats.       Maybe all the "fans" only show up for the DB game every year, but with such a nice facility and all the athletes they have it's a shame they are not better supported by the community.     I think this is the year DB finally wins but we'll save that for another thread in  a few weeks.

A few things after reading though the post.Yes,JC vs DB seems to bring out a lot of dirty plays over the past several years. Also some dirty posters as well who won't pay their debts after running their pie hole. Had to throw that in if anyone remembers my bet with the JC fan and my urinal cake donation on his behalf to JFred. Next the SH vs DB fan base.Somewhere,I still have a little of the golden grass from the last game played on the old field in JC ,a game DB won . I like to beat SH but I'd rather see DB lose that game and win five playoff games afterwards.

1 hour ago, BatmanDB said:

A few things after reading though the post.Yes,JC vs DB seems to bring out a lot of dirty plays over the past several years. Also some dirty posters as well who won't pay their debts after running their pie hole. Had to throw that in if anyone remembers my bet with the JC fan and my urinal cake donation on his behalf to JFred. Next the SH vs DB fan base.Somewhere,I still have a little of the golden grass from the last game played on the old field in JC ,a game DB won . I like to beat SH but I'd rather see DB lose that game and win five playoff games afterwards.

I think that the consensus mindset of the fanbase would be in agreement. I think the sweet spot of a "succsessful" season is Getting past the 2nd Round of the playoffs. We have dealt with so many 1 and done or 2 and done playoff years with Clark, that if we make it to the mighty Rebs in round 3 then it is a pretty good year. Obviously the next step is beating them, but if we really wan to celebrate a "great" year in Kingsport Semis to Gold Ball would probably be that threshold. At least in my opinion. Others can chime in if they agree or disagree.

1 hour ago, DBKPT93 said:

I think that the consensus mindset of the fanbase would be in agreement. I think the sweet spot of a "succsessful" season is Getting past the 2nd Round of the playoffs. We have dealt with so many 1 and done or 2 and done playoff years with Clark, that if we make it to the mighty Rebs in round 3 then it is a pretty good year. Obviously the next step is beating them, but if we really wan to celebrate a "great" year in Kingsport Semis to Gold Ball would probably be that threshold. At least in my opinion. Others can chime in if they agree or disagree.

I believe you're right because DB has choked so many times in the playoffs when they clearly had the better team.   But at the same time, a lot of the fans only care about the band and by playoff time they are getting ready to play in some big venue so the football team gets lost in the shuffle.            But for REAL football fans like all of us guys here on the "T", then you are 100% correct.            Last year DB made it to round 3 and gave Maryville all they wanted so I would count that as successful.          Most teams in NET get bounced in round 1.