Station Camp vs Mt. Juliet

middletn

33 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

In contrast, Powell's opponents so far are 21-15 and West's are 19-17.  

Hardly a comparable discussion between the East and West in 5a right now.

Out of both schedules take out the outlier of Maryville and Alcoa and what do you have. I will give props to Knox West, I am high on them especially after the battle they gave Alcoa. But Powell, I've never been high on. Powell has beat a 2-4 4A  Anderson County team, did not score majority of the points against Maryville until starters came out, and beat Halls by one score. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, middletn said:

Out of both schedules take out the outlier of Maryville and Alcoa and what do you have. I will give props to Knox West, I am high on them especially after the battle they gave Alcoa. But Powell, I've never been high on. Powell has beat a 2-4 4A  Anderson County team, did not score majority of the points against Maryville until starters came out, and beat Halls by one score. 

Prior to Martinez's injury (QB), AC was a quality opponent, especially when you consider their schedule. Their result against Halls should be cause for concern though. Their defense is getting better, but opposing defenses have figured out how to really hamper the Powell offense the past 2 weeks.

Edited by osunut2

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Prior to Martinez's injury (QB), AC was a quality opponent, especially when you consider their schedule. Their result against Halls should be cause for concern though. Their defense is getting better, but opposing defenses have figured out how to really hamper the Powell offense the past 2 weeks.

Powell is not a bad team at all, but to win the big one you have to have a good run game and a good run defense and I believe Powell lacks both. They figure those two things out I don't think anyone could stop them in 5A. However, I still believe Powell are frontrunners. Matt Lowe has done a great job turning that program around but I still question how bought in are their players. In no way is this a shot at Powell, I'm just an outsider looking in, but I see a lot of selfishness in players and a team trying to be flashy. But that is what had to happen for Powell to get to the position they are at. Powell and West will meet in the playoffs, it is almost inevitable. Way too early to predict anything, I just think both teams have a lot of building to get to the point they want to be at. 

10 minutes ago, middletn said:

Powell is not a bad team at all, but to win the big one you have to have a good run game and a good run defense and I believe Powell lacks both. They figure those two things out I don't think anyone could stop them in 5A. However, I still believe Powell are frontrunners. Matt Lowe has done a great job turning that program around but I still question how bought in are their players. In no way is this a shot at Powell, I'm just an outsider looking in, but I see a lot of selfishness in players and a team trying to be flashy. But that is what had to happen for Powell to get to the position they are at. Powell and West will meet in the playoffs, it is almost inevitable. Way too early to predict anything, I just think both teams have a lot of building to get to the point they want to be at. 

You are spot on. Powell has an average running game, and while their defense has improved, they still lack a stingy run defense at this point. That's what got them to Cookeville back in 2011. From my perspective, this 2nd Matt Lowe tenure has had a different feel compared to the 1st. I'm not tuned in to the program like I was ~10 years ago, but I felt like they were more of a hard hat and lunch pail-type of team his first go around. There was also a legitimate "us against the world" mentality, given all of the folks in Knoxville and around East TN who doubted them then. This team is a lot more flash/sizzle and less grind/steak, and when things have gotten tough, they've not responded appropriately. They got a gift at the end of the game last week, so it'll be interesting to see how things go moving forward.

I'm not saying that they can't be successful in the current mold, but I don't think they can reach the pinnacle.

3 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

Station Camp's opponents have a combined record of 11-18.  

For both, only one team they've played thus far have a winning record.

They are both the best team each other has seen. A lot of unknowns so it could come down to field position and who takes care of the ball.