Week 8- Oak Ridge @ Greenville

CardinalGrey

BC, what’s up with your OR obsession? I mean, personally, it doesn’t bother me, because I know Alcoa would mop the floor with us, especially this year. For a team that sucks so bad though, you sure do talk about us a lot. What’s up wit dat, padre? Do you secretly have some OR polos hanging up in your closet sommers? BTW, that’s the Alver Spraaangs way of saying somewhere.

Edited by SweetScience

7 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Just curious, is anybody else on here going to Greeneville besides me and Bounder?  I'm gonna bet that the Wild Band will sit this one out.  

Yep me and MaMa Bounder will be there, it's also a good reason to go to Pals. haha

Actually we're going cause we're gonna give a couple of hard working and very deserving guys a Wildcat Whoop #### t-shirt. Don't know who they are yet but they're gonna get one. Dang I hope it don't rain. MaMa Bounder don't like getting wet and she'll be grumpy all the way home. And she does have rain gear. We been doing this since the first time Joe was here.

WILDCAT PRIDE

1 hour ago, bounder said:

Yep me and MaMa Bounder will be there, it's also a good reason to go to Pals. haha

Actually we're going cause we're gonna give a couple of hard working and very deserving guys a Wildcat Whoop #### t-shirt. Don't know who they are yet but they're gonna get one. Dang I hope it don't rain. MaMa Bounder don't like getting wet and she'll be grumpy all the way home. And she does have rain gear. We been doing this since the first time Joe was here.

WILDCAT PRIDE

Probably one of the best things about living in Kingsport,Pals all over the place.I had my favorite breakfest yesterday morning after a night shift,  Big pal and FF from the Colonial Heights Pals.. I always ask if their ready because the one next to DB actually has had me wait in the Parking lot twice for fries when stopping early in the morning.The first time I waited a couple minutes and was so  mad that I drove off without my fries.Yep,ole Batman  showed his backside and didn't get his fries.The second time I remembered how much I missed those fries and waited like a grown-up. Ha.

16 hours ago, catswild said:

I don't think that comparison is accurate at all. You may be right about a small crowd because OR is 2-4, it's fall break, and it's a long trip, but the crowd at the Powell game was very good. We took a good crowd to Lenoir City and OR was 1-3 at the time. The crowd tomorrow night may surprise you. We never had a crowd in 2008 that I recall that was anything like last week...in fact, that may have been more fans at the Powell game than attended during the entire 2008 season. The crowd at Farragut was pretty good and I expect a good crowd at the remaining games after tomorrow night. Don't get me wrong, the crowds would be bigger if OR was winning, but this is nothing like 2008 crowds, and I don't think it will be that way...not at all.

I wasn't comparing our home crowds this year to '08.  I was trying to say that the OR following that will be at Greeneville tonight will be very few, which will be reminiscent of what the home crowds looked like at the end of the SS run.  Few and far between.   Heck, the band ain't even going.  lol

I hope OR takes a good crowd up there to support these boys.  Yes, Greeneville is very good and it will be a tough game to win, and yes, OR is struggling, especially on offense, but hopefully will be better this week. This is one of those years like 1986, and 2008 where OR has lost close games it normally wins and things just aren't falling their way.  This team is very young, only 11 seniors on the whole roster, with a couple of starters, so the groundwork is there to be good next season,  Right now, they need fan support to help finish this season on a high note, win as many as they can and get a playoff spot and win a couple of them. The road back starts tonight. 

I might add that guys returning need to start hitting that weight room now and all through next year, lots of games are won, especially up front in those cold lonely mornings lifting in January.

Edited by Cactus Jack
Add comment

20 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I hope OR takes a good crowd up there to support these boys.  Yes, Greeneville is very good and it will be a tough game to win, and yes, OR is struggling, especially on offense, but hopefully will be better this week. This is one of those years like 1986, and 2008 where OR has lost close games it normally wins and things just aren't falling their way.  This team is very young, only 11 seniors on the whole roster, with a couple of starters, so the groundwork is there to be good next season,  Right now, they need fan support to help finish this season on a high note, win as many as they can and get a playoff spot and win a couple of them. The road back starts tonight. 

I might add that guys returning need to start hitting that weight room now and all through next year, lots of games are won, especially up front in those cold lonely mornings lifting in January.

Agreed.  I will add to that.  Yes, these guys need to hit the weights hard.  But, there has to be a structure in place for them to do so.  There needs to be a set team workout time where attendance and participation is required in order to remain a member of the team.  Some of the better teams choose before school, others have strength and conditioning as a class  during the school day, some alternate lifting at the beginning or end of practice.  There are several options on how/when to do it.  We have a few guys that hit the weights on their own because they want to be the best player they can be.  But let's face it, most teens today are only going to do what is required of them, and that takes additional time and effort on the part of the coaches.  The players not only need to be supervised (to make sure they are actually lifting while in the weight room) but they need to be encouraged,/motivated and coached on the safe and correct way to get the results.  The strength and conditioning part of it is crucial as to whether OR gets back on top or becomes a middle of the pack team.  

Edited by oridgecat

4 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Agreed.  I will add to that.  Yes, these guys need to hit the weights hard.  But, there has to be a structure in place for them to do so.  There needs to be a set team workout time where attendance and participation is required in order to remain a member of the team.  Some of the better teams choose before school, others have strength and conditioning as a class  during the school day, some alternate lifting at the beginning or end of practice.  There are several options on how to do it.  We have a few guys that hit the weights on their own because they want to be the best player they can be.  But let's face it, most teens today are only going to do what is required of them, and that takes additional time and effort on the part of the coaches.  The players not only need to be supervised (to make sure they are actually lifting while in the weight room) but they need to be encouraged,/motivated and coached on the safe and correct way to get the results.  The strength and conditioning part of it is crucial as to whether OR gets back on top or becomes a middle of the pack team.  

That is all true.  The success of the team next year depends on the strength of the lines, OR has the skill guys who can run behind them and I believe they will have two quarterbacks next year who can throw if they get the protection.  Strength and conditioning needs to be front and center this coming off season.