Haywood travels to lake county for a Thursday night show down!

Kruger77

5 hours ago, stacmot said:

I agree.  He did look fairly mobile in the Peabody-LC video footage.

The real reason the game was moved to Lake County was the fact that LC was only going to have 3 home games this year. Coach Smith of Haywood County did LC a big favor by agreeing to move the game to LC. LC will make the return trip next year. LC is a small program and needs all the gate and concession money they can get. It was never away to get out of the game. LC needs to play all they can. HC coach is a class act. He didn't have to agree to moving the game but he did. That is the truth to the situation.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2021 at 3:06 PM, stacmot said:

Where are the Haywood and Lake Co. posters?  We still have a game don't we?

Haywood (6-0) is averaging 43 ppg while allowing an average of 9.83  ppg.  The average margin of victory is 33.17
Lake Co. (2-2) is averaging 24.50 ppg while allowing an average of 20 ppg.  The average margin of victory is 4.50

Chris Smith is in his 3rd year as head coach of the Tomcats.  His record at Haywood is 28-6.
Cory Quinn is in his 2nd year as head coach of the Falcons.  His record at Lake Co. is 9-7.

Haywood's opponents have a total of 14 wins and 26 loses.
Lake County's opponents have a total of 18 wins and 8 loses.

Haywood played in the 4A semifinals in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.  Although they came home with the silver, they went on to play in the 4A finals in 2018 and 2020. There are a number of Tomcats on this year's team who have had plenty of experience against some good competition.

Haywood has 2 players on the Tennessee Titans Mr. Football watch list:
Jaylen Lewis and JaKylon Taylor.  Lewis has committed to Arkansas.  

Some other Tomcats to watch are Camron Douglas, Cordero Walker, Anthony Brewer, Reid Russell (K).  I'm sure my fellow Tomcat fans can, and should, add to the list.  They probably have access to the stats as well. I don't.  

Lake County played in the 1A semifinals in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.  The Falcons advanced to and won the state 1A championship in 2019, so  there should be plenty of Falcons with experience against some good competition as well.

I saw in the Jackson Sun where Jamarius Williams had 273 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries in Lake County's 26-20 win over West Carroll.  I've heard Jamarius Williams' name before, so I'm sure he is a key Falcon to watch.  

Who are some of the other key players for the Falcons?

Predictions:
Cal Preps - Haywood 35, Lake Co. 6
Massey - Haywood 41, Lake Co. 7

I mentioned in a previous post that both Haywood High and Lake County High have a long and proud history of football.  If you're interested here's some of the history.

The Haywood County High School Tomcats (purple and white) and Carver High School Wildcats (purple and white) consolidated to form Haywood High School (Tomcats, purple and white) in 1970. (Note...the official name of the school is now Haywood High School, NOT Haywood County High School.)  

Haywood County first fielded a football team in 1912.  Looking at the combined records of Haywood County and Haywood High, the Tomcats have won 687 games, lost 397, and tied 32 for a winning percentage of 63%.  The Tomcats have had 74 winning seasons, 31 losing seasons, and 17 ten win seasons.  Haywood has played in 4 state championship games winning 0.  The Tomcats have won 17 district/region championships.

The Tiptonville High School Earthquakes (black and gold) and the Ridgely High Green Wave (green and white) consolidated to form Lake County High School (Falcons, green and gold) in 1963.

Lake Co. first fielded a football team in that year (1963).  Since that time the Falcons have won 411 games, lost 241, and tied 4 for a winning percentage of 63%. The Falcons have had 51 winning seasons, 17 losing seasons, and 14 ten win seasons.  Lake Co. has played in 6 state championship games winning 3.  The Falcons have won 14 district/region championships.

The Jackson Sun didn't do the Da Da any justice. He actually rushed for 343 yards against West Carroll last Friday.

2 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

The real reason the game was moved to Lake County was the fact that LC was only going to have 3 home games this year. Coach Smith of Haywood County did LC a big favor by agreeing to move the game to LC. LC will make the return trip next year. LC is a small program and needs all the gate and concession money they can get. It was never away to get out of the game. LC needs to play all they can. HC coach is a class act. He didn't have to agree to moving the game but he did. That is the truth to the situation.

This is the absolute truth. Coach Smith understood what Lake County was up against and agreed to move the game to help the program out financially. I give all the props to LC for agreeing to the games in the first place and I know they won't be an easy task. HC will need its A game. There are a lot of larger opponents across the state who won't play this series. LC is a class act imo as well.

3 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Wow...three home games.  That's more than the 2 regular season home games Haywood had last year.  That said, I'm sure Haywood's AD and Coach Smith definitely understood the financial situation the LC program was facing.  

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Wow...three home games.  That's more than the 2 regular season home games Haywood had last year.  That said, I'm sure Haywood's AD and Coach Smith definitely understood the financial situation the LC program was facing.  

I went back and looked.  It appears that LC only had 2 regular seasons home games last year as well.