5A Playoff 2021

Rhea Co.

16 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

I understand and do remember the z plan.  I didn't realize that's what he was referenceing.  I'd still argue that has very litle impact on the postseason though. 

I wasn't really making that argument. I was just pointing out that under the Z plan, West had a tough road to hoe in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I wasn't really making that argument. I was just pointing out that under the Z plan, West had a tough road to hoe in the regular season.

I get it.  I'd rather not make arguments between coaches at all.  I think the comments disparaging one coach over another are way out of line.

12 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

I get it.  I'd rather not make arguments between coaches at all.  I think the comments disparaging one coach over another are way out of line.

Isn't that what this forum is for? Having a medium to discuss coaches/teams/etc.? Lamar has seen success playing weaker competition in the regular season. Scott was not afforded that luxury in his early years but eventually built the program up to where anyone can see success now.

6 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

Isn't that what this forum is for? Having a medium to discuss coaches/teams/etc.? Lamar has seen success playing weaker competition in the regular season. Scott was not afforded that luxury in his early years but eventually built the program up to where anyone can see success now.

I've already demonstrated that competition for state was actually weaker when West won state than it is now.  You just ignoring that?  

And no.  I don't think this forum is here to disparage individual coaches or players.

1 minute ago, Knoxemdown said:

I've already demonstrated that competition for state was actually weaker when West won state than it is now.  You just ignoring that?  

And no.  I don't think this forum is here to disparage individual coaches or players.

Go look at the region that West was in the early 2000's to 2009 is actually much tougher. Let's be honest, East TN 5A is totally weak. Not disparaging any coaches, just stating that Scott did more with less and an argument could be made that Lamar has not done as much.

3 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

Go look at the region that West was in the early 2000's to 2009 is actually much tougher. Let's be honest, East TN 5A is totally weak. Not disparaging any coaches, just stating that Scott did more with less and an argument could be made that Lamar has not done as much.

The z plan region you were in had no bearing on if you could win state or who you played in the post-season.  There were no State Champions in REGIONs 3/4 postseaston for 5a for the 5 years prior to WEst winning state.  In Contrast those same regions in 5a have had state champions 4 of the last 5 years most recently.  

The only thing the zplan would effect is seeding.  It didn't effect the strength of the programs in the postseason that you had to beat to win state.

and you saying East TN 5a is totally weak has no bearing in FACT.  If that were true why would the state champion come out of 5a in region 3/4 for four of the last 5 years.  The facts fly in the face of that assertion.

18 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

You think the region was tougher then than now?  Let's look at the state finals since.  I think we'd see the 3/4 5a Regions are more competitive now if we're being truthful.

Maryville moved to 6a in 2009. In the list below I'll put when someone from Region 3 or 4 made the finals or where champion.

2009-  none (And remember Maryville moved to 6a this year)

2010-  none

2011-  Powell-Finalist

2012- None

2013- West -Finalist

2014- West champion

2015- Sevier County- Finalist

2016- Farragut- Champion

2017- Catholic- Champion

2018-  Central- Champion

2019 - Central- Champion

2020-  OR- Finalist

West didn't battle through powerhouses to win in 2014.  There was no dominant program after Maryville left.  Since West won in 2015  5/7 champions have come from the two knoxvile 5a regions.  It's clearly more competitive now.

I can't speak much on the region in the early 2000's. Were Cocke Co and Heritage in the region then? Having those two teams alone is like getting two extra bye weeks. They played Maryville, Fulton, Farragut, and Austin East who were no pushovers on and off during the 2010's. Scott Cummings and his staff made West the dominant team to create a talent disparity to their opponents. You could make the case that the regions are more competitive but that is on the coaches. I think Lamar is well aware of this and that is why he got Kevin Lane back. He was one of Cummings's most trusted assistants/called the defense. That makes me think Lamar is trying to tap into what made West so dominant in the 2010s.

5 minutes ago, thefox said:

I can't speak much on the region in the early 2000's. Were Cocke Co and Heritage in the region then? Having those two teams alone is like getting two extra bye weeks. They played Maryville, Fulton, Farragut, and Austin East who were no pushovers on and off during the 2010's. Scott Cummings and his staff made West the dominant team to create a talent disparity to their opponents. You could make the case that the regions are more competitive but that is on the coaches. I think Lamar is well aware of this and that is why he got Kevin Lane back. He was one of Cummings's most trusted assistants/called the defense. That makes me think Lamar is trying to tap into what made West so dominant in the 2010s.

Orrrrrrrr Kevin may be attempting to stage a coup d'etat for like the 3rd or 4th time

24 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

I was with you up until this point….. Cummings did more with less? I don’t think West has seen or will see again the amount of athletes they had on those ‘13 and ‘14 teams. Not anywhere close! How Cummings lost in ‘13 is beyond bewildering. Should have never been close in my opinion. What happened to Cummings at Cleveland? Why were they not better? I saw a couple of those Cleveland teams and they had more athletes than West overall in my opinion. I like Scott and think he did a great job at West, especially when it came to getting kids in school there.