5A Playoff 2021

Rhea Co.

1 hour ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Just not one team that’s heads above everyone else in either side of the state right now. In the west the next 2 weeks is going to be wild for region seeding for sure. Could make for some interesting first round matches up.

Yep...region 5 and 8 isn’t settled yet with any seed. Honestly region 7 isn’t settled yet either. Region 6 top 2 seeds pretty much settled if they win against the lesser teams. 3 and 4 isn’t settled yet

I am reminded of what former Marquette basketball coach Al McGuire used to say about the NCAA Tournament and it apples to football playoffs too:

1. You have to be healthy, avoid injuries to key players

2. Somebody has to get beat that can beat you. (Meaning a team you don't match up well with, gets beat by a team you can beat)

3. You have to get the breaks, not give them.  (The better team can lose if they have turnovers lost)

4, The last shot has to go in. (The two point conversion or field goal with seconds left) Overtime is a toss up)

This applies in most playoffs, except where there is a Maryville or somebody like that who is dominant. 

• Upvote 1

5A standings entering Week 10 according to the Tennessean:

1. Knox West

2. Page

3. Powell

4. Memphis Central

5. Knox Central

6. Green Hill

7. Station Camp

8. Mount Juliet

9. Springfield

10. Munford

West, Powell, Station Camp, and Green Hill have all beaten three teams with a winning record.

Page, Memphis Central, Knoxville Central, Springfield, and Munford have beaten two teams with a winning record.

And my Mount Juliet Golden Bears have only beaten one team with a winning record. 

I'm curious what you all think about this.

24 minutes ago, thefox said:

1. Knox West

2. Page

3. Powell

4. Memphis Central

5. Knox Central

6. Green Hill

7. Station Camp

8. Mount Juliet

9. Springfield

10. Munford

West, Powell, Station Camp, and Green Hill have all beaten three teams with a winning record.

Page, Memphis Central, Knoxville Central, Springfield, and Munford have beaten two teams with a winning record.

And my Mount Juliet Golden Bears have only beaten one team with a winning record. 

My take is that 5A is incredibly weak. Possibly weaker than 3A & 4A this year. IMO

14 minutes ago, thefox said:

1. Knox West

2. Page

3. Powell

4. Memphis Central

5. Knox Central

6. Green Hill

7. Station Camp

8. Mount Juliet

9. Springfield

10. Munford

Can't help the scheduling sometimes! Not meaning to be disrespectful but you have the "Haves" and the "Have Nots". Demographics mean a lot when it comes to the number of athletes teams have or don't have.

2 hours ago, thefox said:

1. Knox West

2. Page

3. Powell

4. Memphis Central

5. Knox Central

6. Green Hill

7. Station Camp

8. Mount Juliet

9. Springfield

10. Munford

That’s about right for  Springfield 

• Upvote 1