Haywood @ south Gibson!!

Kruger77

On 10/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, stacmot said:

Haywood has scored 307 points this season for an average of 43.86 ppg.  The Tomcats have allowed 59 points for an average of 8.43 ppg.

South Gibson has scored 161 points this season for an average of 26.83 ppg.  The Hornets have allowed 128 points for an average of 21.33 ppg.

The Tomcats and Hornets have 3 opponents in common:
Lexington - The Tomcats defeated Lexington 16-0.  The Hornets defeated the Tigers 24-21.
Milan - The Tomcats defeated Milan 40-7, The Hornets defeated the Bulldogs 44-41.
North Side - The Tomcats defeated NS 56-18, The Hornets suffered a last second  loss to the Indians by a score of 30-27.

The Hornets have scored 101 points against the Tomcats over the past two seasons.  However, this a different season and the Tomcats' defensive line play has been stubborn to say the least. Will this be the year that Haywood shuts down SGC's running game?  I hope so.

Haywood's defensive secondary has been a bit questionable at times.  I know South Gibson can throw the ball well.  Will Haywood shore up its secondary in practice this week?  Once again, I hope so.

Haywood has had problems with penalties in the past.  The penalty problem has been much better in the last two games.  Just as we did against North Side and Lake County, we've got to keep penalties to a minimum Friday night.

Haywood could claim the Region 7 championship with a victory over South Gibson.  The Hornets would love nothing better than to defeat the Tomcats and possibly secure the Region 7 championship for themselves.  Just as I say every week, stay focused Tomcats!

No matter the outcome, “Win with humility, lose with grace, and do both with dignity.”

Great post.

SGC holds the all time record against the Tomcats with a record of 3-1. The one loss the Hornets suffered came in the 2019 season. The Tomcats won that contest 50-49. This is the best football game I have ever been a part of in any compacity. I do not remember who said this, but someone said " it's a d@$% shame one of these teams had to lose " 

Don't know if the hornets can run with cats this year, but I know they will have to come to Gibson county ready to play. 

Since nobody has posted this, I will:

Massey predicts - Haywood 27, SGC 21

I am surprised that this comes out this close.

Sonny-Moore, however shows Haywood 139, SCG 117. That’s a 22 point difference, but SGC gets 2 points from Moore because the game is in Medina. That makes the point spread 20.

Not having seen Haywood play this season in person, I can only rely on reports that they are much better than last year. That has been stated so many times that I’m buying into the hype. I’ll pick my neighbors in Brownsville to come home with the win.

20 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Since nobody has posted this, I will:

Massey predicts - Haywood 27, SGC 21

I am surprised that this comes out this close.

Sonny-Moore, however shows Haywood 139, SCG 117. That’s a 22 point difference, but SGC gets 2 points from Moore because the game is in Medina. That makes the point spread 20.

Not having seen Haywood play this season in person, I can only rely on reports that they are much better than last year. That has been stated so many times that I’m buying into the hype. I’ll pick my neighbors in Brownsville to come home with the win.

Don't forget Cal Preps Project A Matchup:
Haywood 42, South Gibson 21
That projection is for a neutral field, so I'll add 2 more points for SGC making it a 19 point difference.

South Gibson has had 2 weeks to get healthy and prepare for this game.  The Hornet offense has caused fits for Haywood over the last two years, so I think the game will be a lot closer than what Moore and Cal Preps predict.

On 9/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, stacmot said:

WOW, UNBELIEVABLE, where’s the defense?  A lot of words and expressions could be used to describe this game.  I would say that it’s a shame either team had to lose.  It was an amazing game, and both teams played their hearts out.  I tip my hat to South Gibson.  You have a first class program, and good luck to the Hornets going forward.

The quote above is a portion of a post that I made following the game in 2019.  I did say that it was a shame either team had to lose, but I don't think you were referring to my statement.  I didn't use any expletives!

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Great post.

SGC holds the all time record against the Tomcats with a record of 3-1. The one loss the Hornets suffered came in the 2019 season. The Tomcats won that contest 50-49. This is the best football game I have ever been a part of in any compacity. I do not remember who said this, but someone said " it's a d@$% shame one of these teams had to lose " 

Don't know if the hornets can run with cats this year, but I know they will have to come to Gibson county ready to play. 

I didn't do it intentionally.  Well, maybe I did.  I didn't want to mention that SGC leads the series 3-1.  That's just not a good look for Haywood!

The SGC victories in 2011 and 2012 came during a period that I refer to as the "Dark Ages" of Haywood football.  Between 2009 (following the departure of Coach Stowe) and 2014, the Tomcats won 22 games and lost 33.  We had 5 losing seasons during that time.  In fact, Haywood only won one game in 2011.  When Coach Hookfin arrived in 2015, he began to "right the ship!"

I don't know if it was due to the distractions of homecoming, Covid disruptions,  or some other things that were going on,   but Haywood obviously did not come to play in last year's  game.  Ironically, that game seemed to have been a wake up call for Haywood.  The Tomcats started to play lights out after that embarrassing 35-52 defeat.

I think the prognosticators are wrong.  I see this year's game as being a lot closer than what they are predicting.  I think we'll come to the bustling city of Medina ready to play.  Good luck to both teams.

7 hours ago, stacmot said:

I didn't do it intentionally.  Well, maybe I did.  I didn't want to mention that SGC leads the series 3-1.  That's just not a good look for Haywood!

Dang man, SGC has a respectable football program. Coach Stidham and company have done a great job getting the most out of his kids and anyone that plays them will have to show up ready to play because they will play hard. This makes our program sound like they are a joke or subpar to play with the best... I understand that we have not played for a gold ball, we are still a pretty young program, but we play hard and have beaten some really good football teams in the past several years. We are used to playing the best week in and out.  

I am pretty sure that a team from our region has played for the gold ball for the past several years. Ask your neighbors at Covington if they look forward to playing the Hornets. 

Haywood has a bunch of stuff that we do not have... Size, speed, agility, athletes, history, D1 prospects.... I could go on and on... SGC has a bunch of kids that will give it their best shot every play and play that way to the last whistle. 

I just hope it is a clean game and refs are not involved too much. Good luck to the Tomcats. Everyone knows this is going to be an uphill battle for the little hornets out of Medina. 

Edited by ManOfMillions