Dobyns-Bennett travels to Murvil to take on Willy B

TribalEmpire

Just now, JustAnotherFootballFan said:

Roughly 85 on the roster sophomores through seniors, but only about 36 contribute.  The rest of the players are window dressing.

Absolutely. Anytime you have a roster that big, there's a lot of, as you say, window dressing players who only play in blowouts. Having 35 or so who you aren't afraid to play at any point in any game is really about all you need. That said, if you start getting some injuries, it hurts depth regardless of how many you have filling out the roster. Our grandson is one of the injured right now. 

5 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Absolutely. Anytime you have a roster that big, there's a lot of, as you say, window dressing players who only play in blowouts. Having 35 or so who you aren't afraid to play at any point in any game is really about all you need. That said, if you start getting some injuries, it hurts depth regardless of how many you have filling out the roster. Our grandson is one of the injured right now. 

JD...wasn't trying to slight any of the players on the roster or the ones that get an opportunity to contribute.  Just wanted to let the masses know the roster isn't always as big as it appears.  I hope your grandson gets better and back on the field soon.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JustAnotherFootballFan said:

JD...wasn't trying to slight any of the players on the roster or the ones that get an opportunity to contribute.  Just wanted to let the masses know the roster isn't always as big as it appears.  I hope your grandson gets better and back on the field soon.

Understood. Roster size doesn't mean much unless you're running extremely low on players, like some of the smaller Class A schools where many kids play both ways. 

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Not sure what website you looked at, but the school website says they have 85, which is a huge difference, but I'd say way closer to being correct than 53. I never personally counted them along the sidelines though.

https://athletics.k12k.com/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=573072&type=d&pREC_ID=1068053

53 is still plenty though if you have 35 or so that are capable of playing at any given point in any game. The two biggest schools in our area have enrollments of nearly 3K students, but have football rosters just under 50 players. I don't know if they limit the number of players that make a roster, but there's not a kid on either of those teams that looks like they don't belong on a football field, and both teams are ranked in the top 10 of Class 8A.

It was M-a-x-P-r-e-p-s. Wouldn't let me post the name without the dashes on CoachT for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

It was M-a-x-P-r-e-p-s. Wouldn't let me post the name without the dashes on CoachT for some reason. 

I use MP some for schedules, but their rosters are really unreliable. I try to use their rosters down here because most schools don't sell game programs, but most of the time, they're inaccurate. I think the school MP sites are maintained by fans and/or coaching staff members, so accuracy can really be spotty. 

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFootballFan said:

And if we are being honest, that is the case at most schools not named Maryville, Oakland, Greeneville or Alcoa.

Truth. I can’t speak for the others but at murvil I have watched a real investment in the window dressing kids. There is no doubt that 1-3 stud transfers will improve the team.  However, investing in  25-35 kids (who can’t help the team just yet) often results in a handful or two of juniors/seniors who are bigger, stronger, faster, and committed 
Most (not all lol) anybody can coach the studs and win. The trick is getting enough of the others to help the program get over the hump. IMO - It is always sweeter hearing success stories about those kids anyway.

DB had 92 varsity (SOPH,JR,SR) to start season and over 50 on the Freshman team. Numbers are good...just not a great senior class and very little experience. They are learning to play football. Guarantee DB wins this game.... 42-7 sounds right. 

That does not mean I think this team is good enough to go on the road and win a playoff game at Bradley Central...and that will be the matchup because DB can't beat SH (this year) and BC can't beat Maryville. Next year DB will be a much better team. 

Fantastic Freshman tailback...kinda like Swafford was. I would play him now. Anybody know who starts at QB this week? That will be the most interesting call. Next year... the current JV QB will pass up both of these Junior QB's. He is a scrambler and a leader.