Week 9 - Oak Ridge at Karns

CardinalGrey

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

At closing in, if not @ 70, I believe it’s time for ole Joe to hang it up and enjoy the rest of his life peacefully. He’s put in so much time and effort through the years for the big OR, and as a fan who knows him and grew up with his son, I truly appreciate everything he has done for the program from the bottom of my heart. But, you have to wonder if it’s time to bring in a younger fella to pump some new lifeblood into the OR program.

Good post Sweet. It needed to be said. Sad though.

I'm not saying it is time for Joe to go but he sure looked worn out after last season too. I hope he does what is best for him.

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

At closing in, if not @ 70, I believe it’s time for ole Joe to hang it up and enjoy the rest of his life peacefully. He’s put in so much time and effort through the years for the big OR, and as a fan who knows him and grew up with his son, I truly appreciate everything he has done for the program from the bottom of my heart. But, you have to wonder if it’s time to bring in a younger fella to pump some new lifeblood into the OR program.

Yes, it is past time.

• Thanks 1

The program is bigger than just one guy, and at this point, the whole program just looks dead in the water. With the talent we have on this team at the skill positions, there’s simply no excuse for us to be as bad as we are. The whole program needs to be rejuvenated, IMO. We just don’t and haven’t looked like a well coached team throughout this season. Hopefully if some changes are made, Joe can still be an integral part of the program in some capacity or another. I’m not sure in what form that would be, but he does deserve it with as much time and effort he’s put into it through the years.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

The program is bigger than just one guy, and at this point, the whole program just looks dead in the water. With the talent we have on this team at the skill positions, there’s simply no excuse for us to be as bad as we are. The whole program needs to be rejuvenated, IMO. We just don’t and haven’t looked like a well coached team throughout this season. Hopefully if some changes are made, Joe can still be an integral part of the program in some capacity or another. I’m not sure in what form that would be, but he does deserve it with as much time and effort he’s put into it through the years.

Completely agree, SS.

This may be harsh, but from an outsider's perspective (one who also works in OR), what is going on with the football program isn't that different from what is going on in the city of Oak Ridge.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Completely agree, SS.

This may be harsh, but from an outsider's perspective (one who also works in OR), what is going on with the football program isn't that different from what is going on in the city of Oak Ridge.

Its not that deep.We just cant wait and pickup football few months before season.We have enough talent sometimes to get away with it but not years like this.We need someone who is gonna commit to these kids getting better year around.I love my city and know they will get it right.Gaddis hasnt been perfect but he has had some really good teams in second time around.We just need to take the next step and see what we can do making these kids go all in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Opie Shaggnasty said:

I have been saying this for years.

I respect OR's history (and posters like SS); they still offer a tremendous academic advantage, and they continue to have talent that most programs would kill to have year in and year out. But when you look at the overall landscape of OR, I just don't know how much longer that will last. You can't simply put on that uniform, show up on gameday, thump your chest, and expect to win 78% of your games forever. OR's population curve has been flat for quite some time, and when you have a median age of nearly 44 (that is incredibly high), you're in trouble if you aren't doing anything constructive to attract more young, middle class families.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I respect OR's history (and posters like SS); they still offer a tremendous academic advantage, and they continue to have talent that most programs would kill to have year in and year out. But when you look at the overall landscape of OR, I just don't know how much longer that will last. You can't simply put on that uniform, show up on gameday, thump your chest, and expect to win 78% of your games forever. OR's population curve has been flat for quite some time, and when you have a median age of nearly 44 (that is incredibly high), you're in trouble if you aren't doing anything constructive to attract more young, middle class families.

I understand what you’re saying, but Oak Ridge will always have talent, frankly because a lot of it comes from 1 small area of the city. I could go into specifics, but I think you know what I mean without having to do that haha. Actually, the city is slowly coming around in terms of the median age range. The school has actually grown the past few years, to be honest (we may find ourselves in 6A again soon, unfortunately, BTW.) It’s a cycle with things like that. 

BTW, we may not have things to attract the young families with kids, but in all reality you don’t really have to because OR still holds a very strategic place in that area because of the location of the city. I mean, West Knoxville is a simple hop & skip away and right over the hill. You can live right there within easy driving distance without having to deal with the hustle and bustle of West Knoxville, so it does have its advantages there. As far as the age range, it can only go down from here, as the older crowd continues to die off. It’s still a wonderful place to raise a family. And as you said, the academics speak for themselves.

High school football in TN is just a completely different animal these days. Back in the older days, you didn’t have kids transferring back and forth from school to school like you do now, and frankly OR is at a pretty distinct disadvantage when it comes to that because of our location, not to mention our extremely high tuition, which is much higher than other schools. The West kids who transferred in this year is a rarity @ OR. Yeah, we get our occasional transfer like Middleton and the West kids, but if you do it, you have to live in OR city, whereas in some places like Powell, you don’t have to because of how the zoning alignments are in Knox County now. Most every year, we just have to wing it with mostly born and raised OR city kids.  Not saying y’all are recruiting BTW, just giving an example. 

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1