Week 9 - Oak Ridge at Karns

CardinalGrey

Talked to a player from last season (said he graduated 2020).  Asked him from a players pov about all the speculation I’m reading on this thread about Gaddis and weightlifting etc.  He said YES it IS mandatory and the DC Minor (spelling?) is in charge of the weight program.  However, he said there are exceptions to the rule.  For example Kendall Jackson doesn’t necessarily have to be there since he works out separately with trainers and his Dad apparently.  Also he stated others as  well that have a pass.  He also said that Gaddis doesn’t really coach and that he leaves everything up to his staff.  Having said that he clarified that Gaddis doesn’t just do nothing…he said he’s a great leader and he “knows players like the back of his hand” and “remembers every player in detail he has ever coached”.  He said players love him.  Just my 2 cents.  Thought I’d share what this young man said.

• Like 1

No doubt this has been a hard season for OR. Losing two close games at home to start the season was a downer for this team which is very young, both the South-Doyle and Bearden games were winnable. A win at Clinton was good, but they really struggled to get that. Then they went to Farragut and as in past few years over there, a slow start doomed them, getting behind early, only two recovered onside kicks gave them the points to make it look closer than it was. They beat an outmanned Lenoir City team fairly easily, and got a bye week after that. Powell definately had more talent on the field than OR, but the big killer in that game was the interception before half that gave Powell a short field and a score for a 21-7 lead instead of 14-7 at half. Not that they would have beaten Powell, but it might have been closer in the second half, The defense played pretty good until they just got worn out the second half. Take a trip up to Greeneville to play the best team on the schedule and maybe the best team in East Tennessee with the exception of Maryville (and that game would be a dandy). OR got down early, just not having the athletes to deal with the speed of Greeneville on both sides of the ball, yet they showed a ray of hope in the second half, moving the ball and getting a TD. Then Karns, they appeared to be on the way to having that game well in hand at 21-7, when a turnover gave the Beavers a spark and instead of being 28-7 at half, it was 21-14, and the Beavers came out fast the second half, Bishop was a big factor, but they had some other guys that made big plays as well, they converted some 3rd and 4th downs for big plays and scores and it went to 35-21 before the WIldcat offense answered, but came up short. Now they have DB, which won 5 games early against some average teams before getting dumped by Greeneville 35-7, then a disappointing loss to Jefferson County cost them a shot at the Region Championship. The last game will be a good Campbell County team, that narrowly lost to Karns and always is well coached and play hard. That game will decide the 3-4 slots in the playoffs. The 4 team would go to the winner of the Region south of us, the 3 team would go to the 2 team. 

The point of all of this is that this team could have easily been 5-3 right now, its one of those years that the schedule is very tough, even teams like Karns and Campbell County are better than normal, and OR is young and green in spots, The lines are a big reason as while they have size, they do not appear to be able to block for runs inside the tackles and get much pressure on defense on passers. Games are won and lost up front, that is where it starts. So, youth, schedule, lines and there you are. I mention the secondary as well, very few interceptions and seem to let a lot of balls get caught over them, a big one at Karns in the 3rd quarter on 3rd and 19 was a killer. Certainly coaching plays a part and I am sure that they know all this I have stated, what happens there remains to be seen and beyond my crystal balls ability to tell. One thing I have noticed over the years since about 2005, is that OR always seems it lacksa piece that it needs to be a complete football team, whether it be a quarterback, O or D Line, or secondary.  They certainly need to increase the numbers of players to try to find guys to fill in the missing piece each season. 

Well, Kingsport DB will be here Friday night, they have won the last two meetings and have narrowed the Oak Ridge lead in the series dating back to 1961 at one game. I hope the guys sell out and play hard, nothing to lose football, and I hope people will come out and support them despite their record, because they will remember that next season. 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Way late on this post, but I do believe that I want to at least weight in so to speak lol. I wrestled NAIA competed against some of the best wrestler over all a crossed the divisions and felt great about my college wrestling experience. I think people make the mistake in believe that wrestling some how gets easier as a sport at the smaller college divisions it doesn't the training is mostly the same. I have that on good authority from a coach who was a D1 all-American. it's more the commitment level of the competitors that is different. There is talented wrestlers that can go D1 at any level in the smaller division. sub in Sammy Shires for one he would have done fine on a DI team. He chose a work life ratio that suited him. It's not about talent it's commitment are you going to make training and studying the sport the center of your world cause that's what it takes: NO MATTER HOW TALATENTED BEFORE HAND YOU ARE.  If so then D1 is for you and striving for success at that level is for you like Mr. Palmer said it's what your willing to put in. Now coaches if you have a successful wrestler who fits that bill then by all means D1 is a great option they will see some success no matter how small, but if they are not that committed along with being talented and a killer and you know it then your doing them wrong.  You don't have to tell athletes that you don't think they are D1 tell them to keep their options open to take all their visits to consider all the divisions regardless of their goals. college recruiting visits have you most times wrestle against their current wrestlers coaches and athletes  will find out real quick it's not easy no matter where you go. That way when they make their decision it's a sound one that's based on well rounded experiences.     BobCorker, and oceansize42 I believe what you are thinking is correct but for different reasons. TN wrestler's have the talent... it's a commitment level change. TN wrestlers aren't used to having to put themselves through the level of commitment required and kills them on the D1 level.    WrestlingGod, I agree you should push kids to pursue their dreams, but not at the cost of common sense period... we have to much of that going around this country already. Dreams can turn to poison when these wrestler are not educated on what it truly takes. In TN  a kid who understands wrestling to a high level can be successful with small amounts of hard work. They think their definition of hard work is enough for D1 that is the mistake not the "talent/understanding".  Over-all though we do not celebrate NAIA,D2,D3, or Juco success in this state like other states do. GA/AL celebrates all it's college wrestlers success a crossed the  board no matter the division. Why? because it's hard... I have gone to all the divisions National championships let me tell you to be a all-American at any is impressive especially D2 or NAIA. those guys can scrap and not one of those AA's are an easy match. all of them were state placers or champs multiple times in their high school careers. does that at all sound easy to place at? TN does not give those guys enough credit or shout outs period. it's an over sight because of this D1 or it's less than meaningless   mentality on this site and in this state. GA/AL is better then us on the highest stage because they send guys to D2,NAIA,D3 ect. they come back understanding the sport better then their pervious coaches, and give back and that cycles to athletes readiness to go D1 with clearer understanding of what it takes to be competitive day 1 freshman year.             My post isn't to support one way or the other but to just consider that both sides have merit and that both work when the system in TN. by system I mean coaches are the better educated on preparing athletes for each level they want and should pursue.        
    • If you think McKenzie could've beat Riverside I have a bridge you might like to buy. 
    • Hate to hear Ricky is heading to the old folk's home!
    • By recruiting, I mean members of a coaching staff are talking to, meeting with, giving tours, to students, and their guardians, that are not zoned for their school.    there’s no way that many non Bearden kids just showed up all at once without being recruited. It can’t be a coincidence that all those kids also went through the middle school all star game your boss puts on every year. 
    • Not sure how I would put it as recruiting perhaps kids trying to better their career by going to a head coach and coaching staff with connections all over college football that gets them the opportunity to go play college football and be coached by a coach with a pretty good track record.