Mcminn County at Walker Valley

Martymcfly

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s frustrating to watch WV struggle lately because WV has talent. Injuries? Yes, but they still have a bunch of talent. Akins refuses to run the ball and that is the problem. He doesn’t even try. During the three game losing stretch Akins has ran the ball less than five times a game. They used to run power, heavy package, etc; however, since Carter, he stopped. The QB may be struggling, but when you face 5-6 DB  and every single play (like last night), the numbers are against you. They practiced motion, jet sweep and other plays designed to get their playmakers the ball during their bye week and this week, but he never called any of the plays.

Their defense is still really good. They caused 4-5 turnovers last night. Akins  needs to get his play calling together and start running the ball as it will open up the passing lanes.

2 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

It’s frustrating to watch WV struggle lately because WV has talent. Injuries? Yes, but they still have a bunch of talent. Akins refuses to run the ball and that is the problem. He doesn’t even try. During the three game losing stretch Akins has ran the ball less than five times a game. They used to run power, heavy package, etc; however, since Carter, he stopped. The QB may be struggling, but when you face 5-6 DB  and every single play (like last night), the numbers are against you. They practiced motion, jet sweep and other plays designed to get their playmakers the ball during their bye week and this week, but he never called any of the plays.

Their defense is still really good. They caused 4-5 turnovers last night. Akins  needs to get his play calling together and start running the ball as it will open up the passing lanes.

They caused that many turnovers and they still gave up 42 points??

31 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

They caused that many turnovers and they still gave up 42 points??

Yep. They weren’t able to capitalize on most of them.  I might be wrong but I think they only scored after one of those turnovers.  I agree with the WV play calling.  I’d not watched WV before last night and was shocked at the lack of running plays that were called.  WV has a really good team but until they’re handicapping themselves with not running the ball.

57 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Probably time to make a change huh??

8 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

Probably time to make a change huh??

Making a change by running power, jet sweep, etc 20 times a game instead of 4? Yes, make that change asap. You can not win consistently in football if you don’t run the ball. Putting that much pressure on a first year QB is taxing and it shows. Akins can still be pass heavy, but you have to be able to keep defenses honest. JMO. 

How WV people forget that they averaged 1 win per year the 3 years before Akins got there. He plays up vs Bradley & Cleveland.  Rhea & McMinn are really good teams. 
WV talent is average at best & they will finish 3rd. Not trying to take anything away from current QB (a good HS QB) but Pope was special & hard to replace. 
I do have a question for WV people, why is Jackson at receiver mostly & not RB. Seems to me like they need him to touch ball 25 times per game (but honestly I don’t follow them closely).

Edited by FootballFan51

5 minutes ago, FootballFan51 said:

How WV people forget that they averaged 1 win per year the 3 years before Akins got there. He plays up vs Bradley & Cleveland.  Rhea & McMinn are really good teams. 
WV talent is average at best & they will finish 3rd. Not trying to take anything away from current QB (a good HS QB) but Pope was special & hard to replace. 
I do have a question for WV people, why is Jackson at receiver mostly & not RB. Seems to me like they need him to touch ball 25 times per game (but honestly I don’t follow them closely).

Then you can’t really say talent is the average. It’s not (in regards to WV history).  WV has a ton of speed. 

And let’s not get carried away. None of this is personal. Just because I feel we need to run the ball more doesn’t mean WV folk want Akins gone. I just believe running the ball will help QB play as Lay is currently always facing 5 dbs. The program as a whole is definitely a lot better thanks to the admin, coaches, and parents… no doubt about it! 

Pope was special and was coached by his brother from peewee through high school. Great kid and family. Lay is a great athlete. He is a first year varsity starter at QB, and I just feel he’s being asked to do too much. Also great kid and family.

As far as Jackson is concerned. We are in agreement. I think they moved him to wr to get him the ball more in space. He touched the ball 4 times last night on offense.