1A Poll as requested by Roy Dillard

SportsnetWriter2

@Roy Dillard has tasked me with putting my opinion of a top 10 poll. So in honor of his request I give you my top 10 based on my knowledge of the teams in 1A.

1. Peabody (easily unanimous)

2. Fayetteville 

3. McKenzie 

4. Gordonsville

5. Cloudland 

6. South Pitt

7. Cornersville

8. Clay Co.

9. Middle College

10. Dresden/Coalfield

Honorable mention: Lake County (record doesn’t show it but talent wise they’re top 10 if they can put a full game together.) 

Deserves Respect: Oakdale without question  for a team that’s been historically bad, they’re sitting at 5-1 with a prime chance to make the playoffs in what’s usually one of the toughest regions in class A. They’re talent level isn’t anywhere near the level of any of the previous 11 mentioned but their work ethic can match anyone. They’re not a team you’ll likely see past the first week in November but they do deserve some recognition for their success this season and the culture change Coach Voyles has been able to implement there.

Championship game: If I had to choose today who would be playing for the gold ball it would be Peabody taking another gold ball over Gordy. Fayetteville could very well have something to say about that. In all reality I think the state title will be decided in the semis out west the day after Thanksgiving this year. 

Dark Horse: realistically I think Fayetteville is the only team capable of stopping the football machine out of Trenton Peabody. If we want to go down the rabbit hole and pick a dark horse then I think it’s got to be Cloudland or Cornersville. Both have solid teams and on the right night they could spark some magic. I don’t think its fitting to put McKenzie or SP as dark horses as both are solid teams and capable of making noise and it wouldn’t be near as much of shock to see them get a big win late in November as it would be the two teams I previously mentioned. 

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts, opinions, and comments on this. It’s always fun to break these things down!

9 minutes ago, SportsnetWriter2 said:

@Roy Dillard has tasked me with putting my opinion of a top 10 poll. So in honor of his request I give you my top 10 based on my knowledge of the teams in 1A.

2. Fayetteville 

3. McKenzie 

4. Gordonsville

5. Cloudland 

6. South Pitt

7. Cornersville

8. Clay Co.

9. Middle College

10. Dresden/Coalfield

Honorable mention: Lake County (record doesn’t show it but talent wise they’re top 10 if they can put a full game together.) 

Deserves Respect: Oakdale without question  for a team that’s been historically bad, they’re sitting at 5-1 with a prime chance to make the playoffs in what’s usually one of the toughest regions in class A. They’re talent level isn’t anywhere near the level of any of the previous 11 mentioned but their work ethic can match anyone. They’re not a team you’ll likely see past the first week in November but they do deserve some recognition for their success this season and the culture change Coach Voyles has been able to implement there.

Championship game: If I had to choose today who would be playing for the gold ball it would be Peabody taking another gold ball over Gordy. Fayetteville could very well have something to say about that. In all reality I think the state title will be decided in the semis out west the day after Thanksgiving this year. 

Dark Horse: realistically I think Fayetteville is the only team capable of stopping the football machine out of Trenton Peabody. If we want to go down the rabbit hole and pick a dark horse then I think it’s got to be Cloudland or Cornersville. Both have solid teams and on the right night they could spark some magic. I don’t think its fitting to put McKenzie or SP as dark horses as both are solid teams and capable of making noise and it wouldn’t be near as much of shock to see them get a big win late in November as it would be the two teams I previously mentioned. 

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts, opinions, and comments on this. It’s always fun to break these things down!

Clay beat the brakes off Cornersville?

12 minutes ago, H2Oman said:

Clay beat the brakes off Cornersville?

They did and it was certainly a very good win. It conflicted me on that with seeing how cornersville gave Fayetteville all they wanted. I take nothing away from Clay County as I think they’re a solid team. I’m just hesitant about being too high on them as they haven’t exactly been here before. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised though if they make noise. 

1 hour ago, SportsnetWriter2 said:

They did and it was certainly a very good win. It conflicted me on that with seeing how cornersville gave Fayetteville all they wanted. I take nothing away from Clay County as I think they’re a solid team. I’m just hesitant about being too high on them as they haven’t exactly been here before. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised though if they make noise. 

That is sound logic, except for the fact that they proved without a doubt to be better than Cornersville by demolishing them on the road. That alone prevents them from being ranked behind Cornersville.

4 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

That is sound logic, except for the fact that they proved without a doubt to be better than Cornersville by demolishing them on the road. That alone prevents them from being ranked behind Cornersville.

Yes head to head they won. I just think down the stretch that Cornersville would be beat them if and when the season is on the line. That’s just my opinion and it’s not worth too much lol. 

1 hour ago, SportsnetWriter2 said:

Writer man that is a good first pole.  As you get better your pole will be big as Murphys and that Hargis man.  Im not joking either.

32 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

Writer man that is a good first pole.  As you get better your pole will be big as Murphys and that Hargis man.  Im not joking either.

Thanks ole buddy! You’ll be the first to get a copy! I’m not sleeping on your pirates! If they can come around completely they have as a good chance as anyone to represent the east!

4 hours ago, SportsnetWriter2 said:

2. Fayetteville 

3. McKenzie 

4. Gordonsville

5. Cloudland 

6. South Pitt

7. Cornersville

8. Clay Co.

9. Middle College

10. Dresden/Coalfield

Good post!  It's good to see a team outside the top ten get recognition for their accomplishments.  Oakdale is definitely deserving and hats off to Coach Voyles for a job well done.  Considering what he has to work, I'd say he does a good of a job as any.

• Like 2

No mention of McKenzie other than ranked 3 and that’s fair. But to not have them in the discussion to be there is unjust. I guess the region we were placed in really does hurt us with the level of competition in it. None the less, that is why we play them. Going to be a fun week 11 thru 15.

• Like 1