Haywood vs Covington!!!

Kruger77

8 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

On this game last year one of our starting LB’s johnathan Forrest and his older brother who’s an assistant coach at Haywood had to leave the game at half due to there mother being in the hospital with Covid, she passed a few days later. This game is personal for this team this week

Let's go Tomcats.  Let's win this one for Johnathan and Coach Delk.

Man, this game has worried me for the past few weeks. Not being able to play last night will not help Covington as they needed all the prep they can get for this one. 

It aches me to pick against my boys, but I’m afraid that the run defense of Haywood will be too much and the deficiencies in our secondary will be exploited by their speed. Haywood, IMO, is easily the best team in west Tennessee and I think that they can win it all this year. Covington will have to be mistake free and provide a few surprises. 

I’m hoping that my pick will jinx Haywood but Haywood 28-14

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Covington and Brownsville are 21 miles apart.   The Covington - Brownsville (Haywood) game has always been a big event in both towns.  At times, classification has interrupted the rivalry, but the series was renewed last year as a result of Covid rescheduling.  When 2021 schedules were released, I was happy to see this game on the schedule, and I hope the series will continue after the 21-22 scheduling cycle.

I see this week's game as the game of the week in West Tennessee (maybe all of Tennessee).  As is usual for me, I've put together some of the statistical history of the rivalry below.

In 1970:
Byars Hall High School and Frazier High School were consolidated to form Covington High School.  
Haywood County High School and Carver High School were consolidated to form Haywood High School.
Counting pre-consolidation years. this will be the 84th meeting between schools from Covington and Brownsville.  Covington leads the overall series 34-46-3.

1922-1969 - Byars-Hall High School vs. Haywood County High School - Byars-Hall dominated the series 29-17-2
1970 thru Present - Covington High School vs. Haywood High School - The series is  tied at 17-17-1
Covington and Haywood did not play in the years: 1985-1990, 1995-1996, 1999-2002, 2015-2019

Last Meeting:  Covington 20, Haywood 13 on Aug. 27, 2020.  This  game was scheduled as a result of Covid cancellations.  Prior to last year's meeting, the two teams had not met since Sept. 19, 2014  when Haywood defeated Covington 14-12

Haywood has played in the TSSAA Class 4-A semifinals the last 4 years, advancing to the state championship in 2018 and 2020.
Covington has played in the TSSAA Class 3-A semifinal three times in the last 4 years, advancing to the state championship game in 2017.

Overall, Haywood has advanced to the semifinals  a total of 6 times.  Covington has advanced to the semifinals a total of 11 times.
Although neither team has won a state championship, Haywood has played in 4 state championship games.  Covington has played in 6

Between 2017 - 2021 the two teams have maintained somewhat similar overall records. In that time frame,  Haywood has won 51 games and lost 14, Covington has won 52 games and lost 10.

2017 - Haywood 11-3   Covington 13-2
2018 - Haywood 10-5  Covington 14-1
2019 - Haywood 12-2  Covington 11-3
2020 - Haywood 10-4  Covington 8-3
2021 - Haywood 8-0. Covington 6-1

Haywood is coached by Chris Smith - 2019-2021, 30--6
Covington is coached by J.R Kirby -  2019-2021, 25-6   

Covington's opponents have a 33-23 record.
Haywood's opponents have a 25-34 record.

The Chargers and Tomcats have one opponent in common.  Covington defeated North Side by a score of 48-20, while the Tomcats defeated the Indians by a score of 56-18.

Covington went to the 3A title game in 2018 as well. 

1 minute ago, Chargercats said:

I can not wait for this game!!! Having played for the chargers and now living in Haywood,, this will be a win win for me!! I love both teams!! I expect a 7 point game. Hope both teams come out injury fee! What’s cool is that both teams have a really good chance to make it to Chattanooga!! That will be awesome! 

Has your son got his Charger/Tomcat gear ready?  I would like to see both teams make it to Chattanooga.  That would definitely be awesome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks BPM.  I just corrected my original post to indicate that.  I'm surprised that @CHARGERFAN didn't catch that.

I just left that out to see if anyone actually reads my posts...lol.

Well, Stacmot, I did miss that. I have 3 grandkids I need to watch in person today, and got distracted. They are playing soccer, baseball, and running cross country. I’m also trying to squeeze in a couple of college football games on TV.

I skimmed your post, but wasn’t “grading it for accuracy”. The Chargers did play Alcoa in Cookeville in 2017 and 2018. We got closer the last time (21-14, as I recall) than anybody has come to them recently in the title game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stacmot said:

Has your son got his Charger/Tomcat gear ready?  I would like to see both teams make it to Chattanooga.  That would definitely be awesome.

Lol. Yea!  He claims he is going to wear both!!  His momma will try to persuade him otherwise!! Oh well!! Going to be an exciting game!! 
Go Chargers!! 
Go Tomcats!! 

• Like 1