Haywood vs Covington!!!

Kruger77

8 minutes ago, Chargercats said:

Lol. Yea!  He claims he is going to wear both!!  His momma will try to persuade him otherwise!! Oh well!! Going to be an exciting game!! 
Go Chargers!! 
Go Tomcats!! 

You predicted a 42-14 victory for Haywood in the South Gibson game.  That was a 28 point difference.  Although it wasn't a 42-14 score,  Haywood did win the game by 28.  That's pretty good.  What's your prediction for this week's game?

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Well, Stacmot, I did miss that. I have 3 grandkids I need to watch in person today, and got distracted. They are playing soccer, baseball, and running cross country. I’m also trying to squeeze in a couple of college football games on TV.

I skimmed your post, but wasn’t “grading it for accuracy”. The Chargers did play Alcoa in Cookeville in 2017 and 2018. We got closer the last time (21-14, as I recall) than anybody has come to them recently in the title game.

I remember making a post at the time  (2018) in which I had stated 5 towns or cities that had  schools that were part of the old Big Ten Conference were playing for state championships.  

2A - Peabody
3A - Covington
4A - Haywood
5A - Henry Co.  (Paris Grove was a Big Ten member prior to the opening of Henry Co. High.)
Division II, Class 3A -  MUS (The Owls were a member of the revamped Big 10 in the 70s.)

Of the five, Peabody was the only one to bring home a gold ball.

An any rate, I was just kidding with you when I made that statement.  I know you know all of those stats.  I do too.  I just didn't catch it before I posted it.  Sounds like those grandkids are keeping you busy and young.  

40 minutes ago, stacmot said:

You predicted a 42-14 victory for Haywood in the South Gibson game.  That was a 28 point difference.  Although it wasn't a 42-14 score,  Haywood did win the game by 28.  That's pretty good.  What's your prediction for this week's game?

Lol. Lucky guess!  Not sure. I mentioned earlier I think it will be a 7 point game. If it is a blow out, I think the tomcats will be on top. I can’t see the Tomcat D allowing a blowout being that their run defense is as strong as it is. 
I hope the the stadium is packed on both sides and louder than it has ever been from both fans!! 

@Chargercats You did say that, and I'm sorry I didn't realize you had.  I guess I had a senior moment. 

I don't like to predict Haywood scores, but I think it will be a good close game as well.  I hope it is a packed stadium too.  That will definitely up the atmosphere, and also give us some needed money.  As you know, we only had 2 regular season home games last year.

Go Tomcats!

Edited by stacmot

On 10/16/2021 at 6:10 AM, stacmot said:

Covington and Brownsville are 21 miles apart.   The Covington - Brownsville (Haywood) game has always been a big event in both towns.  At times, classification has interrupted the rivalry, but the series was renewed last year as a result of Covid rescheduling.  When 2021 schedules were released, I was happy to see this game on the schedule, and I hope the series will continue after the 21-22 scheduling cycle.

I see this week's game as the game of the week in West Tennessee (maybe all of Tennessee).  As is usual for me, I've put together some of the statistical history of the rivalry below.

In 1970:
Byars Hall High School and Frazier High School were consolidated to form Covington High School.  
Haywood County High School and Carver High School were consolidated to form Haywood High School.
Counting pre-consolidation years. this will be the 84th meeting between schools from Covington and Brownsville.  Covington leads the overall series 34-46-3.

1922-1969 - Byars-Hall High School vs. Haywood County High School - Byars-Hall dominated the series 29-17-2
1970 thru Present - Covington High School vs. Haywood High School - The series is  tied at 17-17-1
Covington and Haywood did not play in the years: 1985-1990, 1995-1996, 1999-2002, 2015-2019

Last Meeting:  Covington 20, Haywood 13 on Aug. 27, 2020.  This  game was scheduled as a result of Covid cancellations.  Prior to last year's meeting, the two teams had not met since Sept. 19, 2014  when Haywood defeated Covington 14-12

Haywood has played in the TSSAA Class 4-A semifinals the last 4 years, advancing to the state championship in 2018 and 2020.
Covington has played in the TSSAA Class 3-A semifinal three times in the last 4 years, advancing to the state championship game in 2017 and 2018.

Overall, Haywood has advanced to the semifinals  a total of 6 times.  Covington has advanced to the semifinals a total of 11 times.
Although neither team has won a state championship, Haywood has played in 4 state championship games.  Covington has played in 6

Between 2017 - 2021 the two teams have maintained somewhat similar overall records. In that time frame,  Haywood has won 51 games and lost 14, Covington has won 52 games and lost 10.

2017 - Haywood 11-3   Covington 13-2
2018 - Haywood 10-5  Covington 14-1
2019 - Haywood 12-2  Covington 11-3
2020 - Haywood 10-4  Covington 8-3
2021 - Haywood 8-0. Covington 6-1

Haywood is coached by Chris Smith - 2019-2021, 30--6
Covington is coached by J.R Kirby -  2019-2021, 25-6   

Covington's opponents have a 33-23 record.
Haywood's opponents have a 25-34 record.

The Chargers and Tomcats have one opponent in common.  Covington defeated North Side by a score of 48-20, while the Tomcats defeated the Indians by a score of 56-18.

I love the history that you share!!! Not just this game but on all games!! Very interesting to read! Question, when was the last time the Tomcats went undefeated and only lost in playoffs? We’re they undefeated in 94-95 other than the championships? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chargercats said:

I love the history that you share!!! Not just this game but on all games!! Very interesting to read! Question, when was the last time the Tomcats went undefeated and only lost in playoffs? We’re they undefeated in 94-95 other than the championships? 

Yes 94-95 was the last time 

7 hours ago, Chargercats said:

Thanks!  I enjoy reading your posts.

This may be more than you wanted, but what the heck!  A lot of my info comes from personal experience as a former player and as a fan, Dr. Robert Rooks' "100 Years of Haywood Tomcat Football", the Alabama High School Football Database, and the Tennessee High School Football Historical Society.

Of the two internet sites that I use, I consider the Alabama High School Football Database  much more user friendly. Unfortunately, updates are no longer included for future research and the 2021 season for the state of Tennessee at that site. But for now, you can find historical data prior to 2021.

Haywood's team page
Covington's team page

You can find past as well as current records at the Tennessee High School Football Historical Society  (It's a good site, and you can find more information.  But, I don't consider it as easy to navigate as the AHSFHS site.)

Haywood's team page
 Covington's team page 

Haywood's 94 team finished the season 13-2 losing 7-10 to Collierville in the regular season, and to Cleveland 6-7 in the state championship game.
Haywood's 95 team finished the season 14-1 losing to Cleveland by a score of 3-14 in the state championship game.

I apologize for the broken link to the Alabama High School Football Database site.  I'm working on it.  I think I have it fixed now.

Go Tomcats!

Edited by stacmot

3 minutes ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

A good rushing offense against a stingy rushing Defense. Who will win the battle upfront? In the loss to Dyersburg the Chargers still managed to rush for 337 yards. I think this game will come down to the team who can stop the big plays. 

After the Covington game was cancelled vs. Dyer County last Friday, I caught the last part of the Haywood -SGC game on 95.3. From what I heard, the Haywood defense was “ bend but don’t break”. Apparently SGC moved the ball at times (from what I heard, mostly the QB around the ends). But, Haywood was able to keep them out of the end zone.

Here’s a piece of data for you. In this game last year, Covington fullback Eumorrion Flowers had a field day running up the middle. This year, Flowers has been moved to the defensive line and has not had a single carry at running back, as far as I recall. Do you think Coach Kirby might have a secret weapon there to use Friday night?

28 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

After the Covington game was cancelled vs. Dyer County last Friday, I caught the last part of the Haywood -SGC game on 95.3. From what I heard, the Haywood defense was “ bend but don’t break”. Apparently SGC moved the ball at times (from what I heard, mostly the QB around the ends). But, Haywood was able to keep them out of the end zone.

Here’s a piece of data for you. In this game last year, Covington fullback Eumorrion Flowers had a field day running up the middle. This year, Flowers has been moved to the defensive line and has not had a single carry at running back, as far as I recall. Do you think Coach Kirby might have a secret weapon there to use Friday night?

Thatd be interesting. South gibson’s success came on jet sweeps, and busted plays where the QB scrambled for his life. The dive was not a factor. I think south Gibson broke a dive up the guy once for about 20, after that it was non existent. If you want to watch the game you can on Facebook on the SGC hornet football page 

Edited by Tomcatfan2011