Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

First off there is no right or wrong answers, it's only a matter of opinions. I'd be the first to say I only been keeping up with the depth of TN since 2005, the locals like Db, sh, Betsy, TN high, Greeneville, etc, I've been keeping up a lot longer. I know TN has/had a lot of great teams but what Oakland has/is doing the last two seasons is this Oakland team the best ever to hit TN, I'm am aware that Oakland could have lost twice this season against two dominant private schools this year, listening to the Oakland announcers talk about how Cpa looks like a college team I thought Oakland was definitely in trouble but they pulled it out.

I mostly hear people say the 94 Riverdale team is the best ever in TN and I'm not doubting it but when I read an article about them and seen they barely beat DB something around 26-21 personally it's hard for me to put them 1st

Best team ever? No. Top 10? Maybe. IMO, 94 Riverdale and maybe 04 Riverdale were better. This is all irrelevant if they don't win state, which isn't a lock. They beat DB 28-0. Only game that they won by less than 14 was the title game against Germantown, which was a great team as well. The good old days when private and public schools played each other

Edited by MidTennFootball
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Best team ever? No. Top 10? Maybe. IMO, 94 Riverdale and maybe 04 Riverdale were better. This is all irrelevant if they don't win state, which isn't a lock. They beat DB 28-0. Only game that they won by less than 14 was the title game against Germantown, which was a great team as well. The good old days when private and public schools played each other

The publics and privates should still be playing each other.  Just look at the attendance for the Oakland vs Lipscomb game!  There is a high probability that the state championship game will not have has many fans.  The split between the public and private schools has  done nothing more than water down high school athletics in Tennessee.  Based on population alone Tennessee should not have more than a total of five divisions in football.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

First off there is no right or wrong answers, it's only a matter of opinions. I'd be the first to say I only been keeping up with the depth of TN since 2005, the locals like Db, sh, Betsy, TN high, Greeneville, etc, I've been keeping up a lot longer. I know TN has/had a lot of great teams but what Oakland has/is doing the last two seasons is this Oakland team the best ever to hit TN, I'm am aware that Oakland could have lost twice this season against two dominant private schools this year, listening to the Oakland announcers talk about how Cpa looks like a college team I thought Oakland was definitely in trouble but they pulled it out.

I mostly hear people say the 94 Riverdale team is the best ever in TN and I'm not doubting it but when I read an article about them and seen they barely beat DB something around 26-21 personally it's hard for me to put them 1st

The 95 Riverdale team beat DB 28-0 in the 2nd round.
DB was 9-2 that year and Riverdale finished 15-0.
Riverdale outscored opponents 620-58 for a 41-4 per game average.
The Riverdale/DB game was actually pretty close when you consider the numbers above...

• Like 1

Just now, cbg said:

The publics and privates should still be playing each other.  Just look at the attendance for the Oakland vs Lipscomb game!  There is a high probability that state championship game will not have has many fans.  The split between the public and private schools and watered down high school athletics in Tennessee.  Based on population alone Tennessee should not have more than a total of five divisions.

I don't disagree. I would be ok with 6. Getting to the playoffs used to mean something

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

The publics and privates should still be playing each other.  Just look at the attendance for the Oakland vs Lipscomb game!  There is a high probability that the state championship game will not have has many fans.  The split between the public and private schools has  done nothing more than water down high school athletics in Tennessee.  Based on population alone Tennessee should not have more than a total of five divisions in football.  

They can and do play each other.  Plenty of opportunities to play non region against each other.  

But they shouldn't come playoff time.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, cbg said:

yeah.  We tried that, and that whole recruiting thing got in the way...

31 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

A WHOLE lot more recruiting going on now than there ever was then. Only now it isn't just privates but publics too. 

i can't speak for everywhere, but the privates have gone whole hog since joining DV II, and that wasn't previously the case.  Not even comparable.  You think it's an accident that Knox Catholic Basketball has so many big-time recruits?  i mean a couple of them moved in from Africa even.  That couldn't happen when they were playing D1.  

5 minutes ago, TnBear said:

One of the Cleveland teams in the early 90s may have something to say about it. 

Benny Monroe had three great years in a row!!!  They were awesome.  My poor Eagles tried to keep up with them, but they had too much talent, it was at the end of the late Bill Horton's career.  Watched a lot of Cleveland /Rhea county games.