Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

21 hours ago, Haydiboy said:

No kidding the early 90s was Cleveland hey day I remember  saying Cleveland seems more like am average middle of the road team lately and my dad showed me all about how good their teams were in the 90s in both basketball and football. Was probably one of the best teams to ever come out of south east Tennessee.  Now it seems like more of the talent  shifts toward bradley central.  I remember back in the 00s when bradley was lucky to go 3-7 or 4-6 but something in the culture their completely changed around 2010 or 11

If you look at Cleveland’s history, all of their success, even under Coach Monroe, came when they played in the 2nd highest class in the state (AA in 82, 4A in 93, 5A in 13, etc.) they have never experienced a lot of success, outside of their district/region, when playing in the state’s largest class. I remember Bradley going 0-10 one year when I was in Tennessee. 

17 hours ago, 6one5 said:

Lol are you being serious? Riverdale definitely had D1 talent during the 1990s. Also, the 2008-2009 MUS team, 2012 Ensworth, and 2015 and 2017 BA would absolutely beat this team. Oakland while a good team, has a mediocre pass game at best and undersized Oline and Dline. The wing t is a good offense but when you play a team with either an offense that can score quickly and make you have to match it, or a team with a superior Dline, then it struggles which is evident by the games Creasy has lost in the past, and this has been shown even this particular season to be an issue. Oakland will more than likely win state because of their outstanding skill players, but imo would have issues with several teams I listed, as well as even some this season

Don’t soil your pants.  I have a right to my opinion, just as you have the right.  When you look at the number of D-1 football players now in Rutherford County compared to the 90’s there is no comparison.  It is directly related to the increased population.  

23 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Whaaaat? Antron Peebles, Alvin Duke, Fernando Bryant, David Coppeans, Gerald Griffin just from the ‘94 team alone. Every one of them was an SEC recruit, and Bryant had a career in the NFL. And there were others too I can’t recall off the top of my head. Riverdale had a plethora of D1 talent in the 90s.

Yes, they did have some talent.  However, my point being is that overall there is more D-1 talent in RUCo now then back then.  

Edited by TomLHS

Oakland should it run the table and win the 6A title will have put itself in the discussion with victories over CPA, LA and Riverdale before the play-offs event start.  Best teams I have seen:

'90 Lincoln County

'92 Gallatin

'94 Riverdale

'95-'96 BA

'99 MBA

'04 Maryville (so many good Quarles teams from that era; maybe a different one is the best)

I can't remember the Ensworth years but maybe '11 or '12 when they had Jefferson, Darkwa and Elder all in the same backfield...

It's pretty hard to compare todays teams against teams 10-20-30 or more years ago as being the best ever because they will never play each other.Much more easy to say what are the top 5 or 10 teams from every year going back for decades.As to what teams would I say are flat out the greatest in the history of the state ,well that wouldn't exactly mean they are the very best against teams several years in any direction. No question the only team to ever win a a state playoff with only one class would be considered the best team in the state hands down for that year but could the 1938 Elizabethton team compete with todays athletes,well that's a pretty easy "no" but they have to be considered one of the greatest teams because of what they done that year.How about those three teams that have been voted National champions.I'd say all three would have to go down on the greatest list but could teams from the 50'S or 70's compete,same answer against todays very best.So, being that there is no right or wrong answer,I'd say it's everyones guess as to who the best is but Batman has several that would for sure be on the greatest list for their time in history.

18 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

It's pretty hard to compare todays teams against teams 10-20-30 or more years ago as being the best ever because they will never play each other.Much more easy to say what are the top 5 or 10 teams from every year going back for decades.As to what teams would I say are flat out the greatest in the history of the state ,well that wouldn't exactly mean they are the very best against teams several years in any direction. No question the only team to ever win a a state playoff with only one class would be considered the best team in the state hands down for that year but could the 1938 Elizabethton team compete with todays athletes,well that's a pretty easy "no" but they have to be considered one of the greatest teams because of what they done that year.How about those three teams that have been voted National champions.I'd say all three would have to go down on the greatest list but could teams from the 50'S or 70's compete,same answer against todays very best.So, being that there is no right or wrong answer,I'd say it's everyones guess as to who the best is but Batman has several that would for sure be on the greatest list for their time in history.

You're right, the "Best" means the best as of that time period.          In 1950 Tennessee had 3.3 million people, today we are at 6.9M.   Statistically means there are way more guys with superior genetic athletic ability.      In 1950 nobody much lifted weights and did the training they do now.        Maybe they did a lot of cardio back then but not so much with resistance training.         Today you can get good game film on your opponent and technology easily allows you to stop/start, run it very slowly, etc.        So yeah, very hard to compare teams from radically different eras.              I will say that I believe the guys way back then were much tougher than kids today, many of them grew up used to long hard work and were not pampered and showered with everything they want.

6 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

You're right, the "Best" means the best as of that time period.          In 1950 Tennessee had 3.3 million people, today we are at 6.9M.   Statistically means there are way more guys with superior genetic athletic ability.      In 1950 nobody much lifted weights and did the training they do now.        Maybe they did a lot of cardio back then but not so much with resistance training.         Today you can get good game film on your opponent and technology easily allows you to stop/start, run it very slowly, etc.        So yeah, very hard to compare teams from radically different eras.              I will say that I believe the guys way back then were much tougher than kids today, many of them grew up used to long hard work and were not pampered and showered with everything they want.

Well said!  What do you think the average weight of the O/D lines was back in the 80's/90's?  They would be RBs today.

50 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Batman I'm surprised nobody has mentioned your 2018 Greene devils, they were loaded with d1-d2 talent