Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

1 hour ago, Navy21412 said:

I think you make some good points.  For example, as I mentioned before, that Ensworth team from either '11 or '12 had Taverres Jefferson, Corn Elder, and Orleans Darkwa all in the same backfield.  Jefferson played at MTSU, Darkwa at Tulane and Elder at Miami.  Both Darkwa and Elder played in the NFL.  I can't imagine another team in TN history had two guys in the same backfield that played in the NFL.  I think from '98-'00 the only game that MBA lost was at Jackonsville Bolles in a literal hurricane.  And I agree with difference in size, speed, training, coaching today versus the old days.  

On the other hand, none of the teams today (public or private) had to survive the gauntlet of the old 3-class playoffs.  Just for grins I took a look at those '92 3A play-offs.  It's incredible what it was like back then.  9-1 Maryville lost in the first round.  Undefeated Cleveland played undefeated Riverdale in the second round....That undefeated Stratford team beat 8-2 MBA in the first round, and was honestly one of the historically great Metro teams going into the play-offs of all time and lost to HC in the 2nd round.  I don't think anyone in the field had a worse record than 8-2; all the teams in there were really good.  Public/private you had MBA, Father Ryan, Baylor and CBHS in there...CBHS made it the furthest to the quarters.  Times change, probably for the better....but those were some amazing play-offs back then.  Nothing like that today.

Hixon HS had two brothers both in the backfield on the same team which ended up in the NFL Josh and Daniel Bullocks. It's happened a few times. Cleveland HS had the Cobb Brothers along with Dante Hickey. 

Imo, there is a simple answer. IF Oakland runs the table and beats Murvul at home in the semis AND beats Summit in the championship game, there is no doubt in my mind that people will still bring this team up 30-40 yrs down the road while having this same discussion. They most likely would have beaten 2 of the best D-II programs in the state, a very good Riverdale team 2x, and two outstanding teams in the semis and championship games. A couple of these teams will be returning champs, a possible third current champ in LA (based on last Fridays rout over CPA) and all of these teams have multiple D-1 caliber athletes on their teams that play multiple sports which will only add to Oaklands legacy. 

IF they stumble just once, they will forever be in the discussion of best teams to NOT win a TN state championship. 

Edited by FargoStrut
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Imo, there is a simple answer. IF Oakland runs the table and beats Murvul at home in the semis AND beats Summit in the championship game, there is no doubt in my mind that people will still bring this team up 30-40 yrs down the road while having this same discussion. They most likely would have beaten 2 of the best D-II programs in the state, a very good Riverdale team 2x, and two outstanding teams in the semis and championship games. A couple of these teams will be returning champs, a possible third current champ in LA (based on last Fridays rout over CPA) and all of these teams have multiple D-1 caliber athletes on their teams that play multiple sports which will only add to Oaklands legacy. 

IF they stumble just once, they will forever be in the discussion of best teams to NOT win a TN state championship. 

Agree 100%

3 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

If you want tix to see that semifinals matchup, you know who to call my brother!

On 10/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, Meat99 said:

You mean the 93-95’ Cleveland teams with 180lbs O-Lineman And 160Lbs LB’s to go along with Stepfon Woods?  No disrespect to what they did during that era, but I think I’ll Stick to the list of teams loaded with D1 talent that also Dominated. 

Huh? Lol 180lb oline man 160 pound DBs lol u lost me there. We average 280 with Me, Eric Stout, and Terrance Constant 300 lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

Huh? Lol 180lb oline man 160 pound DBs lol u lost me there. We average 280 with Me, Eric Stout, and Terrance Constant 300 lol

That's what I'm saying. Most of these guys who picked other teams are Mid State homers. Chris at FB was 240 at least...

Edited by JSamson7

4 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

That's what I'm saying. Most of these guys who picked other teams are Mid State homers. Chris at FB was 240 at least...

Definitely Mid state homers. Not taking anything else away from the other teams. But don’t be stating blasphemous points to try to make a point sound better. Heck Stepfon was even more than 180 pounds lol. As good as Stepfon was he didn’t start still his Junior year because of y’all the talent we had in the backfield.

Edited by fooseball95

2 minutes ago, WoodlawnFalcons said:

Powell didn't win state and wouldn't be a top 5 team in the state that year. They're very irrelevant to this discussion. 

It is certainly relevant to the conversation, sir or madam. I am stating that they were a generational ball club. I am uncertain if you had the chance to watch them compete and perform. I am assuming you did not or your tune would most likely not be the same. You are; however, welcome to move right along.

Just now, Czar said:

It is certainly relevant to the conversation, sir or madam. I am stating that they were a generational ball club. I am uncertain if you had the chance to watch them compete and perform. I am assuming you did not or your tune would most likely not be the same. You are; however, welcome to move right along.

A generational ball club that didn't win state? I watched them lose to a half way decent Henry Co team. They would be close to not being a top 10 team in the state just that year. So why would they be relevant in a discussion on the best teams in the state ever??

Just now, WoodlawnFalcons said:

A generational ball club that didn't win state? I watched them lose to a half way decent Henry Co team. They would be close to not being a top 10 team in the state just that year. So why would they be relevant in a discussion on the best teams in the state ever??

Even some of the best teams to ever play the game can struggle from time to time. Take into consideration the 1998 Tennessee Volunteers Football Team. Most argue that they were THE BEST college football team to ever take the field in any era or generation. Still, think about all the close games and things that had to fall into place for them to have a perfect season. Wake Up, sir!

2 minutes ago, Czar said:

Even some of the best teams to ever play the game can struggle from time to time. Take into consideration the 1998 Tennessee Volunteers Football Team. Most argue that they were THE BEST college football team to ever take the field in any era or generation. Still, think about all the close games and things that had to fall into place for them to have a perfect season. Wake Up, sir!

Sorry but that 1998 Tennessee team is no where close to the best team over in college. Maybe in Tennessees history but not in all of college football 

• Like 2