Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

2 hours ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Ha!  Should have said, Oakland was very fortunate to win.  Lipscomb moved the ball up and down the field with ease multiple times without a score at the goal line.  One of Oakland's TD's was a scoop and score for 50 yards.  Not an 80 yard drive on the Lipscomb defense.

Kind of like how Lipscomb was very fortunate that Oakland gave them a head start with turnovers. Oakland overcame their adversity, LA didnt

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Kind of like how Lipscomb was very fortunate that Oakland gave them a head start with turnovers. Oakland overcame their adversity, LA didnt

You are right about that.  LA didn't have a scoop and score 50 yard fumble recovery nor able to capitalize on the lateral fumble that was returned for a TD, but the whistle blew it dead.

On 11/26/2021 at 11:02 PM, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

No question Lipscomb Academy gave Oakland the toughest game this year.  Keep in mind, Oakland stopped Lipscomb on 2 multiple down goal line stands resulting in zero points.  Oakland blocked a Lipscomb field goal.  Oakland did a scoop and score fumble for a 50 yard TD.  There was a non-call lateral that was a Lipscomb touchdown called back.  Lastly, a play that feet got tangled up on a 3rd and 16 incomplete pass that was called pass interference that turned into an Oakland TD.

Like I said, Oakland is no way the best team ever.  Now as far as Lipscomb Academy defeat, you lost fellow.  No need to make excuses.  Shoulda…coulda…woulda……is living in the past. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Regarding best team ever, Brentwood Academy was ranked #3 in USA Today 2 years in a row in 1987 1988 I think.

You could very well be right those Brentwood Academy teams might mop the floor with this year's Oakland team, honestly I don't know.

In 94 before several social media platforms could enhance a team an player, (Basketball) Oak Hill Academy was coming off back to back national champions. This team in Johnson City that had no national exposure lost their best player Rob Williams to Oak Hill, that ticked off them Johnson City Boys so they schedule Oak Hill and beat them convincely, none of them kids from science hill went on to play d1 because nobody knew who they were and Oak Hill had 8-10 players that went d1 and some became millionaires in the NBA. Science Hill beat and finish with a better record than Oak Hill still Oak Hill finish ranked higher than Science Hill in the nation that year by people that never seen either team play. Rankings are irrelevant.

So if Brentwood Academy were better than Oakland I wouldn't say because they finish with a better ranking. At one time this season Oakland was ranked #10 in the nation not at any point this year did anybody in TN actually believe they were the 10th best team in the country.

Not gonna say they're the best team in TN HS history but I will say that they should and will be in the discussion 20-30 yrs down the road. The schedule alone that this team played and went 15-0 against is VERY impressive. That in and of itself should be respected, no matter where you think this team ranks in TN HS football history!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Not gonna say they're the best team in TN HS history but I will say that they should and will be in the discussion 20-30 yrs down the road. The schedule alone that this team played and went 15-0 against is VERY impressive. That in and of itself should be respected, no matter where you think this team ranks in TN HS football history!

Well said

10 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Yep.  It's just not possible to compare teams from different eras of football.  

But I agree with you.  This Oakland team would certainly be in the discussion.  

I would say they are one of the best, It's hard to compare teams of schools of different sizes and different eras, Offenses change from the single wing to the split t, to the I and power I to the wishbone and veer to the Wing T and now the spread and zone read.  You have periods where defenses dominate, then offenses, we are definately in an offensive era now, Teams today are bigger, stronger and faster than teams even 10 years ago to due to off season work and conditioning, Yes, this Oakland team is one of the best, but I would add Maryville in the 2000s and 2010s had some great teams, Oakland's cross town rival Riverdale had some pretty good teams in the 90s and early 2000s under Rankin, Oak Ridge 1991, Gallatin, Jefferson County and Germantown in the late 70s and early 80s. Tennessee High of Bristol in 1971 and 1972 is highly regarded. All these after the TSSAA Playoff System began in 1969.  I can't even begin to mention them all.  

5 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I would say they are one of the best, It's hard to compare teams of schools of different sizes and different eras, Offenses change from the single wing to the split t, to the I and power I to the wishbone and veer to the Wing T and now the spread and zone read.  You have periods where defenses dominate, then offenses, we are definately in an offensive era now, Teams today are bigger, stronger and faster than teams even 10 years ago to due to off season work and conditioning, Yes, this Oakland team is one of the best, but I would add Maryville in the 2000s and 2010s had some great teams, Oakland's cross town rival Riverdale had some pretty good teams in the 90s and early 2000s under Rankin, Oak Ridge 1991, Gallatin, Jefferson County and Germantown in the late 70s and early 80s. Tennessee High of Bristol in 1971 and 1972 is highly regarded. All these after the TSSAA Playoff System began in 1969.  I can't even begin to mention them all.  

Oaklund weren't no good accordin' to some.  Couldn't even beat McCallie in a practice pretend game of tackle football is what i'm hearin'.:P

6 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Excellent post! I will always rank ‘93 Cleveland as the best I ever saw. But, they will never be recognized (nor do they deserve to be) because of the weak schedule they played. Same is true of mid 90’s Marion Co. led by Eric Westmorland. They dominated like few have. I’m pretty sure Jeff Co. won more total games than anybody in the 80’s. They would have surely won more than one state title if not for Rhea Co. That was a strange series. They met 8 or 10 straight years in the regular season, plus twice in the playoffs. The visiting team won every single game.